5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 9:16 AM by Nikita Volkov

Render pause doesn't relieve the processor

Nikita Volkov

Ever since I started using AE (from version CS to CS4 now) I remember having that problem: the pause button in the render queue stops rendering but it DOES NOT relieve your processor in anyway nor does it free up any memory consumed. So I wonder what's the point in stopping your rendering without getting any gains in your system's performance? The button is absolutely useless in that state of work it has had for many years.

One expects it to free up processor and memory but i doesn't.

• 1. Re: Render pause doesn't relieve the processor
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just did a test, and clicking Pause made the background rendering processes (aeselflink) drop to about 10% of their CPU usage compared to when the render was active.

• 2. Re: Render pause doesn't relieve the processor
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

One expects it to free up processor and memory but i doesn't.

I don't follow. The button sends AE into idle mode, which should consume considerably less processor time and performance. It does not free up memory, naturally. It's inherent in how AE works and caches (pre-)rendered data to RAM. Flushing it would be kinda counter-productive and pointless. If you are experiencing no relief, then most likely your system is simply not sufficiently outfitted with RAM and your operating system has no way of allocating memory to whatever you do while AE is paused, causing it to shuffle data around unnecessarily. also note, that file formats that cannot be arbitrarily closed and re-opened such as many compressed formats are, will also require extra resources to keep the files open and data used in teh compression analysis in RAM.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Render pause doesn't relieve the processor
              Nikita Volkov Level 1

I'm running a 4 core Phenom II with 8 GB RAM - I don't think that my system is that weak. The OS is W7x64, btw.

Not freeing up RAM is not that much of my concern, the main problem is that AE does not free up the processor.

One thing I didn't mention is that I approve having that problem when rendering with multiprocessor off.

• 4. Re: Render pause doesn't relieve the processor
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm running a 4 core Phenom II with 8 GB RAM

As per the help's recommendation: 1x 4GB for AE main + 3x2GB per process = 10GB. Where does your operating system reside then? Your web browser? Any other programs? If you realyl render heavy projects you can easily reach these limits, so you still could have a problem there. The whole thing not working without MP and hugging so much processor power in idle mode however suggests something else. I would suspect that you have a leaky CoDec or are using an effect that is not MP save, but does not disable it (effects can do that behind your back). This would then lead into an infinite loop where specific routines are constantly loaded, terminated by the operating system (invisible crash), then again re-initialized. This consumes considerable resources up to a point where you have none left at all... I would investigate that. Also, some third-party plug-ins require additional DLLs, so maybe update your MSVC and .NET runtimes manually? This would be even more relevant for AMD processors, as they often require slightly different versions of some DLLs or patches...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Render pause doesn't relieve the processor
                  Nikita Volkov Level 1

Okay! Thanks. I'll try that.