6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 2:46 PM by demmith

No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]

demmith

My HD camcorder does not show up when I try to connect to "Media". Yes, I am connected via USB but I continually get "No Device Found."

• 1. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that Windows does not recognize your camcorder either?

Can you browze to it from Windows?

• 2. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]
            demmith Level 1

No, I cannot browse to it from Windows either. I have Windows 7 Pro. The camera came with software from Pixela Corp -- named, ImageMixer3SE ver. 5 -- its basically crap - it does not see the camcorder either (I think its incompatible with Win7). Thought I'd try connecting with Pre -- no surprise to me that it doesn't work either as I have always experienced problems with connecting to media before I bought this camcorder.

• 3. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]

If Windows doesn't even see your connection, your problem isn't with Premiere Elements, demmith.

It's most likely a hardware problem. Double-check your camcorder and ensure that you've got it turned on and in VTR mode and maybe even swap out your USB cable. Or try the camcorder on another computer and see if it can see the cam.

We're not going to be able to help you until you figure out what's going on at your end -- and that's going to involve some troubleshooting on your part.

• 4. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]
                demmith Level 1

I have been doing plenty of troubleshooting Steve. The USB cable is fine - works with other devices - Windows sees a "mass storage device". I agree that my problem probably isn't with Premiere Elements, this time. But I'll keep hacking away at it. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.  - Dave

• 5. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]

You say Windows DOES see your camcorder (as a "mass storage device")?

Can you browze into that device and see the individual video files?

• 6. Re: No Device Found [Canon Vixia HF20]
                    demmith Level 1

I used "Device Manager" to look at the specific USB port and it showed "Mass Storage Device". I have yet to see it in Windows Explorer.

This is what I did...

I plugged a USB drive into the port to see which port in Device Manager I was working with. It showed up as a "Mass Storage Device" -- good. I removed the device, plugged in the camcorder to the same port and refreshed Device Manager. It could be that it did not refresh properly and still tagged the port with Mass Storage Device.

I would try it again to verify but I have put the camera away as I am getting ready to go on a trip. I was hoping to download everything off the camera before I left but I'll just have to tackle this problem once I return.

[Update ... April 26, 2010]

My Canon Vixia HF20 comes with a software bundle from Pixela Corp. Supposedly, this software allows me to download movies from the camcorder to my computer. Well, it doesn't work on Windows 7. I downloaded and installed the latest "updater" from Pixela, which is supposed to fix the problem of interfacing with Windows 7. That didn't work either. So now I have this absolutely useless camcorder. Thanks Canon! You can be sure I'll never touch another one of your camcorders again!