21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 9:43 PM by Chrisholly

High Quality?

gohawks880 Level 1

So I am using a Canon Vixia Hf10 which is a SUPER high def camera. I can make my vids fine and everything, but its just not very good quality. what can i do to make my video quality that at which the camera is capable?

If you want to see what the camera is itself along with all its features and specifics, heres the link>>>

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=1618 6

Just in case this helps.

• 1. Re: High Quality?
          Paul787 Level 3

Are you burning Blu-Ray DVD's?

• 2. Re: High Quality?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Paul asks, what is your output format/CODEC and your delivery scheme? Also, what is your Project Preset? Does it match your Canon's footage 100%? It should.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: High Quality?
              gohawks880 Level 1

hey bill, how do i check the things that u just posted here? how can i see if it all matches?

• 4. Re: High Quality?
                Paul787 Level 3

To check your project's settings, when Premiere Elements is open, go to Edit->Project Settings->General. This will tell you if your project is set up for standard definition (DV) or high definition (HDV). If it is set up for standard definition, you will need to set up a new Project first with the settings appropriate for your camcorder.

If you do need to set up a new Project, when you start up Premiere Elements, select New Project, and then in the New Project dialog box, click Change Settings. For your camcorder, the settings should be: NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30. It is important NOT to choose the Full HD1080i30 5.1 channel as the Canon HF10 uses 2 channel audio.

Hope this might help.

• 5. Re: High Quality?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Good tips on the camcorder. I was not familiar with it, but apparently you are. That will be helpful to the OP.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: High Quality?
                    gohawks880 Level 1

Thanks so much it worked!

• 7. Re: High Quality?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Glad that Paul nailed it.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: High Quality?
                        kentRda Level 1

Hawk,

One of the most common mistakes that people make these days is that they output their final project to a medium/media that is of lower quality than the original media.   Simply put, if you start out by recording the video on a Hi Def camera, then you edit and burn the video to a Standard DVD, you WILL be disappointed.  If you start with a Hi Def camera, then you need to go Hi Def ALL THE WAY.... Hi Def Camera, HD editing software, Burn to HD Blu-ray, playback on  Blu-ray player, and view it on an HDTV.   If any of the links in that chain are missing, then you'll be disappointed.   Many (most) people still do not have a blu-ray burner (drive) or a blu-ray player, so they just burn their HD project to a standard DVD.   If that is the case with you, then you would be much better off by setting your camera and recording in the DV mode (rather than HD) when you initially record the video.   You will then be MUCH happier with the finished project.  In fact, it will look better that it would if you try to put an HD project/video on a standard DVD.

Kent

Bottom Line:  Going HD is a big investment and commitment. Everything, from beginning to end, must be HD.  Simply buying an HD camera is the cheapest and easiest part. Once you go with HD, be prepared to turn your blank DVD's into coasters, as they will only do injustice to HD video.

• 9. Re: High Quality?
                          NotTooFast

Kent,

I have been trying to figure out what output format I should choose if I don't wan't to burn a Blu-Ray DVD.  I have a HD video streamer that will stream most types of HD.  I can't figure out what HD format I should render my output in Premiere Elements?

What would be your suggestion for displaying on a 1080p TV?  I have tried MPEG2, but the quality isn't as good as the original.

Thanks,

Keith

• 10. Re: High Quality?
                            kentRda Level 1

Keith,

You should not render your video in any HD format if you are not going to burn it to a Blu-ray.   It you are going to burn it to a standard DVD, then render your video in the highest resolution DV format possible.   Then, your final product will look as good as possible.

If you are not, or do not intend to put your final product/project on a Blu-ray, everything would be easier, and faster for you if you simply recorded your video (assuming the video is coming from a camera) in DV format (rather than HDV) when you initially record it.   When you mentioned 'streaming video', I wonder if you are speaking of 'streaming video' from the internet???   If so, most/much of that video is in .avi format, which is a DV format.  Oftentimes, when you stream video off the internet, you have a choice of selecting 'standard video' or HD Video.  If that is the case, then you should select 'standard video.'         Again, I'm really not sure if you're getting video from a camera, or from the internet. Either way,  I hope that this reply answers your question.

G'day Sir!

Kent

• 11. Re: High Quality?
                              kentRda Level 1

Keith,

In addition to my previous reply, let me add the following:

As long as you're burning to, and viewing a Standard DVD, it is impossible that you will be able to put video with a resolution of 1080i/p on such a disk. A standard DVD does not have the space for all the data needed to deliver a High Definition picture.

However, you can still obtain a very nice picture, and deliver the picture in a 16:9 (Widescreen) format by rendering your video as DV (Digital Video), rather than as HDV.   And, again, it not only will be easier for you to work with your video, but it will be more pleasing to you if you initially record and save it as DV, rather than HDV. 

An analogy  is this:

If you record and save video as HD, but then downgrade it so that you can put it on a standard DVD, it's like taking a  Porsche Carrera and turning it into a Volkswagen.   While the Volkswagen may have a nice coat of paint on it, get good mileage, and may go 75 mph, it won't ever perform like a Porsche. Likewise, rather than buying a Porsche Carrera, chopping it down until it looks just like a Volkswagen, you would be must better off if you simply bought a brand new Volkswagen!

As I said in a previous post.... With the availability of so many inexpensive HD Cameras (and now, the ability to Stream HD video), many/most people think that because they have an HD video source and an HDTV, that they have all they need to enjoy HD programming.... WRONG!  You must have a medium/media in order to get the HD source all the way to your TV.   If you don't have a Blu-ray burner, or player, then there is no way you're going to see Hi Def from your video (unless it's delivered as TV programming, directly to your TV by Satellite or Cable.

Obviously, you want to edit the HD video that you have. Premier Elements can do that. But, if you're only going to put it on a standard DVD, then I would not recommend that you ask PE to do it. (It's like asking a spouse to do something they don't want to do! - yikes!)  Instead, simply ask PE to edit and render your video as a Widescree DV format.

Hope this helps.

Kent

• 12. Re: High Quality?
                                NotTooFast Level 1

Kent,

I am streaming from my PC's hard drive, over my home network to a Media Display device that supports 1080p output.  I am recording with a Vixia HF200, so the format is AVCHD mts files.

-Keith

• 13. Re: High Quality?
                                  kentRda Level 1

Keith, That information helps. Thank you.

AVCHD is a High Definition format, and it is also a format that PE can edit.  However, if you bring the video in as HD video, edit it as HD video, then burn it to a Standard DVD, that is the reason that the final output is actually worse than the video you started out with.  You actually (and substantially) downgraded the video when you burned it to a Standard DVD.   To enjoy it in it's full glory, you must burn it to a Blu-ray High Definition disk.

As long as you are 'downgrading' your video from HD to SD, your final product will also be downgraded....simple as that, and it's no fault of the editing software.   That Porsche I mentioned will never be a Porsche again after you turned it into a Volkswagen.

I took a quick look at the settings for your Canon Vixia HF200 camera, and GOOD NEWS.... You have the ability to record your video in DV format! Please do that and I can assure you that you will be very pleased with the results after you take the pictures, edit the pictures, and then burn them to a Standard DVD.

Then, when you obtain both a Blu-ray burner and a Blu-ray player, switch the video recording format on your camera to 1080i/p!  When you do not downgrade your video (as you are doing now), you will be amazed at the clarity and quality of your final product!!    Believe me!  It's true!

More good news..... Blu-ray drives (which can record a Blu-ray disk) are readily available at their lowest prices ever - below $200!

Good Blu-ray players are available for under $150. A Blu-ray player will bring new life to your HDTV and will totally impress you!

Blank Blu-ray disks can be obtained for around $2.50 a piece (they used to be $10 a piece)!   Because blank Blu-ray disks (referred to as BD's) are $2.50 or more a piece, I strongly recommend that you purchase at least ONE rewriteable Blu-ray disk so that you can test your project[s] on it before you permanently burn it to a Blu-ray disk.

I recommend that you look on Amazon.com for this stuff.

Remember, for now, please change the setting on your camera from HD to DV, and you'll have much better, and still very impressive results. When, and only when you can burn Blu-ray disks, then switch your camera back to HD.

G'day Sir!

Kent

• 14. Re: High Quality?
                                    NotTooFast Level 1

Ken,

In my case, I do not want to downgrade to standard definition.  I want to keep high definition, but I don't want to burn any physical media because I have the ability to view my video from a hard drive.

Do you still recommend DV setting on the camera?  If so, what is the final video type I should output my PE finished product?  Would that be DV as well?

-Keith

• 15. Re: High Quality?
                                      kentRda Level 1

Keith,

When you burn a HD project to a Standard DVD, you are downgrading the project - simple as that.

You are correct that if you view the HD footage before it is burnt to a standard disk, you are viewing fantastic HD.  However, (again), when you put that HD video on a standard DVD, you (not your software, or your computer, but you, are downgrading it.

You can't set the OUTPUT (in Sharing) to be DV.  All you can do there is to select what type of disk you are sending it to.  If you  send it to a standard DVD, PE will downgrade it so that it will go onto a standard dvd. However, if you select to send it to Blu-ray, you will get it all.

Obviously, you must choose the lesser of the evils.   From experience, I can easily tell you that the best thing for you to do is to set your CAMERA to record in DV - Widescreen.    You will still be very happy with the picture you get off of your hard drive.   And, when you burn the project to a Standard DVD, then the picture will be as good as it was when you took it! (no downgrading!).

Please put your camera on DV - Widescreen and I can assure you that you will be very pleasantly surprised!   Then, as I said previously, once you get Blu-ray equipment, then switch your camera to full HD and you will receive dramatic results.

Kent

• 16. Re: High Quality?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For your streaming media, what formats can your device handle?

While PrE cannot Burn to Folder for a BD Project, there are other utilities, that will allow one to do this, with a bit of foolery. Programs, like Phantom Drive, will convince PrE that a folder on the HD is a burner, and then PrE will Burn to Disc, but that "disc" is really a folder. Neale, a valued contributor here, listed another such program. With something like this, you should be able to get what you want. If not, then Exporting/Sharing to a compatible HD format, with a CODEC that your player can handle when streamed, should work too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: High Quality?
                                          Chrisholly

Keith

I use a similar camcorder, Canon HF20 which has inbuilt flash mem. I have set the recording settings to the FXP (?) which is 1920x1080i PAL (I'm in Australia so substitute NTSC).  I have a similar dilemma in that I want to record in HD, but I want the option to distribute in a format that family and others can view who don't necessarily had Blu-ray and/or HDTV.  That is the point of buying software like Pre 8.  I respect Kent's view but I don't agree with the solution.

My analogy is - you have a digital camera - Canon 50D or 7D or Nikon or whatever that can capture 12MP or 18MP pictures.  Why would you change settings to capture a 4MP picture just so that its easier to email to family ?  You take shots at, or near maximum resolution and then use something like .... Adobe Photoshop Elements to create a email suitable jpeg. So why should video be any different ?

I too can stream AVCHD files over a 1GB network to a Windows 7 HTPC that out of the box can decode AVCHD files.  I don't need any Bluray writers or disks. Don't get me wrong I want them but hard to justify right now. The issue that I have is what is the best format the Pre8 can write so that I can distribute to others that gives good if not great results.  That is what I paid Adobe AUD 160 for and frankly I feel disappointed with what I got.

So far during my testing, the presets in Share that have the best video output for:

1) HDTV display is H.264 1920x1080i PAL- 25fps - the resulting media output is a AVCHD file.

2) DVD suitable media file is PAL DVD Widescreen- change following settings, Quality to 5 (max), Frame priority to Upper.  I found lower and progressive gave really poor results.  Now if only I could get the audio to work .. 

The only time that I tried directly writing to a DVD, Pre8 reported a DVD error at 98% completion and then crashed.

Regards Chris

My system specs:  Win 7 32bit, i7 920, 3GB Ram, Nvidia 9800GT, Asus P6T m/b.

• 18. Re: High Quality?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not think that I posted this ARTICLE in the thread, and if I did, please ignore. It links to tutorials by Jeff Bellune, one of the most respected contributors to the PrPro forum, and author of a very popular book on Adobe Encore, the authoring program.

He covers a lot of territory, when one starts with HD and need to end up with SD. Might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: High Quality?
                                              NotTooFast Level 1

Kent,

I am sorry that I confused you, but I do not want to burn anything to DVD.  I want to keep the video in electronic format on my hard drive. I will then stream it to an HD capable player such as the WD TV Live, Asus Oi Play or Acer Revo runnin XBMC.  These all support 1080p output, so I am not downgrading anything.

I want to edit the video and output the video in something that will preserve the HD quality.  So far, I have not found the right preset that will provide a quality that is good as the original MTS file.

That is the question I am asking.  Maybe I shouldn't have asked it inside this thread.  I thought it would be an easy one for someone with experience to answer, but I fear I have just confused people. Maybe I will start a new thread.

Thanks,

Keith

• 20. Re: High Quality?
                                                kentRda Level 1

Hi Chris,.

Your analogy of taking still pictures is a good analogy, and I also understand what you are saying.  So, to follow your analogy, I am inclined to stress that:  Taking HD video, then burning it to a Standard DVD is exactly like taking a 20 Mpxl still picture and printing it on plain paper.   While the original picture is still a 20 Mpxl picture, it's appearance will never be better than the paper it is printed on.  With video,  DVD and Bluray's are common delivery media.   With still photos, paper is often a delivery method.  Burning HD on a standard DVD is like printing a 20Mpxl picture on plain paper.

Many people just don't understand why their 20Mpxl still photo (aka-HD Video) doesn't look as good on Plain Paper (aka- A Standard DVD) as it looked on their computer monitor, or if they sent the picture directly to their HDTV from the camera. My reason for suggesting to Keith that he set his camera to DV is that: 1.  I was under the impression that he was saving his edited project to DVD, and 2. That he didn't understand why his final product wasn't as good as his original source was/is.    If someone takes their video through a process that has no choice of downgrading the project, then it would actually be better to start off with a lower quality video. (You can't lose something you never had!).  

Now that we know that no DVD's are involved, my suggestion to Keith is exactly the same as Bill suggested above.

Kent

• 21. Re: High Quality?
                                                  Chrisholly Level 1

Hunt .. thanks for the link.  When I get time I'll watch the tutorial, but to be frank once I see AviSynth, DG tools etc then I get a bit concerned that I don't the level of knowledge that will do those tools justice.  

Kent ... I like your analogies and they make sense.  I believe I'm coming from a differnent angle though and that is keep the source (video, audio, stills etc) as detailed as possible. I believe that its "easier" to drop information than than it is to create bits of information. Its not lost on me that I'm in this forum constantly reading and learning which indicates its probably not as "easy" as it should be to reformat to lower quality and that yes you are probably correct.  But in 5 years time I will still have my HD source files in all their glory - those with SD well they will be trying to create from something they never had.  

Keith ... last but not least - In my testing the preset H.264 1920x1080i gives the best possible quality for playing video on HDTV from a HDD.  The output is a M2TS file (I think - I'm not in front of my PC) which according to specs is playable on WD TV Live and I know is playable on Win 7 MC and WMP. On Win 7 MC using a HDTV it looks fantastic.

Rgds Chris

______________________________________________

Video by Canon, photos by Canon, processor by Intel, operating system by Microsoft, application by Adobe, TV by Sony, DVD by Samsung and I still can't get it to work!