33 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 6:26 AM by pziecina

CS5 Release Date!

pziecina Level 6

Have just visited Amazon uk, and though I would do a search for Adobe CS5, and  found the release date for a number of books for CS5 to be around the middle of July. I am not saying that this date is 'factual' but for those interested it is a possible indicator.

For those wishing to view the page, see - http://www.amazon.co.uk/adobe-cs5-Books/s/qid=1268399924/ref=sr_pg_2?ie=UTF8&keywords=Adob e%20CS5&bbn=266239&rh=n%3A266239%2Cn%3A!1025612%2Ck%3AAdobe%20CS5&page=2.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 1. Re: CS5 Release Date!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... you would certainly THINK that someone writing a CS5 book would be part of the Beta team so they have a copy to use as the basis for the book

If the author & publisher say the book will be out in July, that would certainly SEEM to indicate CS5 will also be out

• 2. Re: CS5 Release Date!
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's exciting to think about but bear in mind that Amazon has a track record for putting wrong shipping dates on books linked to yet-to-be released software.

They've been wrong by 3-6 months in the past.

Having said that I'd like to think that CS5 may ship sometime around the rumoured date of April (but only Adobe knows for sure).

http://cs5.org/?p=518

• 3. Re: CS5 Release Date!

Bear in mind that the author has nothing to do with those dates.

• 4. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Although nothing definitive from the company yet, some  sources  look to a possible mid-spring release date for CS5. http://bit.ly/cRtRgi

• 5. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional

You know you could also speculate May for a release date because of the Lightroom 3 Beta expiring on April 30th likely leading to new camera raw updates which would update Photoshop.

So how long do you think a speculation thread like this will keep going before people start to catch on that nothing has been announced, who wants to speculate that date?

• 6. Re: CS5 Release Date!

LOL - good one, and good point...  Well at this point 'following the crumbs' and clues is the best we can do, so might as well have fun with it right?

• 7. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                      David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

pziecina wrote:

Have just visited Amazon uk, and though I would do a search for Adobe CS5, and  found the release date for a number of books for CS5 to be around the middle of July.

I'm rather surprised that Amazon.co.uk is listing CS5 books. Amazon.com is listing only one - and by a non-mainstream publisher. I imagine that if Adobe gets wind of this, the listings will be removed. Adobe puts all publishers under an embargo. No announcement of books until the product is officially announced.

I have no idea when CS5 will be either announced or released. In spite of what many people might think, authors don't get advance notice of the product's release date.

As for the rumours that others pointed to, one referred to a new product. At a guess, that could be either Flash Catalyst or ColdFusion Builder, both of which are in public beta. So, it might not indicate when CS5 is due out.

One thing is for sure. Adobe is trying to build up a viral campaign with its CSBuzz site. A group of Adobe evangelists is on a highly publicized "secret" world tour. Unless they let the secret out of the bag soon, a lot of people are going to get bored.

• 8. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                        pziecina Level 6

Hi

David Powers wrote -

I imagine that if Adobe gets wind of this, the listings will be removed.

I was a little surprised to see that Amazon.co.uk had any CS5 books listed, and this is why I posted the link here although as you say Adobe will probably have the listings removed.

A little 'speculation' on the subject is O/K, providing it does not harm anyone in any way. My personal opinion is that it would be better if Adobe published a list of  features it hoped to include in future versions anyway, and possibly asked for comments by registered users on the features, possibly in the same style that Microsoft has now implemented.

Yes, I know that features can be requested but without some feedback from Adobe, no one knows if others have also requested the feature or if it is even a consideration. We know that some will ask for features that should not be included in a 'general' web design/development program like Dreamweaver, (like integration of a particular framework) but feedback on requested, or possible new features from Adobe would be helpful.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 9. Re: CS5 Release Date!

Here's some more speculation to add to the fire.  I just came across this in my daily browsing:

http://blogs.adobe.com/designandweb/

Smart pasting, HTML5 & CSS3 support for DW.  Some really neat features.  Maybe they are hard at work on the next version and closer than we think.  Or maybe all these new features will push the release back another 8 months.

• 10. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                            pziecina Level 6

Hi SnakEyez02

First thank you for the link, the 'blog' will be worth watching

Personally I would prefer a late release date with the html 5, css3, canvas, better server side support, etc. included, than for Adobe to push an early but incomplete release out just to coincide with other CS5 releases.

PZ

• 11. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                              InteractionDesign Level 1

I would prefer an early release date and I don't think that it will be incomplete.

pziecina wrote:

Personally I would prefer a late release date with the html 5, css3, canvas, better server side support, etc. included, than for Adobe to push an early but incomplete release out just to coincide with other CS5 releases.

Be sure that these features won't be in cs-next. Paul & Lea wrote:

To be clear, we are giving you a very early view.  It won't be in the next version of CS.

http://blogs.adobe.com/designandweb/2010/03/design_web.html

• 12. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                mattsbennett Level 1

Furthering the bread crumb trail to the imminent release date and for those interested in all things CS5... Check out this post from the Adobe XD team covering the some of the design influences (including Otl Aicher inspired grid systems and pictograms) for CS5, including a revealing of the new application icon design.

• 13. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                  InteractionDesign Level 1

I want to throw some new buzz into this thread.

Just check out this:
                                  http://www.russellbrown.com/how2010/#info

He'll be using the newest Photoshop version. Why they don't say that he'll be using Photoshop CS4?

• 14. Re: CS5 Release Date!

Relevant followup news, just out!

Adobe CS5 Global Launch will be April 12th

• 15. Re: CS5 Release Date!

I almost thought that was a joke but it seems to be confirmed in multiple outlets.  Seemed odd after Adobe just released another beta of Lightroom 3 because I thought they would be working on that simultaneously with Photoshop and that beta 2 will be running through June now.  And Adobe has an official page for those interested:

http://cs5launch.adobe.com/

• 16. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                        pziecina Level 6

Hi Everyone

The link and the launch dates are not a joke, but I am uncertain if the date given is for the 'public' beta or an actual full version release. Although the release of the public beta would be my guess, as this would then coincide with the release dates given for books for the full version, (mid July), and explain the 'extension' to the lighroom V3 beta version.

PZ

• 17. Re: CS5 Release Date!

For CS5 on that date April 12th, I think it's safe to expect not a public beta, but rather the announcement of all the features plus the general availability of the full version (in English) within the following 1-2 months.  With any luck, it should work similarly to how it did with CS4, and CS3 before it.

Lightroom is on a different release schedule so I don't think it will coincide...  But the new beta for LR3 means we probably won't be seeing the final version of that for a bit, I'm guessing until once the CS5 dust settles.  On the plus side, this means more time to make a greater LR3 release!

• 18. Re: CS5 Release Date!

ProDesignTools wrote:

For CS5 on that date April 12th, I think it's safe to expect not a public beta, but rather the announcement of all the features plus the general availability of the full version (in English) within the following 1-2 months.  With any luck, it should work similarly to how it did with CS4, and CS3 before it.

Lightroom is on a different release schedule so I don't think it will coincide...  But the new beta for LR3 means we probably won't be seeing the final version of that for a bit, I'm guessing until once the CS5 dust settles.  On the plus side, this means more time to make a greater LR3 release!

I think I have to agree with you.  Typically when Adobe launches there is a brief upgrade period where people buying the current version get an upgrade.  I would suspect that day would be the start of that period.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Spry 1.7 update that was mentioned earlier in the month:  http://groups.adobe.com/posts/d690df2300

• 19. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                              Debora Pisani Level 1

I have the funny feeling it's going to be released on the 10/10/2010 or it might also be the 20/10/2010 .

CS1 10/2003 -- 18 months -- CS2  04/2005  -- 24 months -- CS3  04/2007 -- 18 months -- CS4  10/2008  -- 24 months -- CS5 10/10/2010

Looks consequent to me

• 20. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I have the funny feeling it's going to be released on the 10/10/2010 or it might also be the 20/10/2010

Unlikely.

Sales of CS4 are now effectively zero since we all know that CS5 will be announced on 12 April. Adobe would not announce the new release and wait 6 months to ship with no revenue from CS4.

Previous versions have shipped 4-6 weeks after launch. I expect something similar with CS5.

• 21. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                  Debora Pisani Level 1

True true! Hm... might be the 10-05-2010 then! Just thought it will be a memorable day... therefore i was after a mamorable date

If it was up to me... the sooner the better 

• 22. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                    mattsbennett Level 1

Anyone notice the launch countdown timer at http://cs5launch.adobe.com/ now reads 42 days (which would be May 12)??? I think someone messed up.

Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 5.40.05 PM.jpg

• 23. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                      mattsbennett Level 1

The countdown is fixed now...

• 24. Re: CS5 Release Date!

Today for planning purposes we completed an analysis on possible timeframes for availability of CS5 in different segments and geographies...

We had been reading all kinds of guesstimates, some theorizing as late as October, so thought we'd try to lend some clarity.  It's here if you might find it useful.

Adobe CS5 Launches April 12th: When Will it Ship?

• 25. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                          foyle3 Level 1

Frustrating - I decided a few days ago that I needed the latest ACRaw - I'm on the best update for CS2 at present - so I'm willing to buy right now and cannot have - obviously I'm not going to buy CS4 and have to pay for an upgrade in a fortnight.  It would have been much better for me to buy in this financial year (UK) which ends Tuesday

• 26. Re: CS5 Release Date!

How about this as a possibility?  You could download and install the trial for CS4 now which would run for 30 days free/fully-functional, by which point CS5 would arguably be close to being released and you would hopefully be in the "grace period" to buy CS4 (convert the trial) and get a free upgrade to CS5 when it ships.

This of course presumes that Adobe continues the grace period policy and you can get it.  Another possible benefit is you could move forward now with the more "mature" codebase of CS4 and then upgrade later to CS5 at your leisure.  Worst case is you have CS4 now within the financial year budgeting you want.

Anyway, just an idea!

• 27. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                              foyle3 Level 1

Tried that - seems I must have opened the CS4 trial for a test last year !

So I can't test it again - not that I remember actually activating it - the

trouble with timed trials is that when you are busy 30 days goes by in a

flash.  If Adobe published an actual "grace period" policy (I didn't know

there was such a possibility) I would know where I stood/stand,  Cheers

derek Simpson

• 28. Re: CS5 Release Date!

Hmm, OK, well if you've already installed the trial once and don't have another system, that could be trickier...

Adobe's "grace period" offer is not widely publicized but is officially called the "post-announce upgrade policy" and requires working directly with Adobe Customer Service.  http://bit.ly/9xYI9p

One thing I don't know is whether if you do a new download for a somewhat different product, if you can get a new trial on the same computer...  For example, if you trialed CS4 Design Standard last time, maybe you could still try out Design Premium and get a new 30 days?  It's a good question.

• 29. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                                  foyle3 Level 1

The reply from Adobe customer help re "post announce upgrade policy" is

lengthy and circuitous but boils down to the fact that "we have not

officially announced CS5 yet" so as it has not been announced I can only

deduce that PAUP does not apply - at the same time they are keen I should

sign up for the "launch event" (I already had) - so I will wait and see if a

"launch" amounts to an "announcement"  -  the chance of claiming purchase

against this year's tax passes me by,  Cheers Derek Simpson

• 30. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                                    foyle3 Level 1

Did manage to get a trial of CS4 on to the laptop - a lot to like about the

raw converter - but hit a snag with backward compatability - jpgs created

from Raw on the laptop could not be put through my regular "press in a

hurry" actions in CS2 on the desktop - had to manually resize etcetc.   1 am

is not the time to discover this.  Raises an issue in my head about what

happens when we have a decade's worth of back catalogue and have moved on

another x versions.  Precisely Adobe's argument for DNG of course - but how

many are actually DNGing ?  I'm updating largely because I want my colour

profiles to read without going round the DNG ringroad.   Cheers Derek

Simpson

• 31. Re: CS5 Release Date!

If you are processing lots of images through the RAW plugin have you considered trying Lightroom?  One of the main reasons the RC of the plugin was released for Photoshop was because the 5.7 RAW plugin has been in the Lightroom open beta which is still free for another couple months.  One of the main bullet points was because there are many people using Lightroom 3 beta and they were trying to bring images back to Photoshop CS4 and were having some issues moving from a newer plugin to an older one.

• 32. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                                        foyle3 Level 1

Thanks for the thought but I have tried Lightroom a couple of times (inc

recent Beta 3 )  and dislike it intensely.  I use Photo mechanic for ingest

and edit and find both bridge and library intolerably slow in comparison.  I

like the raw features from Lightroom now offered in Photoshop - was very

angry at Adobe developing a whole new product after thousands spent in

purchase and upgrades of p/shop - what I see in CS4 is very good and I shall

be into CS5 as long as there is no negative feedback in the first couple of

weeks.   Compatability may be a problem for a few weeks but as long as I

know there is a problem I can plan for it -- I shot some sport raw the other

night and converted in CS5 on the laptop - the trouble only surfaced two

steps later when I hit my size/contrast/sharpen action on the desktop (CS2)

for press submissions.  Need I say that the submission was soon severely

edited before manually ploughing through the steps,  Cheers derek Simpson

• 33. Re: CS5 Release Date!
                                                                          pziecina Level 6

Hi

As this thread is still showing on the first page of goggle for "CS5 Release date", I though I would close the thread by providing a link to the download, which is - http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/?promoid=BPDEC.

A review of the new features can be seen on video here - http://tv.adobe.com/#.

Or read David Powers review here - http://foundationphp.com/blog/2010/04/12/dreamweaver-cs5-is-good-news-for-php-devs/.

For those hoping for 'new server behaviours', sorry there are none, and with regard to the current server behaviours, I must agree with David here in that they should only be used for 'prototyping' and not for live sites. Hopefully David's forthcoming book on using Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP will explain why this is so too the users who are uncertain on why I say this. Although I am an experienced Dreamweaver user I look forward to reading the book myself as I am certain it will include a number of useful tips, if you are interested you can read a list of what is to be included in the book, here - http://foundationphp.com/phpcs5/.

PZ

www.pziecina.com