4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 6:19 AM by Aron manager

Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)

Aron manager

Hi!,

Is this possible? I'm used to work directly agains remote servers, but it seems flash builder 4 data services doesn't like it in development phase.

I know I can deploy my services to a remote server for production, but want to do the same in development phase, work against remote data service. Could anyone suguest any tip?

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

• 1. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
          jdesko Level 2

Hello HexDump;

If I understand your question correctly - you are trying to connect to a remote server to use its data during development.  What type of data are you working with and how do you connect to it?

For example if you are using php/mySQL on your remote server and you are using data services and a callresponder, you can put in the endpoint in your service (see below example). *This might change in newer revisions.

<fx:Declarations>

<users:Users id="users" destination="users" endpoint="http://www.yourdomain.com/gateway.php"

fault="Alert.show(event.fault.faultString)" showBusyCursor="true" source="users"/>

<s:CallResponder id="loginUserResult"/>

</fx:Declarations>

John

• 2. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
            Aron manager Level 1

Hi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

What I wanted to mean is that I have saw a lot of tuts about using data services having mysql and php services in localhost.

This is not what I want, I want during development work on remote host too. I like to create my data services directly on remote server, etc... Because I don't wnat to come across surprises when deploying local code/services on remote server.

Reading some tuts, I have seen people saying that if you copy local services, etc... keeping the same folder structure on remote server everything will work ok, but I prefer to work directly against remote server. Create Data services on remote server and allways quering the service in the remote server. Don't wnat to use localhost for anything.

I hope now I have been more clearer.

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

• 3. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
              jdesko Level 2

Hello HexDump;

I now understand what your trying to accomplish.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but this is what I do in that situation (I found this to be the easiest solution).

In development when I want to use my php/sql on the production(remote) server, I start off with a copy of my prod. servers php  (I do not use FB's generated sample php code) and sql (at least the sql's database structure and a little data) local so that when I create a new php connection FB sets up everything for me.  Then when I want to use my production servers php/sql in development I set my services endpoint to that server in my app/module/component. 

John

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Working with data services on remote server (not just deploying)
                Aron manager Level 1

Hi!,

Thanks for the tip.

Hexdump.