7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 7:16 AM by Jofar1

How do I download files?

Jofar1 Level 1

I am looking at enabling my  visitors to download some media files instead of just playing them. Is  there an extension in Dreamweaver or a really good third party software  that will allow me to carry out this function?

If so, can someone please help.

Jalex1

• 1. Re: How do I download files?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you zip the files then link to the zip file? That will force a download.

• 2. Re: How do I download files?
            Mike_Watt Level 2

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but most websites just give the user instructions:

"To save the file, right-click and  'Save As', 'Save Target As', or 'Save Link As'"

• 3. Re: How do I download files?
              Jofar1 Level 1

They are actually audios and videos. Right clicking won't give me an option to download.

I also tried zipping the files individually but that didn't help either. Instead, it opens a path to the folder where I have the file stored with an option to extract the compressed file. Maybe because I am still working directly from my desktop. I'll try to upload and see what happens.

Hey Mike_Watt, this is what the forum is all about. Trying to assist the best way we can; meaning, I really do appreciate every and any contribution.

• 4. Re: How do I download files?
                Jofar1 Level 1

Let me make few corrections. As for Make_Watt's suggestion, I wasn't getting the option to download the file when I right-clicked because I was using a "Flash Button" instead of an actual link or an image. However, after I changed the button's format, I am now able to right-click and have the option to "Save Target As...". Thanks again.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to download the audio using the compressed format. Whenever I click on the link/button, I am taken to the folder hosting the file and I am given the option to extract the file(s). I guess I may be doing something wrong.

Jalex1

• 5. Re: How do I download files?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you provide a link to your website so we can see what's happening?

• 6. Re: How do I download files?
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant

>Whenever I click on the link/button, I am taken to

>the folder hosting the file and I am given the option

>to extract the file(s). I guess I may be doing something wrong.

If you are previewing this locally without a web server, then that is expected behavior.

• 7. Re: How do I download files?
                      Jofar1 Level 1

Thanks guys. It works.

I had the problem because I was previewing locally without a web server.

For media, Wimpy also have download functionality.