23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 2:32 PM by ECBowen

Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?

magmazing

Need opinions between two laptops I'm eyeing as portable options for editing footage from my Canon HF S100.

Really just want a portable 14" laptop that I can do relatively basic editing AVCHD footage on Premiere Pro relatively smoothly when I'm travelling and some encoding with adobe media encoder.  I don't care about battery life. I just want Premiere to play/edit AVCHD footage without the choppy video stuttering. I'm also hoping for some faster encoding times than my 4 year old current laptop. Both laptops are about the same price. The only major differences is a dual core i7 vs a quad core i7... 4gb of ram vs 6gb... 256mb video card vs. 512mb video card... and solid state hard drive vs. 7200rpm hard drive. Opinions?

ThinkPad T410
      Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66GHz 3MBL3 1066MHz)            
      Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64            
      Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 - English        
      14.1" WXGA+ LED        
      NVIDIA NVS 3100m Graphics 256MB DDR3        
      4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM)    
      128GB Solid State Drive        
      DVD Recordable, Ultrabay Slim    
      9cell, LI Battery TWSL
      Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300  

Dell Studio 14
      Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
      Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
      14.0” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera   
      6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz   
      500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)   
      512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530   
      8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)   
      84 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery   
      Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
      Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled

• 1. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Like most laptops, neither meets minimum requirements, which is a DEDICATED 7200 RPM disk.

• 2. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
            Studio North Films Level 3

hi, the dell seems to be the better option.

baz

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Only the screen resolution is below minimum requirements as well. One needs 1280 x 900 minimum, not 720.

I consider both a waste of money. Can you imagine doing your editing on a single 14" screen, when you could edit on dual 23"+ monitors and still be required to carry external eSATA disks plus power adaptor for these disks, losing every notion of portability and independence of power outlets?

• 4. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                magmazing Level 1

I know that there's going to be limitations with editing on a laptop. Especially when I want one 14" or smaller.  I'm mainly concerned about having the system adaquatel enough that I'm not hitting stop every 5 seconds in order for the footage to play smoothly and just good enough so Premiere doesn't crash ever 5 minutes. I'm not making an epic film here. Just cutting some concert footage with a couple title graphics while on the road.

• 5. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If you insist on a notebook, get something relatively decent like this:

Sager notebook.jpg

Remember, you get what you pay for, but even at $ 4,900 it will still be at least three times slower than a less costly desktop/workstation.

• 6. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

a 17" laptop with a "DESKTOP" i7 and 3 internal drives will perform EXACTLY the same as a desktop with an i7 with 3 internal drives

(note i didnt mention raid 0 arrays)

if you dont need firewire for ingest (who does these days)

then you can use the Express slot and buy a Sonnet Array that connects vis the Express slot.

making it every bit as fast as a desktop

the only downside (and more to do with AE is the ram speeds are slightly slower)

FYI this is the ONLY laptop i think is good enough for video. the newer i7 mobiles are rather slow

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Scott,

Read before you reply, otherwise you are talking nonsense. If you read the specs, you will see the i7 is NOT the desktop i7, but the much slower i7-820QM.

I agree that if a notebook contains the exact same components as a desktop, performance will be the same. Duuhh.

Had you read the specs you would not have made this glaring mistake. Same about screensize. Read before you comment.

• 8. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

oops my bad, with all your infiinte wisdom i never expected you to link to such an inferior laptop.

i thought it was the desktop i7

in which case you would be correct as i stated the new i7 mobiles suck. the 620m (Dual actually does better than the Quads)

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sager just did not let me choose that option. I wanted to show that Sager is one of the very few suppliers of notebooks that can be valuable for video editing if portability is an overriding concern, but at a hefty pricetag.

• 10. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                            Jeff Bellune Level 5

And even the "portability" is questionable.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                              Scott Chichelli Level 3

wouldnt want to be running thru the Atlanta airport with it, thats for sure

12lbs strapped around your neck aint easy!

i vowed to never take another laptop with me to a show again, and the one i use is 14"

• 12. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                magmazing Level 1

I don't think you understand. The bottom line is I'm buying at 14" or smaller notebook. I don't care about anything above 14".  The two notebooks I listed originally are the most powerful notebooks I could find at that screen size. I simply wanted to know which of the two might perform better with Premiere and if either could maybe handle AVCHD footage adaquately enough that I wouldn't be ripping my hair out trying to have the footage play smoothly for more than 5 seconds. Up until now I've been editing standard DV footage on a 3-year old 15" Toshiba notebook with zero problems. Now that I've upgraded to a camcorder using AVCHD, it's apparent that I need something that can handle that codec better.

I really don't need a rant at how people shouldn't be editing video on a laptop. I work in TV. I know that... but I'm going to California to a music festival. I'm shooting some concert viz. I want to make some quick edits and add a couple photoshop graphics, then encod 1080p files for youtube while I'm down there.  I know my options are not ideal. I just want to know if Premiere will function without a lot of problems and which of the two would theoretically perform better.

That's all. Debating why it's crazy to buy a small notebook for editing when desktop setup with special hard drive configurations and multiple monitors is better and saying that both my options are a waste of money and then suggesting a $5000 18" notebook that no sane person would take on a plane does not help me or answer my question.

• 13. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It seems you have made up your mind anyway, despite the clear admonitions that both do NOT meet minimum requirements for DV, let alone AVCHD, which requires a far more powerful CPU,so, go ahead and make your decision, but don't come back here and complain that it did not work, because you were told in advance. Now, everybody has his own right to his own errors. Good luck and enjoy your stay.

• 14. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                    magmazing Level 1

I've been editing standard DV footage for three years on a 15" 1.83GHz Core2Duo notebook with 2GB of ram and a 5400rpm hard drive without a single problem and you're telling me neither of the new options I've presented are good enough for standard DV. wow.

And no I have not made up my mind. That's why I came here. I'm debating between two options. It was spelled out in the title of the thread. I just wanted to know which of the two might perform better. I currently go through the punishment of editing editing my AVCHD footage on my current notebook with the limitation that the audio will play fluently, but the video will start stuttering after approximately 5 seconds. Then I have to stop, wait and then play another 5 seconds. So my other question was essentially would either of my options presented offer ANY improvement on playback? I'm asking about vast improvement. Just enough that I can playback the footage for 20-30 second bursts

I don't need a large display. I'm not working with multiple pieces of footage on multiple layers. I'm not rendering complex animations. I'm just making simple cuts when I'm abroad. It was a simple A or B question with a qualifier asking if Premiere playback better than what I use now.  The two options are pretty much the only 14" or smaller notebooks I've found with an i7 and dedicated graphics card.

I've presented my situation

- Want something small for travel purposes

- Will be editing AVCHD video on it

- Will be using Premiere Pro

- What's the best option?

"Don't do it", "Use a desktop", and "Use this gigantic laptop" are not solutions to the problem. If the options I've presented are no good, is there something better at 14" or less? In the end where can I find the best 14" or smaller notebook out there to edit AVCHD on Premiere?  "None" is not an answer because if that's the case, I want help finding the best of the "worst".    It's kind of hard for me to complain about what I end up with when I already know I'm going to be limited, but I came here to figure out which of the given options that fit my personal requirements would give me the least problems.

All I wanted was an A or B answer with the exception of maybe a better C option that fit the size requirement and maybe what I might expect to run into when using Premiere on the new system, and all I got was people essentially telling me I should be dragging $5000 worth of heavy equipment on my vacation to make basic cuts.

• 15. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is your choice. You opted for AVCHD material and if the answer is, there does not exist any laptop in the below $ 1.5 K range that you can edit comfortably on and you don't like that answer, bad luck.

If you have an empty tank and you need gasoline, and you know you do, but they only have diesel, what is your best option?

1. Leave your car and lend a bicycle (use your old DV camera)

2. Fill up the tank with diesel and try to drive on (get the Dell or Lenovo)

3. Look for alternatives (Sager)

4. Keep to your old ways, walk like you have been doing from childhood (Old DV camera and old notebook)

• 16. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

i would buy a laptop with the 620M GHZ should be better than more cores plus the 620 has HT

buy neoscene from cineform to deal with the AVCHD problem solved.

Scott

• 17. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                          magmazing Level 1

Just thought I'd post an update to this question I asked last month.   I  ended up buying the Dell and it's working exactly as I was hoping it  would. I installed Premiere Pro on it and it's playing AVCHD files with  zero lag.  So Harm's insistance that editing AVCHD on a 14" laptop with the specs I purchased would be inadvisable and the specs didn't meet minimum requirements to run properly was wrong.  I can edit just fine on it.

• 18. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

I said edit comfortably. Obviously what you find comfortable and what I find comfortable are different things.

We'll talk again once you try to export your first one hour time line.

• 19. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                              Amr Toukhy Level 1

Do you think this would do for the 5D mark II

Including Smooth Scrubbing !!

http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcz117gg

• 20. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

This is where the editing and creative style of the editor comes into play regarding what works and what doesn't. Basic editing of AVCHD with cuts and transitions with very few keyframes or overlays will work on a I7 Mobile. The export time won't be very quick depending on the codec and preset selected but it will work. However if your normal editing workflow is rather intense with CC, Keyframes, and layers then that laptop will not give most editors the playback they want without rendering the timeline for preview. That is something that needs to be considered while selecting the laptop to purchase. Harm's comments were based on editors with intense workflows with AVCHD material. Since Harm or I can't often know what each individual workflow is of the person requesting advice then we have to base our judgement off the intense workflow since we know that will work for the editors with a far less intense production.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                                  Blaine Holm

If you are looking for a notebook that is optimzied for CS5, then take a look at this system:

http://www.videohardware.com/html/video_editing_laptop.html

It's available with Nvidia GTX285, GTX480, or Quadro 3800.

Get up to 12GB of triple channel memory, and 3 hard drives, inlcuding SSD drives.

• 22. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

a tad over priced!

google "adobe video editing laptop"

fist company listed not forum posts

Scott

ADK

• 23. Re: Which of these 2 Laptops would be best with Premiere Pro?
                                                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

change fist to first:)

Eric

ADK