5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 5:29 AM by JETalmage

[Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point

b1177

Hi,

I am trying to do something rather simple, but can't seem to find an answer. What I want to do is create a new line from an anchor point that I've added to a stright line, with the pen tool.

So for example, I draw a simple two points horizontal straight line with the pen, and use the Add Anchor Point to place a new anchor point in the middle. Now I want to draw from the new anchor point, but downwards, so the shape will now look like a T, but all still belong to the same shape (i.e. I don't have to draw a new vertical line and then group it into the horizontal line). When I try to click on the new anchor point I have added it just deletes it, so I don't seem to be able to continue it the same way I would the endpoints of the line.

Is there a way to do this? I'd imagine it should be possible, so I must just be missing something glaringly obvious. Any help would be appreciated!

b1177

• 1. Re: [Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

b,

Is there a way to do this?

The long answer is no.

• 2. Re: [Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The short answer, which I prefer, is nope!

• 3. Re: [Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anchor points in Illustrator have only one in and one out. What you want to do would require an anchor point to have two ins and one out or two outs and one in. The math would be too confusing. To stop AI from deleting the added anchor, check the Disable Auto Add/Delete in your preferences.

• 4. Re: [Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point
                b1177 Level 1

Thanks for all the quick answers. At least I know I'm not crazy for not finding it then. Thanks for the help!

b1177

• 5. Re: [Pen Tool] New line from Anchor Point
                  JETalmage Level 6
                  The math would be too confusing.

I think it's more a matter of traditional convention in drawing programs than anything else. Consider:

Flash does indeed allow you to have a single path with more than two segments connected to a single anchorPoint. For example, in Flash, use the Line tool to draw a tic-tac-toe grid. Get the white pointer and select the path. You'll see that it's treated as "one path." Select one of the intersection points and move it. All four of its associated segments are affected.

Illustrator, Draw, FreeHand, Canvas, et all, draw cubic Bezier curves, which are defined by four coordinate pairs each (i.e.; a single segment). It's just the interface of the program that strings them together by having the segments "share" one of the coordinate pairs.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily be in favor of it; that would depend upon how well the interface was pulled off. But I don't think there's any mathematical reason at all why cubic Beziers couldn't be treated the same way. They just aren't in the traditional Bezier program interface.

JET