13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 6:01 AM by toymaker1

Difference between path and page

toymaker1 Level 1

I an learning Illustrator, and whle experimenting I noticed that if I cleared the fill from a filled shape, what had previously been a path (the line surrounding the shape) becomes described as a page, and I cant select it, or do anything with it.

I do not understand this.

Could anyone tell me what is happening here?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Difference between path and page
          tromboniator Level 4

I have to admit that you have me baffled. What are you doing to "clear the fill," and what is describing–or where are you finding the description of–your shape as a page?

Peter

• 2. Re: Difference between path and page
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

toymaker,

The behaviour you describe sounds like your hovering the mouse/whatever over the border of the Artboard with Smart Guides on.

It may be a coincidence where you have had a rectangular path corresponding to the Artboard; that could happen if you had released and deleted a coinciding Crop Area/Marks (in one of the versions still using it).

• 3. Re: Difference between path and page
              tromboniator Level 4

I'm glad you're on the job, Jacob. I think it's time for me to go to bed. Big blizzard today – I'm exhausted.

Peter

• 4. Re: Difference between path and page
                toymaker1 Level 1

Hello Tromboniator

This is what I did:

1. Created a shape which has a stroke and a fill.

2. Clicked Artboard tool to edit artboard.

3. Created a second artboard which contains a copy of the original shape. (Copy artboard with artwork).

Artboards 01 and 02 and now contain identical shapes.

3.Click selection tool and move the shape on artboard 02.

4 Shape (fill and stroke) moves, leaving a solid black outline where shape was before I moved it.

5. When this black outline is selected, the word "page" is highlighted in green, where I would normally expect to see "path".

6. The outline called "page is now on artboard 02 in additon to the original copy of the filled shape which moved with the artboard

when artboard 02 was created.

Hope that is not too confusing. It would be nice to understand what is actually going on here!

Regards

• 5. Re: Difference between path and page

Sleep well, Peter. Hopefully the moose will not bump into the house and alert the dogs.

• 6. Re: Difference between path and page

toymaker,

I believe I should leave this one to someone being helped by an older and more mature Illy.

Someone?

• 7. Re: Difference between path and page
                      tromboniator Level 4

Thanks, Jacob. Wouldn't be the first time.

• 8. Re: Difference between path and page
                        tromboniator Level 4

Toymaker,

Jacob and I are both using more elderly versions than you are, so I'm afraid we have to bow out. Sorry.

Peter

• 9. Re: Difference between path and page
                          JETalmage Level 6

You have the SmartGuides feature turned on. As you move your cursor, you are seeing SmartGuides text hints of the objects/edges the SmartGuides feature is sensing.

In Illustrator's stupid, against-the-norm terminology:

A Page is strictly the paper you put in your printer. On screen, pages are not even visible, unless you turn on the Show Page Tiling option, which displays page tiles as dashed rectangles. In the Illustrator document, they are just regions which position the page rulers relative to the Artboards, and thereby define what portion of the artwork gets printed onto a physical paper page when you print. Typically, you set up your page tiling to match the size of your Artboard, and make sure the ruler origin is aligned to the bottom-left corner of the Artboard. That positions the origin of the default single Page Tile to the origin of the Artboard.

An Artboard is the on-screen region in which you draw, usually corresponding to the trim of the finished document you are building--What every other program on the planet refers to as a page. Up until version CS4, Illustrator has been limited to a single Artboard per file. Illustrator's workaround for that decades-old backward limitation is nothing more than a re-packaging of what in its previous versions were called Crop Areas. Crop Areas were rectangular regions you could define as printable, with everything outside them still existing, but not printing. In decades-late response to demand and competitive pressure for proper multiple pages, CS3 added the ability to define multiple Crop Areas in one document. This was the first half-baked attempt to provide something akin to multiple pages. In CS4, an interface was piled upon the multiple Crop Areas feature to make it feel more like normal pages in any other program, while still clinging to the silly and confusing "Artboards" metaphor. That's why, contrary to intuition of anyone looking for a normal pages functionality, CS4's multiple "Artboards" can actually be overlapped; it's just the existing functionality of the previous Crop Areas feature, now called "multiple Artboards."

Artboards do not have fill or stroke attributes. There is no "background" (as Photoshop users often expect there to be).

A Path is a Bezier curve object that you draw with one of the drawing tools. A Path can have any combination Fills, Strokes, and/or Effects applied to it.

Basic to understanding programs like Illustrator: Vector drawing programs create objects. Any region in which there is no objects is simply empty. Non-object areas have no fill, no stroke, no nothing. Non-object areas are just space. Everything you create in a vector drawing program--be it an illustration, a brochure, a sign, or whatever--is just a stack of objects. Objects are vector Paths, raster Images, or text objects.

JET

• 10. Re: Difference between path and page
                            toymaker1 Level 1

Hi Jet

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I did not understand most of what you were saying- too technical for me.

However, regarding the bits I could understand, you are correct that I had smart guides turned on.

The smart guides faciility enabled the word "page" to be highlighted in green.

The fact is, as I said previously, there is an object on the artboard which I dont understand.

It is an un-editable black line which appeared in the space previously occupied by the shape I moved.

Where there would normally be a path, there is a line in the same space, (within the area of the artboard) called "page".

I am baffled.

Regards

• 11. Re: Difference between path and page
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

When you clicked on the artboard tool you will create an arboard the size of the object you click on in this case since it is a rectangle so you might not realize that you now have an artboard and a rectangle in the same place. Then when you select the selection tool and you hover over the object it says page meaning the artboard. If you move the object the artboard stays where it was and when you hover over it it will say page.

so once you have duplicated the page and object with the artboard tool and the option key held down you have to move the object with the selection tool.

Even if you thought you did this you must have inadvertently move the object with the artboard tool in order for it to make an artboard the size of the rectangle.

To see what I mean draw an ellipse anywhere and then select the artboard tool. now click on the on ellipse object with the artboard tool and you will see the new artboard being created.

I hope this helps.

• 12. Re: Difference between path and page
                                toymaker1 Level 1

Hello Wade

Just about the same time I saw your message, it dawned on me what appeared to be happening - which is as you say in your reply.

The copied/duplicated artwork on artboard 02 itself occupied the whole space of an artboard which was the same size as the artwork, within artboard 02 - so I guess it is artboard 03. So when I moved the artwork the outline of artboard 03 became visible - the edge of the artboard being identified by the word "page".

It is all very mysterious behaviour to me - but at least I can see now what was happening.

Regards.

Peter de Wit

• 13. Re: Difference between path and page
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Sometimes it just takes the little wheels a little more times.

But we usually figure it out. I always find it amusing myself when I figure my own error out. After yu know it seems so simple.

Have a great day