12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 12:07 AM by Philippe V8

weird top banner flickering

Philippe V8

Hi,

Before purchasing a license, my company wanted me to have a try at Prem. El. Trail version.

When I import my video files (avi files @ 1280x720, 30fps / 16 bit / compressed with MS-CRAM (Microsoft Video 1 @ 100%)) somehow I get a flickering top banner.  It's not the entire movie length but most of it.  Sometimes it shows the bottom part of my movie (say 50 pix high) but mirrored verticaly.

I have no idea ... is this a problem with my video-driver ?  Is this a problem with the trail version ?  Is this a problem with the video compression I use when rendering the avi in 3D Via Composer ?

If not for this problem, the license would've been purchased by now I guess

Thnx for help !

• 1. Re: weird top banner flickering
          nealeh Level 5

It sounds like a video display problem. Burn a project and play it on a real DVD player to see if the flicker goes away.

It would also make sense to:

• install all windows updates
          • install latest video drivers (from manufacturers rather than supplier)
          • install latest sound drivers (from manufacturers rather than supplier)
          • install latest QuickTime

If the above doesn't cure the problem have a look at this: Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help. to see what additional information would be helpful (PC specification, camera, clip settings, how imported into PRE, GSpot screen capture).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: weird top banner flickering
            nealeh Level 5

Philippe V8 wrote:

When I import my video files (avi files @ 1280x720, 30fps / 16 bit / compressed with MS-CRAM (Microsoft Video 1 @ 100%))

Are you able to import the video in DV-AVI format rather than MS-CRAM?: What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Did you create the project using the HDV 720p 30 settings?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale

• 3. Re: weird top banner flickering
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              (avi files @ 1280x720, 30fps / 16 bit / compressed with MS-CRAM (Microsoft Video 1 @ 100%))

This is likely the issue. What are you starting with, prior to MS Cram?

As Neale mentions, what happens with a DV-AVI Type II file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: weird top banner flickering
                Philippe V8 Level 1

I start from 3D Via Composer.  It's a program which lets you import 3D part files like step files or iges etc to make 3D animations from your company's product.  I use it to make movies which illustrate how to assemble the product, how to clean it, how to use it, etc etc.

I can only render from there to avi format.  I got a set of codec to chose from but the only one that works fine is MS Video 1.  I got Xvid installed but it doesn't work for some reason.  It just won't start rendering.

Is there a way for me to render to DV-AVI from the start ?

I'll try converting my avi to DV-avi trough Elements tomorrow and check what it gives.  I could also render a 10 second movie with 3DVia to have some tests.

• 5. Re: weird top banner flickering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Export from some programs will be limited by that program's designers.

Even if one has certain CODEC's properly installed, does not mean that programs can use them for more than pure playback. Though I have Xvid installed, I cannot get any of my NLE programs to Export to it. Now, most will work just fine with the commercial-cousin to Xvid, DivX. PrPro, PrE, PowerDirector and MovieEdit Pro can all Export to DivX, but crash when trying to use the open-source Xvid. Besides, you do NOT want to use Xvid as anything but a final streaming delivery only format. You are probably lucky that you could not Export with it, as you would loose a great deal of quality, and it would not edit well, if at all.

Now, lets see if we can come up with an intermediate CODEC that will work well for you. So very much depends on your 3D program and how well it interfaces with the system's Registry, regarding CODEC's. One intermediate CODEC that I use and like is Lagarith Lossless. It is very good, efficient, fairly quick, plays well with PrE, PrPro and AE, and best of all, it's free. I would download and install it, and X my fingers that the 3D program will find and use it. The format will be .AVI, but it will not be the pure DV-AVI, so PrE will need to use it to edit the footage. I've never had an issue in any of my Adobe editing programs with it. I use it as an intermediate "transfer" format, especially between my NLE's and AfterEffects. Do a reboot after you install Lagarith.

Unfortunately, I can make no promises that your 3D program will find it and can use it. At the worst, you will have added a very good, free CODEC, that can be used by PrE, but might not help in your workflow.

Also, what happens when you Export to the MS Video 1, and Import that? Maybe you already mentioned the issues, and I have forgotten. Just curious.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: weird top banner flickering
                    Philippe V8 Level 1

I did a test.  I rendered an 8 second movie with no compression at all @ 1280*720.

I importerd it into PreE.  It did have the "top banner" again.

Then I tried to export the file so to create a DV-AVI as explained here:

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Turns out I can't export.  The option in the file menu is blank ... perhaps because I use the trail version ?

Now, I converted this avi with Moyea AVI to FLV.  Then back to AVI using MS MPG4 V3.  Imported that second version into PreE and behold .. the "top banner" is gone ...

What does this teach us ?

While the avi without compression still had the banner, made me think that it wasn't codec related after all ... but now that I found a way to have it without the banner .. maybe it is codec after all ?

However, I don't like this work around.  I probably lose lots of quality converting to flash ?!

PS: when I play the original avi in media player or other soft, I do not have the banner

• 7. Re: weird top banner flickering
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I believe your issues will go away if you convert the file to a DV-AVI. That non-standard codec really seems to be at the root of your problems.

• 8. Re: weird top banner flickering
                        nealeh Level 5

Philippe V8 wrote:

Turns out I can't export.  The option in the file menu is blank ... perhaps because I use the trail version ?

In PRE8 the Export feature is now to be found in the 'Share' tab. The retention of the File>Export feature is for something else (I have forgotten what - possibly something to do with Titles?).

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: weird top banner flickering
                          Philippe V8 Level 1

So I open a new project ( HDV 720p 25 )

I retrieve media and get my 1280x720 avi which has MScram 1 encoding.

I put this movie in Video Track 1

I select V Track 1

Go to "share" tab.

There I chose "pc"; then "avi" and I set it to "DV PAL, widescreen"

Set a filename and path and hit "save"

Right ?

When I do this I get an avi file that has the top-banner in it .. even when I play it with WMP or other.

I just noticed that the video (compared to the one I converted to flash and back to avi) seems zoomed out.  It has black border all around it.  Whereas the "flash"-avi doesn't.

• 10. Re: weird top banner flickering
                            nealeh Level 5

I'm on PE7 but it sounds about right. Share> PC> DV AVI. What happens if you export as "DV PL Standard?

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: weird top banner flickering
                              Philippe V8 Level 1

Hi,

I triend DV pal standard just now and it gives the exact same result.

I begin to suspect that it has to be something going wrong when importing the movies in PremEl.

Either way I noticed that when converting to FLV and then importing in PremEl, the quality doesn't drop at all ... so perhaps if all else fails, that could be my personal work around.

• 12. Re: weird top banner flickering
                                Letmethink Level 1

if your file playback fine in Window media player and you are getting an flicker only when you import in

Premiere Elements that it looks like import issue with file as this is not DV'AVI.

One thing you can do it export file as DV'AVI from WINDOW MOVIE MAKER (if playing fine there) and import it back again.

OR

Install some codec who can better handle captured file.