4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 6:19 AM by Aron manager

Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)

Aron manager Level 1

Hi!,

Is this possible? I'm used to work directly agains remote servers, but it seems flash builder 4 data services doesn't like it in development phase.

I know I can deploy my services to a remote server for production, but want to do the same in development phase, work against remote data service. Could anyone suguest any tip?

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

• 1. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
          jdesko Level 2

Hello HexDump;

If I understand your question correctly - you are trying to connect to a remote server to use its data during development.  What type of data are you working with and how do you connect to it?

For example if you are using php/mySQL on your remote server and you are using data services and a callresponder, you can put in the endpoint in your service (see below example). *This might change in newer revisions.

<fx:Declarations>

<users:Users id="users" destination="users" endpoint="http://www.yourdomain.com/gateway.php"

fault="Alert.show(event.fault.faultString)" showBusyCursor="true" source="users"/>

<s:CallResponder id="loginUserResult"/>

</fx:Declarations>

John

• 2. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
            Aron manager Level 1

Hi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

What I wanted to mean is that I have saw a lot of tuts about using data services having mysql and php services in localhost.

This is not what I want, I want during development work on remote host too. I like to create my data services directly on remote server, etc... Because I don't wnat to come across surprises when deploying local code/services on remote server.

Reading some tuts, I have seen people saying that if you copy local services, etc... keeping the same folder structure on remote server everything will work ok, but I prefer to work directly against remote server. Create Data services on remote server and allways quering the service in the remote server. Don't wnat to use localhost for anything.

I hope now I have been more clearer.

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

• 3. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
              jdesko Level 2

Hello HexDump;

I now understand what your trying to accomplish.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but this is what I do in that situation (I found this to be the easiest solution).

In development when I want to use my php/sql on the production(remote) server, I start off with a copy of my prod. servers php  (I do not use FB's generated sample php code) and sql (at least the sql's database structure and a little data) local so that when I create a new php connection FB sets up everything for me.  Then when I want to use my production servers php/sql in development I set my services endpoint to that server in my app/module/component. 

John

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
                Aron manager Level 1

Hi!,

Thanks for the tip.

Hexdump.