11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 12:57 PM by Gwyg

Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1

Gwyg

Hi. I made a complete film a few weeks ago. I had a problem with flickering image which I tried to get help of you guys. The movie is fine now and plays perfectly. The only problem is that I can't seem to make copies of it when I'm using other progrmas such as Nero 6.6.1.4 or DVDFab 6.2.0.5. Perhaps it's wrong to ask you guys, but any ideas why it happens? I tried to burn the film to a folder instead of to a DVD, but as I was using Nero to burn from folder to a DVD film, there were a few scenes that the film just wouldn't play. I could of course export a DVD through Premiere Elements for each copy, but it's rather annoying to do so as it takes about 12 hours. But it does the work...

If you don't have a quick solution, don't bother too much since I can make it work the slow way. But strange as I had no problems copying with Nero before when I made my other film 3 years ago...

• 1. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
          Gwyg Level 1

P.S: When I mentioned that I tried to burn the film to a folder instead of to a DVD, I meant that I exported in PE1 to a folder.

• 2. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
            nealeh Level 5

To start you should update your PC with all Windows Updates, Graphics card drivers, sound card drivers, and install the latest version of QuickTime. Does PRE1 have a 'Share Tab'? If so then you should burn your movie to folder from the DVD option in Share. Also give details of your movie footage (what filmed with, how it got onto your PC, and what the format is.

This will also help: Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If I understand what you're saying, you burned your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a DVD disc. If so, this is the correct way to produce your files if you plan to make several copies of your DVD.

The folder you create will have two folders in it, VIDEO_TS AND OpenDVD. To make copies of your DVD, all you need to do is burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD disc.

Any DVD burner software will do this. However, some programs (like Nero) do require you to burn the file as a playable disc rather than a data disc.

I'm not sure why you're having problems with the DVDs you've burned. But, per my books, you can increase the likelihood of success if you:

1) Use a name brand DVD, like Verbatim, and avoid cheaper, poor quality discs, like Memorex.

2) Never burn at faster than 8x speed.

3) Never stick a label of any kind onto your DVD disc.

• 4. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                Gwyg Level 1

Is it possible problems were caused because I tried to burn both folders (VIDEO_TS AND OpenDVD) instead of only VIDEO_TS?

Other than that I use Verbatim, burn in 4x speed and put no labels on DVD's, and I do burn as playable DVD, not data.

In reply to nealeh, I will make all updates suggested. There is no "Share" in PE1.

I filmed with a DV camcorder (AVI output) and simply connected to the PC with my firewire.

But if nothing works, I'll simply make more copies by exporting. It means only 3 more nights as 3 is the remaining number of copies I need to make.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you only have problems playing the DVD on your DVD player or are there problems playing it on your computer too?

Also, what happens if you use your computer's DVD player software to play the VIDEO_TS folder from your hard drive?

Finally, since you are using version 1 of the software, can you confirm that you are using Windows XP SP3? Premiere Elements 1 can only be used on Windows XP.

• 6. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have a software DVD player program on your computer? This would be something like CyberLink's PowerDVD, or the free MediaPlayer Classic HC. I would play the VIDEO_TS folder (Opening one of the IFO, or the first VOB in that software player), and test that. Do all Scenes play?

I am a big fan of the free burning utility, ImgBurn to do the physical burn to DVD. As Steve points out, you only need the VIDEO_TS folder. Note: there are a lot of ads on the ImgBurn page, so navigate down to the actual ImgBurn download. Some folk have had issues with both Roxio and Nero for burning.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                      nealeh Level 5

Gwyg wrote:

In reply to nealeh, I will make all updates suggested. There is no "Share" in PE1.

OK, I asked because in PRE7 export has a different function.

If you download and install the free Windows Media Player 11 for XP, it should be able to play your DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder if it burned correctly.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                        Gwyg Level 1

I use Windos XP with SP 3 indeed. To be honest I don't have a DVD player software installed on my computer so I haven't really tried it. I can't rey it again since I deleted that folder since it didn't work. I exported again to a DVD instead. But how come it isn't possible to simply copy from DVD top DVD. It's not protected as it is not a commercial movie.

I have to appologise and say that I haven't done anything of your suggestions yet as I don't have the time at the moment (It's the afternoon for me now), but later in the evening I will sit and deal with it.

But I appreaciate all of your answers. I guess you could ignore me until I try something and report you guys.

Cheers,

Gil

• 9. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                          nealeh Level 5

PRE is an authoring product rather than a disk burner. For multiple copies you would do as you first did - burn to a folder - and then use disk burning software to copy that to DVD.

Judging DVD quality within PRE is often misleading. The best option is to burn to a folder, burn a DVD (use re-writeables for testing) and then view it on an external player.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have a good DVD-Video, you can use the great, free utility, ImgBurn to do as many copies as you want. If you have two burners, it's very easy and quick, as it only involves the physical burn time. If you only have one burner, then it is a bit slower, as the VIDEO_TS folder must be copied to your HDD, and then you can set ImgBurn to do however many copies as you want, say 5. From this point, you will just be looking at the physical burn time, and swapping out the finished copy DVD's for blanks.

As for a DVD software player, the free MediaPlayer Classic HC is a good choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problems copying a movie made in Premiere Elements 1
                              Gwyg Level 1

Hi guys. I tried to update my drivers but everything is already updated. I will try to use ImgBurn and make copies. If it doesn't work I'll export to folder and then burn. I'm sure some solution would work out.

Thanks for all the help from all of you.

Gil