1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 1:45 PM by Sean_Wilson

Captivate vs. Director.... anyone know?

richardELeach Level 1

Hi-

I've recently downloaded Captivate 4 and succesfully prototyped a few presentations that look, work and behave nicely. The only problem is that I'm on a Mac and Captivate 4 is only available for Windows. MANY moons ago I actually worked with Director (even before Adobe got the product, anyone remember Macromind???)

My questions are:

Does anyone know enough about the 2 products (Captivate 4 and Director 11.5) that can speak to whether or not Director can do all of the major presentation functionality that Captivate currently offers? (We're not much into the quizzes and testing pieces)

I went down the Flash route and for what I need to do (bang out 1-3 small (5-10 slide) presentations per day that are voice narrated, synchronized with some basic transitions and video) Flash was overkill, at least when compared to Captivate. The main thing was the timeline metaphor; Flash and all of its Actionscript was simply too much, where Captivate fit nicely with a much more simplified mouse click/properties panel and did what I needed it to do.

Is Director closer to Flash in the way you actually build presentations? Do I need to be an Actionscript/Lingo guru? And I'm assuming I can export my presos from Director to swf format; I definitely do not want my viewers to have to download another plug in to view my presos.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rich

• 1. Re: Captivate vs. Director.... anyone know?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
          Is Director closer to Flash in the way you actually build presentations?

Closer to Flash than Captivate - though I'm not a Captivate user, so take that with a grain of salt.

And I'm assuming I can export my presos from Director to swf format; I definitely do not want my viewers to have to download another plug in to view my presos.

No - Director doesn't export to SWF. You can publish to Shockwave (the Director browser plugin), but end-users will need to have the plugin installed or be prepared to download it.