11 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 9:20 AM by Frustrated in AZ

Too Many Activations

CS_Hander Level 1

Yet another post regarding too many activations. I opened a Customer Support case #181479111 (I haven't been able to find where to open a technical support case). Adobe's response was somewhat unhelpful. The case was closed with a note advising me that I couldn't receive support for Digital Editions because I hadn't registered the product, advising me to register the product (which requires a serial number, which I have not found any workaround listed) and to use the self help resources. Why is this such an issue? Like others, have an textbook in ebook format, a test next week and time ticking away that I need to use studying. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Too Many Activations
          Jim Lester Level 4

You can open a techinical support case by going to http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions and clicking on "Submit a web case"

• 2. Re: Too Many Activations
            CS_Hander Level 1

That seems to take me to the same place I opened my first case (and my second case). I guess I did open a tech support case and not a customer support case?

• 3. Re: Too Many Activations
              SonyReaderMaven

CS_Hander wrote:

Yet another post regarding too many activations. I opened a Customer Support case #181479111 (I haven't been able to find where to open a technical support case). Adobe's response was somewhat unhelpful. The case was closed with a note advising me that I couldn't receive support for Digital Editions because I hadn't registered the product, advising me to register the product (which requires a serial number, which I have not found any workaround listed) and to use the self help resources. Why is this such an issue? Like others, have an textbook in ebook format, a test next week and time ticking away that I need to use studying. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Adobe Customer Support's response to this has been spectacularly unhelpful.  The problem is likely related to something not being correctly written to the registry or elsewhere.  However, since Digital Editions apparently doesn't maintain a log file or check along the way to see if things are being correctly written to the registry or other locations, there is no way to troubleshoot what is happening.  Obviously Adobe knows where the registry permissions, group/user policies or file/folder attributes problem is located but, I suppose, doesn't want to do anything that would expose any of the workings of its ADEPT DRM scheme.

To fix your problem, what first needs to happen is for Adobe to reset your activations count.  The count, which you have exceeded, is a maximum of 6.

Once that is done, DE should work until the count is again exceeded.

Once the activations count is reset, in Windows XP what works is to create another user account with Administrator privileges.  When you do that the new account has all permissions, attributes and etc. set to whatever it is that Digital Editions "expects" and you should be good to go.

How to fix your usual user account in which Digital Editions is broken I have no idea.

• 4. Re: Too Many Activations
                Jim Lester Level 4

I've complained to management... send me a pm with your AdobeID (or better yet the exact text of the error message, and I'll reset your count for you).

• 5. Re: Too Many Activations
                  wdeano Level 1

adobe id deanhuberjr@yahoo.com. Could you be so kind to reset my activation count back to zero or one what ever to get away from the error

Message pasted below:

messagefile:///Users/wdeanhuber/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202010-11-14%20at%202.14.06%20PM.png

thanks

Dean

deanhuberjr@yahoo.com

• 6. Re: Too Many Activations
                    sgamache01 Level 1

I too am getting this error message now.  I had a pandigital ereader at first and downloaded a book through b&n which is epub format.  Now I have a Kobo ereader and it keeps asking to authorize the device.  I was doing this and it still was not working and now this morning it tells me:

E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept/Activate 2177:177:6177 urn:uuid:a3296cde-99b6-4671-bf69-7b77a5b66ad0

Then it asks if I want to try again and when I do I enter my adobe ID samanthagamache@comcast.net and then my password and it gives me the error:

E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY

Any way around this?

• 7. Re: Too Many Activations
                      nina6765 Level 1

I am getting these same error messages and am unable to register by B&N Nook.  Does anyone know how to resolve these problems?

• 8. Re: Too Many Activations
                        sgamache01 Level 1

I had to call adobe and put in a request and then they finally reset my activations then it worked without a problem.

• 9. Re: Too Many Activations
                          nina6765 Level 1

I ended up doing a live chat with someone from Adobe and they reset my activations.  Now I'm getting an error message when I try to download the book to ADE that says "Error on network request"  I tell you, this is really starting to become more trouble that it's worth.  I have a feeling I will be reading books the old fashioned way because this is defintely not working for me.

-

sgamache01 <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

I had to call adobe and put in a request and then they finally reset my activations then it worked without a problem.

• 10. Re: Too Many Activations
                            JBPK Level 1

I was able to get a support agent via chat and got the problem fixed. Googled "Adobe Digital Editions Support" and got connected within a minute. Used the "other" category at the end of the inquiry sheet.

Message was edited by: JBPK

• 11. Re: Too Many Activations
                              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Look it up on the Adobe website....

============