4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 9:36 AM by Biswamit

Building Flex application with Flex Builder in a Remote Server - Cloud Computing

Biswamit

Hey Guys

I have a query or its confusion probably

I was just thinking if this kind of solution is existing or possible with say cloud computing or anything else?

This is what we all probably do for building our flex application?

1. There is Remote Server hosting our source code

2. Developer check out the code in their system locally by some Configuration tool like Perforce, CVS etc

3. Developer Install Flex  Builder IDE locally and open the IDE and then create.build locally and then on testing check in the code in repository

All this is fine but we have some problem here

a. We have to get all the source code checked out/downloaded in some local machine

b. We have to install Flex Builder in each every developer machine with license.

A possible modification in the above can be as follows

1. Don't download/check out the source code locally in each machine

2. Create a mapped network drive of the Remote Repository and then work directly with the mapped network drive

3. Install Flex Builder  locally

4. Start Flex Builder create a Flex Project with source code in the mapped network drive

But this has some potential problem as now the building of the flex application directly work with the mapped network drive. This is very slow especially when we Keep the "Build Automatically" Check box to true

My question is that can we have a solution like this ?

1. There is Remote Server hosting our source code

2. There is another 2nd Remote Server which support workspace for each user

3. Flex Builder installed in the 2nd Remote Server

4. Each Developer connects to the 2nd Remote Server log in to their workspace

5. Each developer check out code by connecting to 1st Remote Server. This code which is checked out now goes in their workspace in the 2nd Remote Server

6. Start Flex Builder instance which is running in the 2nd Remote Server

5. Each developer open source code modifies, build application in their workspace and check

I think this is something that I heard cloud computing can do ? Do anyone have any idea whether this kind of environment is possible in Flex or can anyone suggest something which is almost close to this ?

Regards

Biswamit

• 1. Re: Building Flex application with Flex Builder in a Remote Server - Cloud Computing
          jake_flex Level 2

If I understood your post correctly, you wish to have the Flex Builder installed on a server and have multiple users on it at the same time. If you only have one Flex Builder license, the above use case probably violates the license. Theoretically it's the same as installing Flex Builder with one lincense on multiple PCs.

If the cost of licenses is the issue, I'd recommend just using the Flex SDK with Eclipse and Ant. Those Open Source tools. In my opinion the only place where the Flex Builder is essential is with UI design (component placement).

P.S. I think I have misunderstood (part of your) post, since I don't see how this is cloud computing? Can you explain a bit more?

• 2. Re: Building Flex application with Flex Builder in a Remote Server - Cloud Computing
            Biswamit Level 1

Hi

The concept of cloud computing is not even very clear to me

I think this is what I understood about it ...........from this link http://communication.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing.htm

It says

"Instead of installing a suite of software for each computer, you'd only have to load one application. That application would allow workers to log into a Web-based service which hosts all the programs the user would need for his or her job. Remote machines owned by another company would run everything from e-mail to word processing to complex data analysis programs. It's called cloud computing, and it could change the entire computer industry"

"There's a good chance you've already used some form of cloud computing. If you have an e-mail account with a Web-based e-mail service like Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail or Gmail, then you've had some experience with cloud computing. Instead of running an e-mail program on your computer, you log in to a Web e-mail account remotely"

My issue is not with the license. The solution that I am looking for is

1. Don't want the developer to download the source code in any fashion either checked out or anything else in the local machine

2. Want the developer to work directly on the server

3. Looking for a solution where each developer is not required to install Flex Builder locally and the developer can use Flex Builder that is installed on the server and in his workspace and create/modify build on the server itself

Hope I could make you understand this time ................

Regards

Biswamit

• 3. Re: Building Flex application with Flex Builder in a Remote Server - Cloud Computing
              jake_flex Level 2

I'm not sure, but isn't Eclipse/Flex Builder written with Java. If so, the you could take a look at web start to see whether you can somehow share the program through that. Then you'd still need to 'download' the IDE for every programmer.

What's the problem with installing the Flex Builder on server and having programmers log in and use it?

• 4. Re: Building Flex application with Flex Builder in a Remote Server - Cloud Computing
                Biswamit Level 1

Hi

I think installation of Flex builder in a remote server and programmer log in and working there would solve a problem  for only one such developer rt ?

But in case we have a bunch of developer then will this work ?

Or Is there any technology where you install separate instances of Flex Builder for separate user in their separate workspace in a server machine ?

Or Is there any technology which can clone one installation of Flex Builder and give a leverage for different user to work in their workspace and start its cloned instance and work separately with their own module

I am really confused .....................please clarify

Message was edited by: Biswamit