7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 10:33 AM by savladai

Showing in and out links to a file

Lucien Schilling Level 1

As I just changed from GoLive to Dreamweaver, I'm missing some features, some I know that aren't there (like "smart objects", that was the coolest feature in GoLive, and I used it rather heavily). But I'm really missing the "IN/OUT-links" window.
      Is there anything similar in Dreamweaver?

Lucien.
        • 1. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
          Level 7
          No. There is Find and replace which will let you find all links that
          contain a given page name, so that would be IN links. But there is not an
          OUT link feature.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Lucien Schillung" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fdtmqn$mj2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >
          >
          > As I just changed from GoLive to Dreamweaver, I'm missing some features,
          > some
          > I know that aren't there (like "smart objects", that was the coolest
          > feature in
          > GoLive, and I used it rather heavily). But I'm really missing the
          > "IN/OUT-links" window.
          > Is there anything similar in Dreamweaver?
          >
          > Lucien.
          >

• 2. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
            Lucien Schilling Level 1

That was a nice feature allowing you to reattach a link (outgoing or incoming) to a new situation (hundreds of links pointing to a changed easily pointing to b) without touching all the files. I will look into the find/replace feature...

Lucien.
            • 3. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
              heidi2008 Level 1
              Lucien -- I also used the &quot;In and Out Links&quot; palette quite frequently to found out such things as which pages of my site used certain image files. Have you discovered anything further about this? -Heidi
              • 5. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
                savladai Level 1

I've been looking through all the documentation I can find on Dreamweaver CS5 but don't see any reference to In/Out links as are in GoLive. I'm hoping it's because I'm just not using the correct search term. Is there any hope that Adobe added this feature to DW CS5 or are we still out of luck in this regard?

Also, are there any improvements to the Site interface in DW. GL has SO spoiled me with it's great site manipulation abilities that I'm finding DW CS4 really frustrating in comparison. I'm thinking of upgrading but thought I'd see if I'd be getting any of the missing features if I do. :>)

• 6. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
                  MurraySummers Level 8

DW does not have this feature.

Also, are there any improvements to the Site interface in DW. GL has SO spoiled me with it's great site manipulation abilities that I'm finding DW CS4 really frustrating in comparison. I'm thinking of upgrading but thought I'd see if I'd be getting any of the missing features if I do. :>)

DW has changed the site interface a bit, but not in the direction that GL used.

• 7. Re: Showing in and out links to a file
                    savladai Level 1

Thanks Murray. Sorry to take so long to acknowledge - I had to go out of town on the weekend and am still catching up.

Can you please elaborate on the direction that DW has taken, if you have a moment? I really do need to force myself to use DW but it's just SO much easier to stick with the one I can use in my sleep, so to speak. At some point, though, I'm sure the Mac OS is going to refuse to boot up my poor old GL CS, so I really should be up to speed in DW when it does.