5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 1:05 PM by the_wine_snob

What project preset for HD TV PAL ?

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

UK is my location.

Premiere Pro CS3.

HD TV's are 1920 x 1080 resolution.

New project>select a preset, I can see HDV 1080p25 and thats 1440h 1080v.  480 less in width, thats a lot. 25% in fact of a HD TV width.

Does CS4 have a preset for HD TV ?

Likewise I dont see anything near HD Ready, 1366 x 768 is a common HD Ready, the HDV 720p25 preset gives 1280h 720v, I dont see this on any TV resolution charts either.

Why are the presets not the resolutions in use on TV's or on the Wikipedia chart of such http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg ?

What should I be choosing for a HD video making project or HD Ready ?

Would CS4 offer those I need ?

Envirographics

• 1. Re: What project preset for HD TV PAL ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You should choose a preset that EXACTLY matches what you shot. Delivery format only comes into play after you have finished editing, when you are exporting. For the rest start reading the manual and help file and some books and watch tutorials or follow classes in video editing, so you have at least an understanding about PAR, dimensions, codecs, delivery formats, interlaced and progressive and cameras.

• 2. Re: What project preset for HD TV PAL ?
            envirographics Level 1

Hi,

Ah...now understood on presets should match original footage. Thanks for that.

In my case though I have only stills and was thinking of making a slide show with also a montage pan .

What would I choose in that situation if aiming to make the video for HD 1920 x 1080 ?...no preset there that match my camera resolution of 3504 x 2336, I dont though see the point of working with 23Mb files as the TV cannot make use of all those pixels, no doubt Premiere will deal with that but such may slow it down during the project. I thought of resampling to suit a preset so hence the quandary again, what preset to use.

I have sussed from surfing the net that 1:1 pixel aspect ratio and progressive will be good for stills.

I have surfed the net for advice on stills and resolutions but not seen anything on this aspect of what project preset to start with. No tutorials either. Grateful to know of any links though to such.

Envirographics

• 3. Re: What project preset for HD TV PAL ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You can use the Desktop Preset to "customize" the settings to suit.

You will want to Scale your stills in PS, prior to Import into PrPro though. You are right that all those extra pixels cannot be used, so PrPro will Scale, and the quality will be better if you do this in PS, as it is an image editing program and has better Scaling algorithms, plus more control. This ARTICLE will give you tips on an automated workflow. The smaller images will require less overhead for processing. This is one time, where "bigger is not better."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: What project preset for HD TV PAL ?
                envirographics Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, now I am up and running.

I see that, custom tab and desktop in drop down, entered my photo pixel dimensions in the width and height and chose square pixel as pshop made the pics and they are square pixels. I hope this avoids distortion. I shall be creating a movie for HD Ready, images not big enough to go for full HD and client is happy for such as he has just bought HD Ready.

Envirographics

• 5. Re: What project preset for HD TV PAL ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that Desktop did it for you. I would like to see Adobe change that name to "Custom," but then "Desktop" has been around for a long time.

Good luck,

Hunt