14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 5:23 AM by d_rick

PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?

d_rick

hi, i'm a long time PE user, but went away from it due to the lack of BR support in the older versions.

this appears to have been added in FINALLY per the FAQ here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/features/

Share movies in HD for the highest quality

Take advantage of the latest technology and enjoy your movies in  high definition, including on Blu-ray Disc.

however i don't see any details about what formats are supported (i.e. i need 1080p [1920x1080p]) and also full support for AVC, MPEG2, etc..

can someone point me to any documentation that covers this?

TIA

D

• 1. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
          nealeh Level 5

It provides (since PRE7) those items you have listed. The major complaint about Blu-Ray support is that you can only burn to disk, unlike DVD there is no 'burn to folder' option. You can get around this shortcoming with Virtual Burner software, but that adds additional cost.

From other posts in this forum editing AVCHD requires a powerful PC, well exceeding the official system requirements.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
            d_rick Level 1

nealeh wrote:

It provides (since PRE7) those items you have listed. The major complaint about Blu-Ray support is that you can only burn to disk, unlike DVD there is no 'burn to folder' option. You can get around this shortcoming with Virtual Burner software, but that adds additional cost.

From other posts in this forum editing AVCHD requires a powerful PC, well exceeding the official system requirements.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale

thanks neal, that is helpful. i'm only interested in burning to disc (to be clear as in BD-R =disc, not HDD=disk), and can burn to folder in Roxio already, so i'm covered there.

how does this sound for meeting the requirements:

Dell XPS 410
            Q6600 quad core CPU @ 2.40 Ghz
            4GB RAM
            2 x 32 GB  SSD HDD's striped in a RAID 0
            Win 7 Ult x64
            ATI X850XT GPU / no  additional cooler vs. what comes stock

one other question, i need to be able to burn/encode over the network as i don't have near enough HDD in my system, i assume that should work on PE8 as well?

• 3. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
              nealeh Level 5

I can't really answer as I use PRE7 and only work in standard definition. However I also have QuadCore Q6600, 4GB RAM, and W7u-64bit and I'm more than satisfied with the way PRE7 works for me.

Maybe someone else will comment on PRE8-AVCHD.

From your list the major problem is going to be Hard Disks - you don't have them! The SSD's will almost certainly be too small for AVCHD work - I got a low disk warning once with 85GB free and contiguous space. I shifted some files around to create another 100GB and all was well (and remember this was SD work).

The difficulty with network drives is their throughput - they must be fast. Maybe Steve or Bill could chip in - they have a wealth of experience in this stuff. You could also post your question in the muvipix forums.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the Encore FAQ on the supported formats. I believe that they will be the same in PrE 8 for BD.

Hope that this is helpful,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would reserve your SSD's for system, programs and Page File (not sure that the RAID 0 is necessary, or even a good idea), and add 2x large, fast SATA II's, say 1TB each, for media files and then for the Projects and Scratch Disks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                    d_rick Level 1

nealeh wrote:

I can't really answer as I use PRE7 and only work in standard definition. However I also have QuadCore Q6600, 4GB RAM, and W7u-64bit and I'm more than satisfied with the way PRE7 works for me.

Maybe someone else will comment on PRE8-AVCHD.

From your list the major problem is going to be Hard Disks - you don't have them! The SSD's will almost certainly be too small for AVCHD work - I got a low disk warning once with 85GB free and contiguous space. I shifted some files around to create another 100GB and all was well (and remember this was SD work).

The difficulty with network drives is their throughput - they must be fast. Maybe Steve or Bill could chip in - they have a wealth of experience in this stuff. You could also post your question in the muvipix forums.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

i had no plans to use the SSD's for anything more than i do now which are the Windows / program binaries, and swap space.

I have a complete end to end GigE NW, and well over 6TB of NAS space which i want to use as the source / target. i need to better understand the performance requirements of PE before proceeding.

• 7. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                      d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Here is the Encore FAQ on the supported formats. I believe that they will be the same in PrE 8 for BD.

Hope that this is helpful,

Hunt

looks like it's the same as roxio (1920x1080 @ 24 [rounding] FPS), which is fine.

thanks for clarifying.

• 8. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                        d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

I would reserve your SSD's for system, programs and Page File (not sure that the RAID 0 is necessary, or even a good idea), and add 2x large, fast SATA II's, say 1TB each, for media files and then for the Projects and Scratch Disks.

Good luck,

Hunt

agreed, that is the way it's set up now and i don't want to change. i disagree on your RAID0 statement, but this is not the right forum (forgive the pun) to discuss.

i cannot add any more HDD's to this system to PS issues, so i have to do this over the network

• 9. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are thinking about editing to/from a NAS, I think you will be horribly disappointed. I looked into this with my gigabit NAS and it was so-o-o slow. A better solution would be use either FW-800, or even better, eSATA externals. Were I looking into doing HD, the eSATA would be the only place that I would look. All one needs is a PCI/PCIe slot, or an ExpressCard slot.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the "beauty" of any of the non-redundant RAID configs, is that if one HDD goes out - everything goes out. Yes, one does get a speed benefit, but with a potential price tag down the road. That is my biggest concern.

• 10. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                            d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

If you are thinking about editing to/from a NAS, I think you will be horribly disappointed. I looked into this with my gigabit NAS and it was so-o-o slow. A better solution would be use either FW-800, or even better, eSATA externals. Were I looking into doing HD, the eSATA would be the only place that I would look. All one needs is a PCI/PCIe slot, or an ExpressCard slot.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the "beauty" of any of the non-redundant RAID configs, is that if one HDD goes out - everything goes out. Yes, one does get a speed benefit, but with a potential price tag down the road. That is my biggest concern.

ironically enough, that is how i've been doing it on Roxio for the last 6 months. it is slow, but it works, and i can't bring myself to go buy MORE storage when i have almost 10TB of disk spinning in my rack already.

i only have one pcie x1 / x4 (not sure which one is still open without cracking the case) slot, so i need to understand if can load an external enclosure with 2 HDD's that i can then RAID 0 them with. i assume you would support that right?

this is true, however these are enterprise class SSD's, and the MTBF on them is about 10-100x that of SATA. i also am relgious about backup, and keep all my data files off of this system as a matter of practice.

• 11. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You can pick up SATA racks with at least 16 bays, and some have dedicated RAID controllers so you can configure almost any way that you want. For my media and my Export Arrays, I suggest RAID 0, if one only has two HDD's per Array. I just am not a fan of RAID w/o redundancy for system disks, but with good backup and slipstream discs, things should be OK. I also ONLY use redundant Arrays for any original media Assets (except Captures from tape, as I always save and never re-use my tapes), and my "media Array" is with Copies only - the originals are on the NAS and also backed up to externals.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                                d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

You can pick up SATA racks with at least 16 bays, and some have dedicated RAID controllers so you can configure almost any way that you want. For my media and my Export Arrays, I suggest RAID 0, if one only has two HDD's per Array. I just am not a fan of RAID w/o redundancy for system disks, but with good backup and slipstream discs, things should be OK. I also ONLY use redundant Arrays for any original media Assets (except Captures from tape, as I always save and never re-use my tapes), and my "media Array" is with Copies only - the originals are on the NAS and also backed up to externals.

Good luck,

Hunt

i only need 2 bays for these drives as i'm overloaded already on HDD's.

ideally what i'm envisioning is a 2 bay RAID enabled unit that is small and efficient and will do the RAID inside the chassis so i can get a single port eSATA card for the PC. suggestions are welcome if you know of one that fits the bill.

agreed on all points, my data is on RAID 5 for some and RAID 1 for others, and both of those are also backed up to another RAID protected unit. now if i could just find someone to sell me 10TB offsite for a reasonable price...

• 13. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are dozens of small-number bay units with RAID and an eSATA connection. Google turned up maybe 50 2-bay and 4-bay units. Some with, and some without the physical HDD's. Do not know which levels of RAID all offered, but it looked pretty broad in my quick glance. CDW had several, and other suppliers had many more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE 8 / BluRay capabilities - what can it do?
                                    d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

There are dozens of small-number bay units with RAID and an eSATA connection. Google turned up maybe 50 2-bay and 4-bay units. Some with, and some without the physical HDD's. Do not know which levels of RAID all offered, but it looked pretty broad in my quick glance. CDW had several, and other suppliers had many more.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks, i was hoping you might have personal experience one vs. generic google search. most of what i found at Newegg and Amazon yesterday seemed like people were pretty disappointed with.

I'll keep looking.