12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 12:18 PM by brettr2

Images still there after cutting (razor tool)

brettr2 Level 1

I've used the razor tool to cut out some frames from a single video track.  This creates two tracks, which I've pushed together. I then applied the video transition affect cross dissolve.   I noticed that only in the dissolve, the cut frames were bleeding through some how.  After removing the dissolve and expanding one of the two video tracks, I can see the cut frames are still there.  The razor tool didn't do anything different than if I had just manually compressed the track (grabbed edge and slid back).  I can't find any info in the help about this behavior.

What am I doing wrong that these frames are still present?

• 1. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is because you did not allow adequate Handles, which are necessary for Transitions.

Here's a bit more about Handles:

Handles_01.jpgHandles_02.jpg

The Help Files (F1) will go into a lot more detail on Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
            brettr2 Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I don't see how this applies.  I understand what it is stating but I have frames that only appear when I do a Cross Dissolve transition.  I remove the transition and those frames are in neither sequence.  Actually, I don't see them in either sequence with the dissolve.  But when I increment through the timeline, they appear and are also there in the final product.

The strange thing is that I can keep cutting out those frames and push together the two sequence, then when I apply the dissolve, the cut frames always come back.

• 3. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Say you have two clips, one contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The second contains the numbers 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

When you razor off number 5 from the first clip and number 6 from the second clip and butt them together, the result will be:

1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Now when you add a dissolve in the middle, you will see the handles at the transition, so 4, 5 fading out, 6 fading in, 7, etc.

That is what happens and is explained in the diagram from Bill and in the help file. A solution may be to use opacity the fade out 4 and fade in 7.

• 4. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that they do not appear, when you have no Transitions is that your In & Out-points visually cut the off. However, when you apply your Dissolve, you are now using material beyond those In & Out-points, the Handles. Now, you will see those Frames. The way around this is to move your In & Out-points by a few Frames, so that the Handles are now long enough to NOT include those Frames, that you do not want.

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want a full cross dissolve in a clip that has been razored you need to remove the same amout of frames as the duration of the transition.

So if your transition last 1 second (= 30 frames) you need to remove 15 frames on one side and 15 frames on the other side of the cut.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                    brettr2 Level 1

Thanks Bill.  Do the In/Out points apply only to entire tracks rather than clips on a track?  I can't seem to apply an In/Out to each clip.

• 7. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Use the source monitor to set in and out points on individual clips.

• 8. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you have your Clips in the Timeline already, probably the easiest way to add the Handles (setting the In & Out-points now), is to zoom in on your Timeline, and have your Info Panel open and visible. Just Ctrl-click on the Head, or Tail of a Clip and drag into the Clip by a few frames. You can see this clearly in the Info Panel. If you are getting only a couple of "stray" Frames, that will be about all that you will need to alter each Clip. I added the Ctrl modifier key, so that your changes will ripple through the entire Timeline, closing the gap, that would otherwise occur. That keeps everything together with no gaps created and saves a ton of moving of Clips. When you use the Ctrl, you can see your Cursor change to a big, bold [ with an arrow in it.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

Take Harm's suggestion to heart, as that is the easiest way to set the In and Out-points, before you drag your Clip instances to the Timeline - the Source Panel.

• 9. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                          brettr2 Level 1

Ok.  When you say info panel, do you mean context menu?  That is the only difference I see when using the Control key.  The bold, red, bracket with an arrow through it is always there when I'm at the head or tail.

By the way, source monitor doesn't make any difference.  Only one In/Out per track.

• 10. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The Info Panel is Window>Info (unless CS4 moved it). Normally, it is docked with History and Effects in that Pane.

You have the [, but when you press Ctrl, you should see it grow in size.

As for the Source Monitor, just Dbl-click on the Clip, and IT will open in the Source Monitor, and the In & Out-points will be shown. You can move them about there. If you just Open the Source Monitor, you will see the Timeline. It's the Clip that you want loaded into it - the Dbl-click does that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                              brettr2 Level 1

Perfect. I see them.  Thanks.

• 12. Re: Images still there after cutting (razor tool)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Once one has fought Handles for the first time, it will become second nature.

One thing that also throws people is when they have used the Razor to "cut" the Video. In the days of film, if one used the splicing block, the Frames were physically cut off. With an non-destructive NLE, like PrPro, those Frames are NOT cut off. They are still there in the source video in the Project Panel, and what one has on the Timeline is but a set of instructions. Add the Transition and the instructions are rewritten to read "OK, he needs more of those Frames for his Transition - go get 'em."

Now something else, very similar, that can be a tripping point is when one Trims Clips, Exports those as an AV file and Imports then into another Project/Sequence. All Handles are now gone, unlike having used the Razor. They are no longer there. This is something to consider, if one is Exporting for later Import, or if they are using the Project Manager, and choosing to Trim Clips. If any later editing will be done, involving Transitions, then use the option to Include Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt