3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2007 4:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Why is my banner shifting by 1px to the left and right

audio90 Level 1
      Hi there,

I put up a banner that will be the main graphic with menu for my website at www.happysexyyou.com.

The image was made in illustrator, sliced and saved as html and then put into the dreamweaver template. I like the way it looks but I notice that the image does a 1 pixel shift to the left, then to the right, then back to the left whenever I reload it.

I can't figure out why this is, and it's the first time I've seen this problem. Can anyone see why and help me remove the shifting?

Thanks.

Ron
        • 1. Why is my banner shifting by 1px to the left and right
          Nick Barling Level 1
          I had a quick look and your table based images are sliced in 14 sections to make up the banner. The top three images have a combined width of 803 pixels but you table has a width of 800px, so there is a discrepancy there of 3 pixels. This could be part/all of the problem? Illustrator does not do a great job of automating this type of slicing and manual slicing requires care to reduce the amount of slices and 1 px fills that you can get.

You could make the whole banner more semantic and developer friendly with a little CSS and selective slicing rather than the antiquated job that Illustrator does. The same could be said for the navigation menu too. Not that it would not work as it should but there are better ways of getting these things done. I am trying to be constructive, so please don't take offense at my comments.

Incidentally, I did not see a pixel shift onload or reload when I viewed the page in Firefox v2.
          • 2. Re: Why is my banner shifting by 1px to the left and right
            bregent Most Valuable Participant
            >You could make the whole banner more semantic and developer friendly with a little CSS
            >and selective slicing rather than the antiquated job that Illustrator does.

Not to mention that the banner alone is about 800 kbytes! OK, I just mentioned it.
            • 3. Re: Why is my banner shifting by 1px to the left and right
              Level 7
              Mozilla based browsers have a problem with odd widths like that. I'm
              betting that if you change the widths to 802 px (still too wide in my
              opinion) you'll see it stop.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"Nick Barling" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fdq4b2$h72$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I had a quick look and your table based images are sliced in 14 sections to
              > make up the banner. The top three images have a combined width of 803
              > pixels
              > but you table has a width of 800px, so there is a discrepancy there of 3
              > pixels. This could be part/all of the problem? Illustrator does not do a
              > great
              > job of automating this type of slicing and manual slicing requires care to
              > reduce the amount of slices and 1 px fills that you can get.
              >
              > You could make the whole banner more semantic and developer friendly with
              > a
              > little CSS and selective slicing rather than the antiquated job that
              > Illustrator does. The same could be said for the navigation menu too. Not
              > that
              > it would not work as it should but there are better ways of getting these
              > thing
              > done.
              >
              > Incidentally, I did not see a pixel shift onload or reload when I viewed
              > the
              > page in Firefox v2.
              >