Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install current Flash Player for Windows XP IE8

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I would like to make sure I have the most current up-to-date versions of Adobe Flash Player, Shockwave, etc., along with Java. After doing some searches, I came across a previous forum of yours involving these issues. I feel that you could be able to help me out with some information. Overall, I would like to have the current programs/version, and be able to delete/uninstall any older ones that may not be necessary. I will provide you with as much info that you may need in order to begin helping me. Please let me know what other info you may require. I appreciate your assistance in this matter. Thanks! -B

Windows XP Service Pack 3

IE8

Norton Internet Security

Add/Remove Programs:

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX v10.0.45.2

Adobe Reader 8.2.1

Adobe Shockwave Player 11

Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9

Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_01

Java(TM) 6 Update 17

Java(TM) 6 Update 2

Java(TM) 6 Update 3

Java(TM) 6 Update 5

Java(TM) 6 Update 7

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

IE currently loaded add-ons:

Name          Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper

Publisher     Adobe Systems, Incorporated

Status        Enabled

File date     Friday, December 18, 2009, 2:16 AM

Version       8.2.0.81

Load time     0.00 s

Name          Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Publisher     Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Status        Enabled

File date     Sunday, October 11, 2009, 4:17 AM

Version       6.0.170.4

Load time     0.64 s

Name          JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class

Publisher     (Not verified) Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Status        Enabled

Version       6.0.170.4

Load time     0.00 s

IE all add-ons:

Status        Enabled
Version       6.0.170.4
Load time     0.00 s

Name          isInstalled Class
Status        Enabled
File date    
Sunday, October 11, 2009, 4:17 AM
Version       6.0.170.4

Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       6.0.170.4
Load time     0.64 s

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.17

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_02
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.2

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.3

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.5

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_07
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.7

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       1.6.0.17

Name          Web Browser Applet Control
Status        Enabled
Version       6.0.170.4

Name          Deployment Toolkit
Status        Enabled
File date    
Version       6.0.170.4

Status        Enabled
Version       8.2.0.81
Load time     0.00 s

Name          Adobe PDF Reader
Status        Enabled
File date     Friday, December 18, 2009, 2:17 AM
Version       8.2.0.81

Name          Shockwave ActiveX Control
Publisher     Adobe Systems Incorporated
Status        Enabled
File date    
Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 10:24 AM
Version       10.3.0.24

Name          Shockwave Flash Object
Status        Enabled
File date     Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 6:58 PM
Version       9.0.16.0

Name          SVG Document
Status        Enabled
File date    
Thursday, April 14, 2005, 2:24 PM
Version       3. 03. 0. 94

I hope this information will be of some help. Again, my goal is to uninstall and reinstall Adobe and Java. I would like to only have 1 version (if possible), making sure it's the most current one, while deleting/uninstalling any previous versions or unnecessary files/add-ons. Basically, just trying to get the computer cleaned up and make web browsing more efficient (recently have had some difficulties displaying web pages using these programs). I am familiar with the programs and processes as a whole, but I believe you have more intellect and experience in the detailed areas. Thank you in advance for your time, and let me know if you need any other info. Thanks! -B

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Hi, well I am finally getting caught up! I can see from my last post to you, I was in such a hurry that I should have used spell check:-)

Thanks on the Add/Remove info. I hardly ever go there unless I want to remove something.

So you did it all over again? LOL, well it paid off I see. That Java 2SSV; I just keep mine disabled. Interesting on the Deployment Toolkit. I have never had FF on my system, but this past week Java installed it into my add ons. So I disabled the auto download etc from Java

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your aim is very sensible; you should only have softwares with the latest security fixes installed.

Doing that manually can be a pain.  For instance Java, until version 6 update 10 left the older versions untouched - they had to be manually uninstalled (as you can see from your own list above).  You still need to uninstall these old Java versions, but from v6u10 the new installs will replace the current one.

Now, fortunately there is a lot of help out there with this task.  First, there is the Calendar of Updates, which gives you all software updates on a daily basis.

Then there are a number of tools that will scan your computer, and inform you of outdated or insecure applications:

Using these tools will leave you with a pretty clean and secure system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! Very helpful suggestions indeed. I'm going to continue the removal process with eidnold, and will definitely check out Secunia, along with the other links you provided. It's always great to get new info on topics such as these. I appreciate your time and input. Thanks again!

-B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bsinatra24, Thank you for the great list of your files and add ons. I see that Bob replied to you and those are good suggestions. I am familiar with Secunia, but wasn't about the other three. Something to keep in mind and bookmark since

updates occur frequently.

First, I would suggest of course to Remove the old Java from Add/Remove. When I say old, I mean ALL of them. Start with the oldest one first, which would be vs 1.3.1_01, then all of the 5.0 Updates in order (2 to 11), then 6 Updates (1-17)

Click on each entry and Remove. When all have been removed, then Reboot (restart) your computer.

After that it would be a good idea to check ALL of your add ons of Java, including all categories of placement, i.e. "currently loaded" etc. Make note of any that were not removed.

Since you use Norton Internet Security, the version number would be helpful and do you know how to Disable it? This would be a factor when Installing Flash Player, not now.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. I removed/uninstalled ALL Java in the order which you stated, and restarted. There are no Java items/programs listed in my Add/Remove, so that all worked. Here is a list of remaining add-ons I believe are related to Java, listed in their respective categories:

Currently Loaded Add-ons

Name          CNisExtBho Class
Publisher     Control name is not available
Status        Enabled
Load time     0.00 s

Name          CNavExtBho Class
Status        Enabled
Load time     0.00 s

Status        Enabled
Load time     0.53 s

All Add-ons

Status        Enabled
Load time     0.53 s

Name          CNavExtBho Class
Status        Enabled
Load time     0.00 s

Name          CNisExtBho Class
Status        Enabled
Load time     0.00 s

Name          AudioWizard Class
Status        Enabled

Name          SymLTQueries Class
Status        Enabled

Name          aimlocator Class
Status        Enabled

Status        Enabled
Version       6.0.170.4

Run Without Permission

Status        Enabled
Version       6.0.170.4

Downloaded Controls

-No add-ons associated with Java or Sun Micro

I am using Norton Internet Security 10. I'm pretty sure I know how to disable it, but if you know of a quick and easy way, by all means let me know. Also, I forgot to mention that I use Webroot's Spysweeper & Window Wash. Those are both up to date and have never had an issue with them. I know how to disable those as well. One thing to note, while I was removing the Java programs, Spysweeper popped up and said that Java was trying to install a BHO add-on, and to allow or block (by default, it blocks it). I blocked that since I figured the thing we are trying to do is remove the add-ons, so there ya go, but I think that those 2 add-ons above are related to that, since I don't recall seeing them before we began talking. Also, there's 3 up there that have no control name, but were listed with the Java ones, so not sure if those are related or not.

On a side note, I usually have noth the Windows firewall "on" and the Norton fiewall "on." I know of the issues related to having both on at the same time. Prior to our discussions, I turned Window "off" and left Norton "on", but still saw no difference in my web browsing; however, pages did seem to load quicker, but I still had poor Java and Adobe functionality. Curious to know what input you have on that. Anyways, I'm sure we'll get to that later; just wanted to throw that out before I forgot.

So, I guess we'll finish with the Java, do the Adobe, and then go from there. Let me know if you need anymore info. Thanks!

-B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The old Java have been removed and the only thing I see is the Java(tm) Plug-in 2SSV Helper and the Deployment Toolkit. Are you sure Spysweeper gave you that warning that Java was trying to Install a Java add on? Very strange, since you were not installing anything. Even stranger is that it popped up at all, since all of the other Java add ons were removed. Interesting. Regardless, there are only 2 Java add ons, the ones I just listed.

You can try to remove/delete them manually, by right clicking on each.

The Deployment Tookit, are you using FF or another browser or have?

The other add ons etc are related to Norton and AOL.

On this thread are the instructions for installing Java 6 Update 18. Page down on the thread until you see the link posted for Java.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

When i right-click, it doesn't have a delete/remove option, only a disable option. So I went ahead and did that. Is that sufficient?

Originally, my computer was SBC Yahoo! main browser (then became AT&T Yahoo!), but I have my default browser set to IE. That's all I believe I have. Regarding the FF, the only thing I know of is that on rare occassions (while on the net) I'll see a blue-ish FF icon in the bottom right icon tray next to the time, but it comes and goes and I don't recall anything else happening. I will proceed to install the Java 6 Update 18 after I post. Talk to ya soon. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Told ya I'm new at forums. Am I missing something? I went through the thread and didn't find the Java link. Did you post it? Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install the latest Java RTE directly from http://www.java.com/ - this is a simplified installation from the one found at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp, where people are sometimes confused about which version to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, You are probably right about it being less confusing. Sometime back when I was reading the Java site and trying to understand the different platforms and when I finally found the one that most users need, I just bookmarked that one.

So then when it was time for me to update my own Java I just made notes as I proceeded and so have been using that.

I'll check it out, your instructions seem a lot easier

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sorry about that. I think yesterday's interruptions continued over into today. LOL

Here is the thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/593693?tstart=0

This is the Java link: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

When you go to that thread, just page down until you see the link for Java.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. Disabling those 2 Java entries is all you can do then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Went to the link...which one am I downloading? There's 3 categories: "Java Platform, Standard Edition" (with choices of JDK or JRE), "Java SE Development Kit (JDK) Bundles," and "Additional Resources." Do I start with the platform?; and if so, which one, the JDK or JRE? Sorry if I'm being a pain, I just wanna get it right. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use the download link at this (less confusing) site http://www.java.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2010 Mar 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Did you use the site Bob suggested? It may be less confusing for you. If you are seeing what you described however,

you are looking at the Java images. I think my instructions said to look for "Here are the Java SE downloads in detail",

and then page down until you see "What Java do I need?", etc. To the right is a small rectangle bar with "Download JRE"

Review the instructions on that thread you went to and then look at the Java site again.

You weren't following my instructions:-)

If you want to use the other link, that's fine as long as you get the JRE.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Sorry about that. I misunderstood the post and then totally misread the thread instructions; my bad. Anyways, I followed the instructions and rebooted. In add/remove the only java listed is Java(TM) 6 Update 18, 97.15MB. I'm guessing that means installation went well. Here is what's listed as add-ons for Java/Sun Microsystems:

Currently Loaded:

Status        Disabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 15 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7
Load time     (0.00 s)

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 16 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7
Load time     0.02 s

All Add-ons:

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 17 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7
Load time     0.02 s

Status        Disabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 18 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7
Load time     (0.00 s)

Name          Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18
Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 18 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 19 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Name          Web Browser Applet Control
Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 19 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 20 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Status        Disabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 20 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Run Without Permission:

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 22 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 22 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 23 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 23 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 24 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Status        Disabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 24 minutes ago
Version       6.0.180.7

Downloaded Controls:

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 25 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 26 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Status        Enabled
File date     Today, March 13, 2010, 26 minutes ago
Version       1.6.0.18

Any idea on why it looks like there are duplicates? Let me know what else you need. Thanks!

-B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well I see you figured it out. After that one post of yours, I had to go back and read the thread with my instructions and was hoping I wasn't confused also. Forgetful, yes. LOL

Well the main thing is you have the Java all done  I am just getting back on the forum. I've been working on my own system.

The Duplicates, I know. This is all IE8! That's another reason I keep IE6:-) Like anyone is going to get up off the couch and say, well let me go see how many add ons are running without permission?  Good grief. Ha-Ha. This is an exact reason that users should have input when they are working on the betas. Ok, rant off now:-)

You actually have (I use shorthand here) the 2SSV, JQSIE, 1.6.0_18 (3), applet & the Toolkit)

The Deployment Toolkit they probably installed since you may have the FF(old vs or otherwise or some other browser),

Remove it if you can or disable it.

I'll post back in a few minutes the next step.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Now you are going to Uninstall/Install Flash Player.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html  This is the Adobe Uninstaller, which you will download and put on your Desktop.

Following is the Installer for IE that you will SAVE to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Read over the Uninstall instructions and if you have any questions, please ask before you start. Pay particular attention

to the last NOTE. Do you know how to find the Flash folder?

Put the Uninstaller and the Installer on your Desktop, read over the above and then post back if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I downloaded the uninstall & install for flash and saved to desktop. I have a few questions before I proceed.....The Deployment Toolkit is disabled (still cannot find a way to remove/delete it); Regarding the duplicate add-ons, should I disable all but one, or just leave as is? Prior to installing flash, should I remove/uninstall my current one from my Add/Remove list? And if so, do I also remove/uninstall any of the other Adobe programs I have listed in my original post? And finally, after all that, and before installing, do I close/disable everything including, browser, webroot, norton, etc.? Let me know; just wanna make sure I get it done correctly. BTW, your rant was fine I understand. Thanks for all the help so far. Talk to ya soon.

-B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Putting those on the Desktop until you need them is a good idea.  The Deployment Toolkit, just leave it disabled. It didn't come down when I updated Java, but I've never had any browser except IE and Java knew that:-)

All of the Java Add/ons & Plug-ins. I should have made myself more clear. Those are not DUPLICATES per se. Microsoft decided with IE8, and perhaps IE7 to list them in Duplicate places!!! Think of it this way, you have 3 add ons and they are listed in 5 places. No, you don't have 15, just 3  That is why I was ranting- LOL Java didn't send 15-20 down, IE just multiplied them when they got here. ROFL!  So, just leave them as they are. Since I use IE6, I have only what Java sent,

5 to be exact:-)

No on the Add/Remove, nothing to do there. Adobe will replace it on the Install. No also, nothing needs to be removed

regarding Adobe.

Now, the only thing I would like for you to do is perhaps print out any part of the Uninstall info to make it easier on following that last NOTE.

Also just know how to disable Norton, Webroot, & the Firewall. Anything else?

I'll give you the step by step to start the process, as to what to do when.

My next post will have that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Trying to catch up with you.  Don't start any Uninstall/Install until I give you the directions. I am going to take a coffee break, since we are in EST and moving our clocks ahead 1 hour. So take a break, I'll be back with your info.

No, you had it right. I was talking about the NOTE in the Uninstall instructions, since it pertains to IE and that is what you use.

What time zone are you in?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. Just posted before I saw your most recent one. No worries, I'm good. I'm in Chicago, so CST, an hour behind. Yeah that's right, we have to jump forward tonite. Man that sucks. Oh well, happens every year, right? I'll check back with ya in a few.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Time change every Spring & Fall:-) Now I am going to give you the directions to find the Flash folder.

You don't need any browser open for this. Click on Start, My Computer, Look for Local Disk(C:), right click on it and click Open, look for and right click on a Windows folder and click on Open, then you will look for a large folder System32, right click on it and click on Open. Look for a folder Macromed, right click on it and click on Open. You should now see a folder

that says Flash. Right click on it and click on Open. Those are your Flash files. Post back to me what is listed there, with

version numbers. Since we have not checked these before I don't know what is there, but you need to know what shouldn't be there when you are Uninstalling, so I need to know now. An install.log or a uninstall_activeX.exe won't have a version number but the rest will.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Ok, here's what's in that folder:

Flash10e.ocx, v10.0.45.2

FlashUtil10e.exe, v10.0.45.2

Install.log

Ininstall_ActiveX.exe, v10.0.45.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well that is what should be. Did you Uninstall and Install? Are those the only files there?

Go to the Manage add ons and look for Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx and see if that is listed and enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

No, I haven't done any uninstall/install regarding the Flash (have done nothing since my #17 post). Those are the only four items in that Flash folder. I took a second look at my add-ons, and this is what's currently there:

Currently Loaded:

Status        Enabled
Version       8.2.0.81
Load time     0.00 s

All Add-ons:

Status        Enabled
Version       8.2.0.81
Load time     0.00 s

Status        Enabled
Version       8.2.0.81

Status        Enabled
File date     Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 10:24 AM
Version       10.3.0.24

Status        Enabled
Version       9.0.16.0

Name          SVG Document
Status        Enabled
File date     Thursday, April 14, 2005, 2:24 PM
Version       3. 03. 0. 94

Run Without Permission:

Status        Enabled
Version       10.3.0.24

Status        Enabled
Version       9.0.16.0

Status        Enabled
Version       8.2.0.81

Downloaded Controls:

Status        Enabled
Version       10.3.0.24

Status        Enabled
Version       9.0.16.0

It seems they are all enabled. Do certain ones need to be in the different "categories," or is that after we re-install? (and if so, how do we do that?) Hope this is what you need. Let me know what's next, or any more info you need. (Getting tired, so if I don't reply tonight, I'll get back to you first thing tomorrow). Thanks!

-B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines