6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 5:19 AM by Deaniweeenie

Huge, Huge, Huge file size

stevenoi1

Hello,

I have a short movie from about 5 minutes, but when it's rendered the file size is 799 MB. I know this isn't normal, but can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I use save the file as a quicktime movie, with audio (I use the Composition > Add to render que thing).

Thanks in Advance,

Steven Raaijmakers

• 1. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That file size isn't that abnormal. I render out 10 second animations that are over 2 GB in size relatively regularly.

"Quicktime" is only a container, just like AVI is only a container. There are tons of compression possibilities within it. What codec you use and the codec's settings all determine how large your final video file is.

Generally speaking, the best practice is to export a lossless file from AE (which is going to be large) and use a different program to compress it.

My friend Dave LaRonde from CreativeCOW.net explains why:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all.

There is even a whole forum at CreativeCOW.net dedicated to compression techniques.

• 2. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's information here about encoding and compression options for movies.

• 3. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I know this isn't normal,

But it is! The default Quicktime output is the Animation CoDec and the numbers fit. Please do some general reading up on compression formats, CoDecs and all that. You can find enough posts here on this forum and lots of tips on Google, Yahoo, Bing or whatever is your favorite web search. If you need more detailed instructions for specific outputs, provide info on where you want to use the file and what its resolution and frame rate are.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
                stevenoi1 Level 1

Thanks all for the quick respones! And sorry for not looking around enough. I thought it wasn't normal because I have movies from 1 hour that are around the same size!

• 5. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I thought it wasn't normal because I have movies from 1 hour that are around the same size!

Movies are compressed differently depending on how they are to be used. When they are intended as intermediate files (i.e., as input into another piece of post-production software), they are compressed very little. That is the default from After Effects because After Effects is primarily meant as a compositing, motion graphics, and visual effects tool, and it feeds into other tools, like non-linear editors. If, on the other hand, the movie is intended to be played back from a DVD or distributed over the Web, then the movie is compressed a lot---and in one of many, many specific ways.

The upshot is that you really need to begin by knowing what it is that you want to do with the movie. And then you need to learn about what output options are best for that purpose.

There's a good article from Aharon Rabinowitz linked to from this page that talks about how you need to be thinking about the details of output from the very beginning of a project.

• 6. Re: Huge, Huge, Huge file size
                    Deaniweeenie

Not sure what your format is but I find that you get about 5 minutes per gigabyte with DV footage (720x576 PAL)