6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 2:00 PM by Harm Millaard

Over the Phone Tech Support

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

The owner of the company I work for called me late last night about an issue he is having with his new Sager laptop.  I doubt if it's a hardware issue, but this is what I know... Clevo motherboard i7 975 processor, 12GB RAM, SSD system drive and two other 500GB internal system drives.

Anyway he can't import VOB files and mp2's.  My first thought was his CS4 Production Premium Suite was in "trial mode".  I had him go to the "Help" menu in Premiere and "Deactivate" was greyed out.  I had him open other programs in the suite and "Deactivate was not greyed out.  I believe that I have read that Premiere CS4 will not support certain media in trial mode.  Is it possible that somehow Premiere did not get activated along with the other programs in the suite?  If so, is there a way to correct this without reinstalling?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Import of VOB files requires 4.2.1.

Deactivating from another CS4 program will work very quickly and should apply to all CS4 application. Reactivating should restore it for all programs, as long as PR was part of the same suite. To check whether the PR version may have reverted to trial status, is to create a new sequence. If the AVCHD, HDV and XDCAM presets are missing, your client has a corrupted installation and a complete uninstall and reinstall may be required.

• 2. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
            Alan Craven Level 4

"De-activate" is often greyed out on a fully functioning installation of Premiere CS4. This is especially common for the first 15 minutes or so after opening Premiere.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

It DOES sound like the" phantom trial mode issue." As the trial mode is not Activated, it would seem logical that it would be grayed out.

The operation is then to Uninstall PrPro, run Adobe Clean Script CS4 a couple of times, re-booting between, then Install PrPro, Activate, doing all updates and then launching the program. If there are issues with the Activation/Deactivation, that would be handled by Adobe C/S. They should be aware of this issue, and be more than ready to help.

Good luck, and hope that his Sager works out as well as my older one!

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
                Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I've always liked Sager notebooks.  The owner of the company I work for has had a number of notebooks from various manufacturers over the years.  His last notebook was from Xtreme Notebooks.  They went out of business.  The Xtreme notebook used the "Clevo" motherboard same as Sager.  The owner replaced it because it kept bluescreening.  Turned out to be a bad video card.  Sager repaired it for him. The reason he went from a Sager to an Xtreme, 3 notebooks back has to do with the Sager (California based) people not speaking and understanding English well.  Basically a communication problem.  While configuring his new Sager, I found a typo in their configurator. They referred to the i975 as the i795.  This kind of thing doesn't instill confidence in most people.  It's amazing how little things like that can cause a company to lose sales.  At one time for instance, the PC Power and Cooling Website was so bad, I went to one of their competitors for a power supply.

Anyway thanks for all of your help.  It turned out that the latest update wasn't installed for CS4.

• 5. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news on the update!

So far, I have had no issue with Sager, and would buy from them again, should I upgrade notebooks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Over the Phone Tech Support
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

This may be what you are looking for:

Sager notebook.jpg