7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 3:41 AM by Aaikman

Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email

skimball5561

Does anyone have a resource that can show me how to eliminate a runtime error with Reader 9.3.1, Windows XP w/ SP3 and IE7. I have recently had all .pdf files located on my hard drive and in emails refuse to open because of this message:

"Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information."

So far, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Reader 9.3 from the website; added update 9.3.1 and tried to reopen files with no success.

My organization sends a ton of .pdf files and it is not good when you can't open them for review and action.

• 1. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
          Nemuri1949 Level 1

Have you tried creating a new user on your computer and see if you can open them under the user?  Some times a corrupt user account can cause runtime errors.  Just a thought.

• 2. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
            HenkvW

I am experiencing exactly the same problems on one of two identical machines after something happened in the registry.

The first problem that appered was an error 1325 "Favorites is not a valid short name".

I did find the registry key involved (%userprofile%\Favorites) and fixed it.

So now the the next one: yours.

I think the solution can be found in the list of registry keys that Adobe Reader is accessing.

btw Eusing registry cleaner did not find this key to be in error.

Problem is that the Reader does not ask for an alternative location after stumbling on the key.

Who can generate a list of keys accessed?

Creating a new useraccount is a useful tip as it will generate a new set of %userprofile% registry keys. WIll try soon.

• 3. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
              DarkenSky

Hi,
              This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected.
              "The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \\. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

The above note didn't work for me in Windows 7. Also the slashes (/) should be (\). But I made few changes and follow this below. 

Enter this for the registry key:

Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to

%UserProfile%\AppData\

Worked for me.

• 5. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
                meofcourse1

Hi All,

Although I don't normally post in forums, I thought it prudent to lay this matther to rest.  I have tested the following solution:

It appears that Adobe Reader likes to check access to each parent folder as well as the actual application data folder.  Apparantly there are other programs that also do similar things. As a result if you have your appdata redirected to \\server1\profiles\%username%\appdata adobe reader would first try directly access \\server1\profiles.  If the user does not have to Traverse folder permission, this fails. Typically you will need to change your permissions on you profile share from:

-                   Users - Read Attributes (Apply to: This folder, subfolders and files)

-                   Users - Read Extended Attributes (Apply to: This folder, subfolders and files)

-                  Users - Create Folders/Append Data (Apply to: This folder, subfolders and files)

-                   Users - Read Permissions (Apply to: This folder, subfolders and files)

To the share permissions suggested by Microsoft in KB 274443:

-                   Everyone - Create Folder/Append Data (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

-                   Everyone - List Folder/Read Data (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

-                   Everyone - Read Attributes (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

-                   Everyone - Traverse Folder/Execute File (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

Hopefully this helps everyone.

• 6. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
                  sbrownttd

Hi,

I too had this error:

"Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Just for a heads up this is the way that i resolved the issue.

1. Uninstall all Adobe software (Reader, Flash, ect)

2. Download a program off the internet called CCLEANER - you can download this from a number of websites just by googling and the software is also free.

3. Install and run CCLEANER - once open, run a registry scan for issues (using CCLEANER), it will probably show hundreds of issues if its the first time you have scanned.

4. It should find a registry issue with the follwing file - AcroRd32.exe.  Fix all registry issues and scan again.  You will have to do this 2-3 times before it wont find any more issues.

5. Once everything has been cleaned you can now reinstall Adobe software, and the runtime error should now have been resolved.

Just thought id share incase anyone still has the same issue.

Thanks

Steven

• 7. Re: Reader 9.3 produces Runtime error for all .pdf files on hard drive and email
                    Aaikman Level 1

I had the same problem with version 10.0.0 and then applied patch 10.0.1.

It only was resolved after I had downloaded the 10.0.1 (complete version). So clearly there is a problem with applying patches on major versions I think.

br,

Bert