9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 3:15 PM by Harm Millaard

Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect

Lord Fren

Hi there!

I have recently stumbled across this after a reinstall of my system. I have Premier Pro CS4 (with recent updates, tried without updates as well) and Windows 7 64bit version (fully up to date).

Here is the deal:

After I create a new project, I leave everything intact, only select 1080 resolution NTSC (or PAL). Than I import the video clips (each clip has audio and video as well) I want to work with. This Import goes fast, and no errors... but when I really want to work with the clips (eg: double click it to start cuting it or draging it to the timeline) this happens:

The audio plays perfectly... but the video is like 1 frame per 60 sec or so. While the audio is completly correct the video plays really slow almost like a stand still image. And the video length on the timeline is accordingly correct to the audio, yet I don't even get to  4-5 frames of video fotage before the clip ends. To sum it up: Video and audio is really out of sync but in a wierd twisted way. Audio remains correct, no increased or decreased speed is detectable, but the video (same clip btw) is not like that. It shows me few frames before the original time of the clip ends.

Is this an Import issue?
      If so How to correct it?
      What type of issue is this?
      How to fix it?

Any ideas?

My System Specs:

Intel E8600 (3,16GHz)
      8 GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte EX48T-DQ6 motherboard
      His Ati Radeon HD 4870x2 Vcard with 2GB of GDDR5 RAM
      Sound Blaster Xi-fi
      optionally integrated sound card (it does not help either)
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit version

All my drivers are up to date, windows is up to date, adope premier pro cs4 is ORIGINAL!!! and up to date
      Disk Fragmentation weekly, Using Eset Smart Security 4 (up to date) and cleaning windows registry every week.

• 1. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
          Harm Millaard Level 7

From what video camera did you get the material, what codec is used and how did you ingest with what sequence settings?

• 2. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
            Matt Petersen Level 3

To me it sounds like the capability of your system to play back the video in the program monitor in real time. But your system looks pretty good.

Any improvement when you change the playback quality in the Program Monitor window options?

What happens if you use "vanilla" SD DV footage?

When you bring your footage into the project, does PP spend much time "conforming" it (progress bar, bottom right corner of app window)? Does it come in with or without a render line above the footage?

matthew

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
              Lord Fren Level 1

Basically soem of the footage is in AVI format (Codec is DivX) I barely use my own cam (it is rather a photo cam, but it has recording function -- I know it sux, but hey, I dont do much video anyways -- but that is 640x480 Avi with some oldcodec) so the footage is from other sites and with different codecs. Mainly Divx Xvid

I have Ace Mega Codecs Pack 6.01... I think but it is the latest as well... with additional: FFDshow, Xvid, Divx, and MKV-OGM format.

All the materials I use play back perfectly.

All settings remain the Adobe Preset (factory settings)... I have tried personal settings, but the same problem exists. It is not the codec from what I can tell, becouse all players including the Windows Media Player plays back everything OK.

• 4. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                Lord Fren Level 1

No iprovement whatsoever.

Changing resolution to 320x240 still the same... converting vids to this resolution... still the same... Using uncompressed formats (huga filesize) still nothing... DV formats... still nothing.

"What happens if you use "vanilla" SD DV footage?"    <- donno about this, describe it for me pls

When importing the confirmation tikes seconds up to a minute, but nothing out of the ordinairy. And no render lines.

OH!!!

And it is not just the playback... if i export this out to a video file (conversion too) the same thing happens... when playing back all i get is 3-4 frames of video footage and total of 4 mins of audio footage.

The problem is that when I import the same videos to After Effects CS4 the same thing happens... Some footage is MPG... i will check if that is the problem...

• 5. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Ah, DivX... that sounds like the issue to me. Forget CODEC packs: nightmare.

AFAIK, neither DivX or XVid are formally supported in PP.

If your footage is so small, what's the reasoning behind using a 1080 preset? that seems odd to me.

MP

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all uninstall every codec pack you have ever installed, unless you enjoy reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows and programs.

Next convert everything from whatever codec is in it (Divx, XVid, or whatever) to MS DV AVI type2. Use Google to find a suitable converter. Accept the quality hit you will suffer, but that is inherent to trying to edit delivery formats, that were only intended for watching, not editing.

• 7. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                      Lord Fren Level 1

I will check your solutions in a few mons... Altough this will greatly impact my video playback capabilitios won't it?

The reason to use 1080p is simple... I edit video with HD format, for clients. This means I have to crop/resize/clean de noise and filter their video footage, to maximum possible quality. Damn you HD era... everything nowadays is HD and ppl need their videos updatet to the size and resolution standard... at least they pay good, so I dont ask any stupid questions...

Thanks for the Codec idea, I will get it done in a sec.

• 8. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                        Lord Fren Level 1

PERFECT!!!!!

Now I know what the issue is... you were right I was the idiot for trying to use video playback codecs for video editing... what a n00b I am. After converting everything to DV format everything is perfect... besides the usual resolution issues But nothing can be perfect.

Thank you for the help guys!

Owe you one ^^

• 9. Re: Premier - imported videos show slow frames, audio plays perfect
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad this solved your issue. Happy editing, and one more remark if I may, you mentioned 1080 HD format, which presumably your source is not. If you want to upscale this material to HD resolution, have a look at the InstantHD Pro plug-in from RedGiant. It is about the best way to increase resolution if your original material does not have it. Scale will give too much quality hits.