8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 5:12 AM by Marshall_C

Motion on a curved path

Andy Post

I've been using the motion attribute found in the edit effects window.  I've noticed from time to time that I've created a curved path that the image will follow.  Up until now I've deleted the anchor points and started over.

Now, however, I'd like to have an image move in a less linear fashion, but have no idea how I stumbled into what I'd previously thought of as a problem.

Any ideas how to do this on purpose?

• 1. Re: Motion on a curved path
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

For me, the easiest way to do this is to choose the main points (hence the name Keyframes) of the motion path (note: this is not like Text on a Path, drawn with the Pen Tool in many programs), and then use Continuous Bezier for those Keyframes This "smooths" everything out. I personally use the X-Y coordinate numbers, rather than drag the Bounding Box, but that is just me. If you need to map things out visually, I'd go to PS/PSE and do a "guide" for that motion path, with the Pen Tool and Stroke that Path. Save_As a PSD and Import that guide. Now, you still have to set your Keyframes, as you cannot tell the program to "follow the Path," but you have the guide to go by. I did similar, when a client's log had to follow a sine wave on an O-scope, as though it was the trace beam.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Motion on a curved path
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's called Spatial Interpolation.

You can turn it on or off by right-clicking on the keyframe points in the Properties panel timeline and setting them to Spatial Interpolation/Linear (for straight lines) or Bezier (custom curves) or one of the variations.

• 3. Re: Motion on a curved path
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro, they are usually referred to as Velocity, and even have their own graph, since it offers Spatial and Temporal changes, depending on the exact Keyframed Effects. While I use Ease-out/Ease-in for most of my Keyframes, the Bezier Curves are the way to go here. One can get very smooth motion, by "pulling" on those Bezier handles.

With the mini-Timeline in PrE 8's Effects Control Panel, things have gotten easier. This, to me, was an improvement, and gets it closer to PrPRo's. Neat, and good job Adobe!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Motion on a curved path
                Andy Post Level 1

I am beginning to suspect you guys aren't new to this application.  You da men.

• 5. Re: Motion on a curved path
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

I have to admit that I AM new to PrE, but with the help of others here, learn more about it every day. Now, I've used PrPro for many years, and other NLE's for a decade before, so I have managed to make almost every mistake that one can. I try to learn from each, and to share my hard-gained knowledge with others.

Unfortunately, some of the suggestions that I make here need to be checked out, first by me, and then by the user, as they might ONLY apply in PrPro - similar, but different program.

Also, my version of PrE is 4, so much has changed and improved with PrE 7 & 8.

Good luck, and glad that we helped.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Motion on a curved path

I've written three books on Premiere Elements, two on the Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements combo and one new book, to be released later this month, on how to create special effects, step-by-step with Premiere Elements. (All are available on Amazon and through Muvipix.com.)

Don't know if that qualifies me as an expert -- but it certainly shows I have lot to say!

• 7. Re: Motion on a curved path
                      Marshall_C

Are you Steve G of GSpot? If Yes Thank you for GSpot.

I am searching for someother topic and apologise for intrusion!

• 8. Re: Motion on a curved path

I wish I could take credit for G Spot. It's an amazing program!

But, no. I'm just Steve Grisetti.