26 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 10:21 AM by gpecht

Editing in instant movie

mopunkie

I am making progress using instant movie.  I have selected the retro theme and notice my clips are in black and white.  Is there a way to shut that effect off within the instant movie perameter?  I also have not figured out how to lower the volume on the background music.  It seems a little overpowering, even though I am us.ing the smartmix option.  It isn't quite so loud in another theme.  Perhaps less "upbeat" music might make a difference. ??  Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Editing in instant movie
          nealeh Level 5

As you go through the Instant Movie dialogue you will reach a 'Customize this theme' window. There is no 'fine' control over elements but you can disable ALL 'Transitions, Effects and Sound effects'. There is also a Music section where you could substitute your own music.

im1.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing in instant movie
            mopunkie Level 1

Thanks for your response.  Sure seems like an all or nothing.  I like everything about the theme but just want to tweek it.  Any way to just eliminate the black and white effect...only.

• 3. Re: Editing in instant movie
              nealeh Level 5

Not that I know of. All or nothing it is (I'm basing this on PRE7 - the version I use).

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Editing in instant movie
                mopunkie Level 1

That is so ridiculous.  I am trying as a novice to produce something reasonably creative and yet one of the few themes offered does so in black and white. Jeez.  I have been working on transferring 20 year old videos, some 25 8mm tapes and have found nothing but aggravation with PE8.  I have an older version that worked far better. As I plod along....

• 5. Re: Editing in instant movie
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There were some discussions on customizing Themes (Instant Movies) on Muvipix. I believe that Robert Johnson offered up some editing tips on this customizing operation. I'd search the Muvipix Community for "themes," and then "instant movies." There might have been some posts here too, but I'd wager that it was long before the forum changeover, and those threads are probably now lost.

Now, those older threads were for earlier versions, but might still apply to PrE 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editing in instant movie
                    mopunkie Level 1

I did try what you suggested and was able to remove the black and white while also removing some of the neat auto effects but have a relatively satisfying product and not too quirky video.  So far so good.  Thanks.

• 7. Re: Editing in instant movie
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This has got me wondering. I do not use Instant Movie, but if you have several Effects provided by it, are they editable in Effects Control Panel. Part of Instant Movie is just Effects Presets. If one CAN Edit Effects in the Effects Control Panel, all you'd have to do is just turn OFF the B/W Effect.

Now, I only have PrE 4, but will look there.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Well, in PrE 4 Themes, there does not appear to be a way to go into the affected Clips and alter the Effects - that would have been too easy. I assume that it is the same with PrE 8. Now, Robert Johnson's editing of the Themes still might be useful. I'll have to see if I can find the links to those discussions.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 8. Re: Editing in instant movie
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might be useful.

More if I find them.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Editing in instant movie
                          mopunkie Level 1

I tried that.  Apparently instant movie over road it.  I found it best to

click off the options as Nealah? suggested.

But to address your query, one would think you could option them on or off.

No luck.

thanks.

k

• 10. Re: Editing in instant movie
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I suppose that the thinking is that most users wanting Instant Movies want them to be automatic, but they do give one the option to turn certain aspects On, or Off. If one wants more control, they can just add the various Effects that go into the Instant Movie Theme. That gives a user three options: Instant Movie straight, altered to a degree, or replicated manually. At least PrE does offer some control. The first time that I encountered similar, it was all, or nothing. Many users of that program were highly disappointed. Also, once one added a Theme, the Project could not be reverted! If the user had not done a Save_As, all of their work was hosed but good.

Personally, I have never seen any, in any NLE program, that did anything for me. However, I seldom even use simple animation Presets, and do it all by hand, so I am not a good example.

Most of all, good luck, and let us know if Robert Johnson's editing of the code for the Instant Movie works. I would think that one could delete references to say the B/W Effect, but have never tried it.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Editing in instant movie
                              gpecht Level 1

Actually there is a way to customize your instand movie, I do it all the time and I have PE7. Once your movie is created you can break it appart and

modify all the effects and the music. It is not all too strait forward if you are new to the program.

I believe you have to right click your movie in the media window to get to the >>break appart<< command. I can't check right now, but I will check back later and see if you found it.

Once you broke the instand movie appart, you will have multiple tracks, don't get scared! You have to find the clip you whish to modify by scrubbing  through your movie to the clip with the unwanted effect. Now select the clip in the time line and go to >Properties<. Here you should see all the effects applied to the clip and you can remove them or modify them to your taste. You have now also access to the sound track to change the volume or replace it with something different.

• 12. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neat! Probably the ONE thing that I did not do in my Themes test in PrE 4 was a Rt-click on the resultant Clip in the Timeline. Gotta' go back and try that. Seemed illogical that one could not adjust things, but then I recall a much earlier NLE where it was a "done deal," the instant that you clicked Apply.

Thanks for this. I will check this out tomorrow, but in PrE 4 - sorry...

Appreciated,

Hunt

[Edit] OK, in PrE 4, there is no such option. Now, I could display the Keyframes for the B/W Effect, though could not edit it. Maybe PrE 7 & 8 made major changes. I just cannot test them.

• 13. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                  gpecht Level 1

Bill, I don't know how it works in PE4. I had 1, 2 and 3, skipped 4 and 8 and I"m very happy with version 7. Here is a screen shot, maybe that will help.

Pic1.jpg

As for the black and white effect, I think the OP wanted to remove the effect. You would accomplish that by highlighting the effect in the properties panel and than click the trashcan icon. This is how it looks after the instand movie is broken appart.

Pic2.jpg

• 14. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. Obviously a difference in version. As Adobe changed the name from Themes to Instant Movie, it would make sense that many things changed.

Hope that your tips help the OP.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                      nealeh Level 5

I find it very disturbing that my subconscious has been thinking of PRE overnight. I came down realising I was approaching it the wrong way. Rather than trying to change Instant Movie settings, better to edit them from the completed movie.

You've beaten me to it! But it's good that mopunkie can now fix his movie.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                        nealeh Level 5

How did you get the 'retro' theme into PRE7? I have twenty IM themes in my PRE7 but none of them titled 'retro'.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                          mopunkie Level 1

You guys are amazing.  I will try it this am.  Retro theme is in both theme and instant movie section in PE8.  It is a juke box theme.  Very color

ful.  I have my coffee and am going to tackle it now.  Did a quick burn test last night only to discover much of the clip was in fast motion.  Cute, if they were chipmunks!  Realy appreciate all the help.

• 18. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                            mopunkie Level 1

him is a her!!! hehe!

k

• 19. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                              mopunkie Level 1

Seriously, now I have another issue.  I select my clip, go to instant movie to add my retro theme and when I do so, and play it back on the timeline, it is in fast forward mode.  I played the clip by itself and the sound is normal.  Only when I add the retro to it is it sped up.  Ugh!  Thanks for your patience.

• 20. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                nealeh Level 5

mopunkie wrote:

him is a her!!! hehe!

Bah!! I had originally put 'her' but then spotted a male avatar so changed it.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

[UPDATE] - Now I'll know

• 21. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                  nealeh Level 5

gpecht wrote:

As for the black and white effect, I think the OP wanted to remove the effect. You would accomplish that by highlighting the effect in the properties panel and than click the trashcan icon. This is how it looks after the instand movie is broken appart.

Pic2.jpg

gpecht, how did you get the retro theme into PRE7 - it doesn't appear in my PRE7 list.

Cheers,
                                                  --
                                                  Neale

• 22. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                    goodvirginia

Thank you! Your response solved all my current problems. I lowered the volume of the soundtrack and turned off the "old film" effects.

I'm using PE 7.

• 23. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and glad that Neale was able to help and get your Project editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                        videosmaster

On Pre 7 the option is on Sceneline... right click on you instant movie and the option BREAK APART should appear. For some reason that option does not appear on Timeline (on my Pre 7) once you break it apart you can edit the effects, transitions etc. The way you want them... so you can customize everything!

• 25. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting tid-bit. As I have to admit to not using Themes/Instant Movie, I would have been lost. I also use Timeline 99.9% of the time, so would have been doubly lost! Now, thanks to you, I'd know where to look.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Editing in instant movie
                                                            gpecht Level 1

I have to disagree, I never use Sceneline mode and I'm very sure the command is availlable in Timeline mode too. It is a bit hard to find in the long popup menue you get when you right click, but it is there, toward the bottom of the list.

Have a look in post #13, first screen shot!