4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2007 8:22 AM by jl2000

Link from htmlText to the web

jl2000 Level 1
      Hi -

I have a SWF that uses LoadVars to bring in htmlText for extensive menus. The menus can be modified outside of Flash so my customer is happy. Some of the links open SWFs or PDFs within the project. However some of the links on these plain text files have to open "live" web pages and when the project is burned to a CD they don't work. On the Mac side I get warnings and a trip to the Adobe Settings page. On the Windows site I get nothing..not even a blank window.

The CD has an Autorun so the project opens in a browser...so far so good. Everything works fine except those links to websites from the htmlText menus.

Actionscript (and scripting in general) hasn't really sunk in for me. I really need help with this especially considering I've seen solutions that work with buttons and on(release) functions but I can't seem to make it work on my own. Can something like this (getURL, FSCommand , ExternalInterface or something) be modified to work with a text link from a CD???

TIA some help.

Using AS2/Flash8.
        • 1. Re: Link from htmlText to the web
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you're triggering a sandbox security violation when you have a local file (on the cd) access an internet website. the only reason you're not seeing it on windows is because you probably already by-passed changing your security settings to allow that local swf (in the trusted zone) access the internet.
          • 2. Re: Link from htmlText to the web
            jl2000 Level 1
            kglad- Thanks for the response.

Yes - I understand that. I'll have to visit the Adobe Settings page a few times to Allow and Disallow and check the results. However I need to spare my users that routine if possible.

So - is there no code to kinda do what getURL does except on a text link instead of a button or mc?
            jl
            • 3. Re: Link from htmlText to the web
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              if you're happy with getURL, you can use the asfunction to call a getURL function from your text link.
              • 4. Re: Link from htmlText to the web
                jl2000 Level 1
                kglad - Thanks. That's the lead I needed.

So I did some trials using asfunction and getURL (see the attached code). Fundamentally I don't know if I have the function written correctly. I put a regular old -a href- html style anchor link on the same file. That link results in getting the alert about Security Settings on Mac and nothing on Win. None of the function links I wrote do anything, anywhere...so that indicates that my function isnt right.

The solution I'm looking for will not trigger the security warning (the way an EXE works). But is this too much to ask or is it possible if the attached code was correct?

Thanks for your help,
                JL