22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 4:12 PM by kentRda

Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro

kentRda

Hello, I am new to Premiere Pro. Prior to this time, I have been down in the Premiere Elements class.  In Elements, Premiere does everything - from the initial media import to the burning/publishing of a disk.    As I look at Premier Pro though, it looks as though I must move back and forth between Encore and Premier - in order to get everything done. Is that true?   Looking at both Encore and Premiere, each of them look very similar.. Both have timelines. Both allow the importing of assets, etc.   Thus, I need a little bit of help understanding the differences between Encore and Premiere and knowing when I should use each program.   I would deeply appreciate it if someone could help me with that. Thank so much!

Kent

• 1. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
          WAHunt3 Level 1

PrE is both an NLE (Non Linear Editor) and a rudimentary authoring program, that does this process semi-automatically.

PrPro is JUST an NLE. Encore is JUST an authoring app., but is full-featured, and very powerful. With that power and control, comes much more hand-work. An authoring program gets one's AV files into a form that will work in a DVD-Video, or BD (or Flash). PrPro edits those AV files, before one gets them into Encore.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
            kentRda Level 1

Wow Bill. You reside on both the Pro and Elements forums.  I'm impressed!  How do you get time for anything else!?

So, if I understand correctly, in Pro, I initially bring my assets into Premiere, and edit and organize in Premiere. However, once that is done, I transfer the assets/project to Encore so that I can publish it do disk, or wherever I want.   Am I thinking correctly.

Thanks,

Kent

• 4. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

First, sorry that I did not realize that the Adobe forum had logged me out, and my alter-ego, WAHunt3 in. Wish that would not happen. Just did not catch it this time.

Now, you are mostly correct. First you will do all of your editing in PrPro, just as you did in PrE. Now, things can change. Depending on how you wish to deliver your resultant edited footage. You can Export (Export, or Share, depending on version of PrE), to all sorts of formats/CODEC's. This is exactly like PrE, but with many more options, and a slightly different way of doing it. In PrPro, you will now use AME (Adobe Media Encoder), which is a stand-alone, but can be launched from within PrPRo, or launched form the Desktop.

Where things change is if you wish to do a DVD, BD or Flash DVD presentation. Here, you cannot do any of this in PrPro, and will use Encore. You can get your finished footage into Encore via Adobe Dynamic Link, or the "old-fashioned way," Export from PrPro and then Import into Encore for the authoring. The result of your Encore Project will be your DVD-Video, or BD. Let's just leave Encore's Flash output out of the mix for now, as it is a bit different. This is where you use Encore.

Now, the authoring function in PrE is nice for simple Projects, and works well for most of the users. However, it is very limited. Encore throws off those limitations, and rewards the user with its power. There is not that much that Encore cannot do, and to get those few limits lifted, one needs to spend vast amounts of money for Sonic Scenarist. Actually, one can seem to bend the DVD-specs. with Encore. They cannot really deviate from those, but with some work and imagination, one can create the illusion that they have broken the rules - the user will think that they see things that are impossible, per the DVD-specs. Encore is great, and I would not give up my copy for a bunch of $.

Hope that this helps, and sorry for the screen name - Adobe got me again!

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                kentRda Level 1

Bill, Thanks so much.   That gives me a much better understanding. PE has been pretty good at serving most of my needs up until now.  I shoot Hi Def Underwater Video.   It is completely different than 'land' video and has many challenges that 'land video' does not have. Amongst the greatest challenges is that colors change as one gets deeper and deeper in the water.  At just 15', nearly all the reds are gone, and red things are starting to appear brown or dark purple.   We either use colored filters on our cameras, or, we turn our lights on - even though the sun is out, without clouds, and the water is crystal clear.   As you get deeper in the water, the only colors which penetrate the water are blues and greens.   Because of the changes in colors which change with depth, good color correction (in editing software) is imperative.  Obviously, PPro gives one many more options and flexability in that area.!  I just need to learn PPro now.   Do you recommend the lynda.com videos?

Thanks again,

Kent

• 6. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

I think that you are going to find PrPRo's Color Correction Effects to be 1000% better than those in PrE. Once you get the hang of Encore (there is a very good and active Encore Forum, with some of the same folk as here), you will never be satisfied with the limited authoring capabilities of PrE. For me, though there is more hand-work and planning involved, I find authoring, with that extra control, to be much easier. Just Menu creation is a piece-o-cake. If you do not yet have Photoshop, you WILL want to add it to the mix. The combo of PS, PrPro and En are unbeatable.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                    kentRda Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for all your input. Sounds like I just need to get on the learning curve - with both PPro and Encore!  I'll certainly enjoy the better color correction in PPro.

My wife is actually a Photoshop Pro.   She shoots stills underwater and is very good at it. See www.coloradodawn.com . We make videos of all our trips, which include my video as well as many of her photos.   Thus, being able to integrate PS, PPro, and Encore will be great.   One thing that really threw PE for a loop was when I imported her very high resolution photos into it. Of course, with PE, we had to manually resize the photos to make them work in PE. But, I see that PPro will resize and fit them automatically! That's nice.   I'm sure, that after using PE, I will notice many things that will be dramatically improved.

I'm hesitant to ask, but............... do as many users complain of crashes with PPro as much as it seems to occur in PE?

Kent

• 8. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

Are you in Colorado? A great friend of mine and client for longer than her age would bely, is Tanya Haynes, at H2O Scapes. She's a multi-media artist, and underwater photographer. For years, she was an active art director in the Denver market, and has been doing much more painting and shooting, than design work. Wonder if you know her. She's located in Aurora, CO. If you DO know Tanya, please tell her, and Mark hello from AZ. I know that they are soon moving to the Caribbean soon, and it's been several months since we last saw them. Gotta' get down to the Caribbean and play some golf with her hubby, when they finish the move - rum on the beach would not be out of order either.

Just curious.

Hunt

PS - wow, what a coincidence. Tanya had a lovely yellow Lab girl, Cody. My Bulldog loved it, when Tanya and Cody would drop by. Now, the Bulldog did not take to either the Alaskan Husky, or the Siberian Husky in her family, but Cody was her "bud."

• 9. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                        kentRda Level 1

Bill, yes, I/we are in Denver. I've heard of Tanya, but do not know her.  Just looked at her website and I'm very impressed.  My wife, who is deeply into underwater still photography also does some painting. However, she does dot art, which was developed by the aborigines in Australia.  She was actually taught the art by an Aussie!   I'm sure my wife, Larissa, would love to meet Tanya.   Do you know where they are going to move to in the Caribbean? Our favorite place in the Caribbean is the Cayman Islands.  We were just there in January.

My wife and I are both members of an organization called CUPS : Colorado Underwater Photographers Society.   It's a small group of 20 or 30 people, but all very talented people.   The vast majority of the members shoot stills, so the videographers (like me) are in the minority.   I've .seen some of the video that some of the other videographers take and I usually don't care for it.  Clips too long. Too much panning and zooming, and now, my biggest irritation of all:  Taking HD video, then burning it to a standard DVD and showing it on an HDTV.People don't realize that if they're going to burn it to a standard DVD, then might as well just take DV in the first place. 

You can see some of my wife's pictures at   www.coloradodawn.com    I only publish my video to Blu-ray as Blu-ray is the only thing that does it justice. I'm looking forward to moving into PPro.  I'll probably wait a month or so though until CS5 is released.

Kent

• 10. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                          kentRda Level 1

Bill, Ironically, we also have a dog named Cody. Our dog is also a retreiver, but is a Golden, instead of a Lab.  How bout that!

• 11. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

She and Mark are moving to Curacao Island. Not sure what their exact time frame is, but things kinda' sped up for them. Mark is selling Pro-Signs (Aurora), and their home in Aurora, and things were going more quickly, than they expected. Obviously, the economy in Denver-Metro is moving along better than here in Phoenix.

Tanya has also gotten some large commissions to provide artwork for several Caribbean resorts, so has been busy finishing that project, prior to the move. I got a recent promo for an exhibition that she had, but do not recall the details now.

You might want to drop her an e-mail, and say Hi. She and her hubby are lovely people. You guys have a lot in common. Tell Mark to keep his golf clubs on top of the moving boxes, as Hunt will be visiting them soon!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                              kentRda Level 1

Too funny. We too will be in the islands of Curacao and Bonaire later this year.   I will grab her email address off the web site your provided and will drop her an email.   Thanks so much. Kent

BTW... Do you expect PPro to be out in April or so?  That seems to be the feeling amongst some people.

• 13. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                Taverino Level 2
                                Do you recommend the lynda.com videos?

Kent,

I think you'll find the Premiere Pro CS4 Beyond the Basics video at Lynda.com to be very useful, especially Chapter 7 on color correction. I never fully understood primary and secondary color correction with the Three-Way Color Corrector effect until I saw this video. Might be just what you need to fix your underwater shots. 

• 14. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

I do not have any clue, as to the timeline for the release of CS5. There have been enhancement "leaks," but that is all that I have seen. Often, the releases are timed to coincide with a major show, but I've heard no hints yet. Maybe others are much more in the know, than I am. The adage around this forum is, "if someone is saying, they don't know, and anyone, who does know, isn't saying... "

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                    kentRda Level 1

Thanks so much. I'll definately look at it.

Kent

• 16. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                      kentRda Level 1

Hmmm. There are a number of speculators that are looking at April.  I hate to spend the $$$ on CS4 if there's a chance that CS5 will be out shortly.

• 17. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, Adobe has offered a free upgrade to most of their programs, should a user purchase the older version within a time frame. This has been around 30-days, but only Adobe can address that possibility. And then, Adobe might decide to not make this offer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                          kentRda Level 1

I've heard that previously.

I'd like to get PPro and get started learning it. But, I'd feel pretty yukky if I purchased it 45 or 60 days before the release of CS5, and then missed out on the free upgrade.   Big Decisions!

Thanks,

Kent

• 19. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kent,

One option would be to download and install the trial version of CS4. NOTE: the trial does zero regarding MPEG - no Encore, no Import, no Export - nothing. Also, if you purchase CS4, or CS5, you WILL need to uninstall the trial, then run Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, re-booting between each run. THEN, install the full-paid version, register it, Activate it, install any updates and away you go.

Just some tips, that others often miss.

Good luck, and wish that I knew something to help you. My guess is that it's coming, and that Adobe will offer some upgrade coverage for purchasers within a certain timeframe - just don't know the when, or what that timeframe might be.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                              kentRda Level 1

Ah. Great idea on the trial edition.   It would certainly give me enough that I could start the learning process.  Thanks for the great suggestion.  BTW, I sent an email to Tanya, but haven't heard back from her yet.

Thanks again!

Kent

• 21. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just do not forget the "No MPEG" part. That has been a "deal-breaker" for some.

Good luck, and tell Tanya Hi for us,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Difference between Encore and Premiere Pro
                                                  kentRda Level 1

The 'no-mpeg' part shouldn't be a problem for me.   In my email to Tanya, I told her to reserve a tee for you on the golf course!