27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 7:08 AM by Time To Shine

Full Screen/Size Video

Time To Shine Level 1

I don't know exactly how to word this or anything but when I edit my videos in Premiere Pro CS4 and export them they don't fit the size of even the original. I just tested this, I took a movie I had, I put it in Premiere, then I just straight exported it and the size of the video was about three times less then its original size. I can show you examples if need be. Its just like the video has a black border around it. I know I can change the size of the video using Effect Contols>Motion>Scale. However, it doesn't make it big enough even if I cover the whole preview window. Screen shots can be provided if need be. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advanced.

• 1. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is normally a function of having a mismatch between your source footage and your Project Preset.

Please give us great detail on your source footage and also the Project/Sequence Preset.

Then, give us the full details on your Export settings.

Right now, we have no clue, other than that things do not look right. We need details, and all that you can provide.

Good luck, and thanks,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your source video frame size and the sequence you are edting in do not match.

Find out the frame size of your source video and make sure you edit it in a sequence set to the same thing,.

Edit:  Dang,  Hunt is fast.

• 3. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
              Time To Shine Level 1

Okay. Im completely new to this program. Well not competely new. I know what I'm doing with it. But where do I find all this information?

Thank you very much for responding.

• 4. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you shot the video, your camera should indicate what frame size it shoots.   When you started a new project you created a new sequence.  When you create the sequence you choose a preset that matches the video you are shooting.

What is your source footage?  Shot with what cam?

• 5. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on how to provide the necessary info.

Good luck, and we hope to be able to help you,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                    Time To Shine Level 1

Not the one I explained. I have used footage from a camera. The one being explained is downloaded. I also have used pictures with the same output regarding the video size when exported.

• 7. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If the footage was not shot by you, then the great free utility, G-Spot will give you the full details. Even if you have the full details, as you did shoot it, that utility is great to have in your toolbox. If you do not need it today, you will next week.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                        Time To Shine Level 1

Okay so now I got that, thank you very much for that, then I put the video into it. Got the information;

Audio: 44100Hz  128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

Video: 480 x 360

blah blah blah. What do I use and how to I use it? Like do I match the Video size that I listed above with the second option of where there is a whole bunch of folders to chose from?

• 9. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

This is not a standard sized video.  So you will have to create a custom sequence to match this size.

• 10. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                            Time To Shine Level 1

How do I do that?

• 11. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Can you post or point to the video you downloaded?   That will save some time in showing you so specifically what you need.

• 12. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                Time To Shine Level 1

I downloaded it off of youtube. I don't know how to put a direct link to my files.

• 13. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                  Time To Shine Level 1

Uploading it to MegaUpload right now.

• 14. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, your source video will be your guide, 100%. You will want to structure your Project/Sequence Preset to match that. If you do not have standard video, and you do not, you will need to choose the Desktop Preset. This will allow you to then plug in the Frame Size, the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), the FPS, etc., to match your source video. Match every attribute.

Edit, as is necessary, and then you can choose the Export settings, as will be required.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - note that I mentioned "Project/Sequence," as prior to CS4, one did the Project setting, which carried through for each Sequence in it. As of CS4, one can set the Sequences independently, but they still MUST match the source footage 100%.

• 16. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                      Time To Shine Level 1

Im so sorry, Im just completely lost with this stuff. :/.

• 17. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry. It is not that tough, as soon as the concepts sink in. Things like matching the source footage to the Sequence Preset are old hat to most of us, but if one is just starting out, they can be a bit daunting. Too many think of their output first, and this can create problems. That is the last thing to consider, once the matched footage and Sequence are edited. Still, many new-comers look beyond, to the final output - here, we urge them to slow down and take things one step at a time.

I have to put in a plug for Curt Wrigley's book, Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere CS4, Adobe press. Curt takes a user, one logical step at a time, from shooting to final output. He covers the "how" perfectly, but also handles the "why." That element, the "why," was my main complaint with other editions of that book, pre Curt. While PrPro is very flexible, and so powerful, there are some "foundation" steps, that must be followed. Once one gets their head around those, the rest is quite easy.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 18. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                          • Start Premiere Pro
                                          • Start New project
                                          • When it asks for Sequence Preset; click on the General Tab and create a sequence with these settings:
                                          • custom-preset.jpg
                                          • Import your video and it should be the correct size and aspect ratio

Now; the video format you are using is meant for viewing not editing.   So; you will not get really good quality out of it.

There are lots of tutorials and books available on the web on editing and Pr itself.    You will have a much better time if you take advantage of some of them.

Edit:  Thanks for the plug Bill

• 19. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Books? There are books? Who knew?

Actually, I would not be a good salesperson, unless I was selling something that I believed in. When I believe, I can do it, but cannot, if I am not sold myself...

Thanks for taking the OP through the steps. I think that my mention of the Desktop Preset might not have been clear. Sorry about that.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Related to this; I put in a feature request a while ago to show the info Gspot shows in the properties or Info tab for any highlighted clip in Pr.  Wouldnt that be logical?  Right now Pr shows the frame rate and frame size but not the fields info or codec.  Yet if you go into Interpret footage, PR does know the field info; its just not displayed all in one place.

• 21. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                Time To Shine Level 1

Thank you guys so much. Now, doing this (the picture provided by Curt Wrigley) I can match every video size that I have? The ones from my camera are much larger then this. Also, just resizing the pictures would get how I want it?

Thank you very much again for your guys help.

• 22. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Yes.  You create your sequence to match your video footage attributes.  Then resize your photos to match that.  For images there is a right click option c alled "Scale to frame size" that will automatically scale your pictures to the frame size of the sequence.

For footage you shoot yourself; you can use one of the presets rather than creating your own.  There is a preset for all common camcorder formats.  Just match it to your camera format.

Curt

• 23. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

Good feature request! That would be quite logical and useful. Since most of the info is already in the program, just displaying it in one place would be great.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                      Time To Shine Level 1

Okay. That is really nice. Thank you. This is now solved. Thank you two for being very helpful. Now I have a completely different question, should I just start a new discussion or ask here?

• 25. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

If it is a different topic, please start a new thread.  That is more helpful fr people searching for similar problems.

• 26. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Curt's astute observation, it can get very confusing if a thread has progressed beyond a certain point. New readers might well get lost and not realize the the topic has changed. Hence, many may still be addressing solved issues.

If there is some carryover that might prove useful, you can provide a link to this thread in the new one. If it's things like info on your system, your Assets, your Project, etc., I'd restate that info, so that one does not have to manage two threads, just to gather the info to help you. Still, often there are important discussions, that might be germane to the new topic, so a link could well be helpful.

Many will post links to earlier threads, with comments such as "I tried each of the suggestions in this thread (included link), but solution 1 thru 4 had no affect, and solution 5 did part of what I wanted... " Links like that can be very useful, as it keeps us from posting links to threads with solutions, that might already have been read and proved to be less than useful.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on structuring your post. All too often, a poster will not provide anything useful. In a few other cases, they will post their complete Registry, or every CODEC installed on their system, omitting the actual CODEC used in a problem Clip.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Full Screen/Size Video
                                                            Time To Shine Level 1

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Ill post another discussion with hopefully everything you need.