Recently we have bought a VP300 printer and its great. We use this for shirt printing mainly... the question I have is when a customer has for example a 3 colour job (e.g 1st outline black, 2nd outline red and main colour white) I currently create the name and number to the size I need and duplicate this 3 times and apply the stoke around each part as I need the 1st outlne to have a cutmark around it.. is there a way of doing this easily?
Idealy I would like to use appearance tab as I have more control on what I can do and it would be quicker for me when I need to change names and numbers etc... although when I do it this way I cannot see a way to outline the stroke - I need to do this because the fonts I use will not embed in the eps so when I import it into VersaWorks it applys a standard font.
I hope this makes sense to somebody.
I'm not too sure if this is what you're looking for but...
You can outline the fonts by going to Type>Create Outlines
and you can outline the strokes by going to Object>Expand...
In order to get what I think you want, you may:
1) Create the Type (main colour white);
2) In the Appearance palette/panel Add New Stroke (with the outermost shape black);
3) In the Appearance palette/panel Add New Stroke (with the intermediate shape red);
This should give the appearance as Live Type (I believe that is what your question starts with), and then:
4) Type>Create Outlines to get a Group of (Compound/simple) letter shaped Paths;
5) Object>Expand Appearance to get three Groups of (Compound/simple) letter shaped Paths, one for each colour;
6) In the Layers palette/panel select the black Group and Object>Path>Outline Stroke.