5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 2:50 PM by chriscatalano

Help with drop-in text animation

chriscatalano

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to create a specific text animation, but I'm having a little difficulty.  I'd like to have the text drop in in a random order into its final spot.  I can get close using the text drop-in animation, but I'd really like the 'source' of the text dropping in to be from a single point.  Picture a watering can pouring the letters out and they randomly fall into their correct spot in a phrase. The default look of the drop-in animation is that each character drops from its corresponding spot in the phrase. I've played with changing the tracking, using the 'before' setting and managed to squeeze the space that the text is dropping from, but that causes the letter to appear to move after they've already landed.  You can see a rough draft here:  http://www.c2-it.com/clients/a/textdrop.mov

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get closer to what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

CJ

• 1. Re: Help with drop-in text animation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Use multiple layers with opacity animators - one for the dripping stream, one already in place to reveal the text. You are overcomplicating things unnecessarily.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help with drop-in text animation
            chriscatalano Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure I understand, though.  Are you saying to put each letter on its own layer and animate them dropping into place?

Thanks,

CJ

• 3. Re: Help with drop-in text animation
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that he was recommending using multiple text animators within a single text layer.

For some examples and lessons about using text animation in After Effects, see this page: "Example and resources for text animation"

• 4. Re: Help with drop-in text animation
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Use one layer with the text in its final position. Use scale or opacity animators to hide the text, then animate the selectors associated with the reveal. if you know some expression math, use an expression selector, otehrwise combine conventional range selectors. You may need up to one selector for each letter, but using wiggly selectors may also help. Then create a second layer that only uses a vertical position animator to create the illusion of text dripping in. You can animate this layer's position property to align it wit hteh remaining gaps in the text and create the illusion.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Help with drop-in text animation
                  chriscatalano Level 1

Todd, thanks for the reference to the tutorials.  They helped me understand a little more how the animators work.

Mylenium, I'm still a little confused on your approach.  I've got the base text layer and added an animator for opacity.  I set it for random and that works fine, the letters randomly appear and complete the phrase.  For the 'pouring in' part, I added a second text layer and animated the position property, but the text still originates from its original place in the phrase.  I can't get it to originate from a single point.  Also, I'm not even sure I understood about using multiple selectors for the 1st layer.  Just using the animator for opacity with a random setting seems to provide the correct 'ending' of the animation.

Thanks Again,
                  CJ