5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 7:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?

andrewmpalmer2003

Hi,

I know the basis principles from other programs, but never used adobe premeire :- elements/photoshop, and just purchased the duel package.

I would like to start from scratch and learm properly.  I've tried magazines and they all seem to be photoshop based which I do want to learn, but want to start with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 first.

Is there a magazine, which deals with the basics first then builds up to intermediate/advanced?

Or the same as a DVD?

Or should I just hit PC World and look at the array of books?, which again, most seem to photoshop based.

I've look at podcasts, and found a couple, but they are short and only cover a subject or two.

Any help / links would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Andrew

• 1. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, at the risk of sounding like I'm pounding my own drums, I've sort of spent the last five years laboring on this forum (with over 5,000 posts!), writing books and even creating my own web site to help people get up on running!   I'd recommend you check some of it out.

Http://Muvipix.com is a site dedicated to helping people get up and running with the program. There's a gathering of probably the world's most knowledgeable and helpful people on the Community forum -- and you'll find lots of free tips, tutorials, royalty-free music and stock footage and motion backgrounds there -- even more (like over 1000) if you subscribe to the site. I've created a free set of tutorials called Basic Training with Premiere Elements that should definitely get up and running with the basics. There's an intermediate series of 10 more tutorials that you can access if you subcribe to the site, plus dozens more on specific subjects.

I've also written a number of books on both Premiere Elements and on the Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements combo. They're available on Amazon.com and through the Muvipix.com store.

Check out those reviews on Amazon!

• 2. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

I will strongly second both Steve's books and his Learning Series from Muvipix. I rely on those weekly.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Steve, now I see why the avatar was different this AM - the forum was waiting to process the new one. Now, I just have to get used to the new "look."

• 3. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?
              nealeh Level 5

PS - Steve, now I see why the avatar was different this AM - the forum was waiting to process the new one.

But it didn't need the temporary 'standard' avatar: 

Could the forum allow two custom avatars?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?
                andrewmpalmer2003 Level 1

Gentlemen,

Many Thanks for your kind and quick response. I will obviuously check out your recomendations,

Can you recommend any books / mags. I may purchase somethings for some hard back reference - Sorry just seen recommendation for books.

Just in case anyone is interested I, i'm a keen member of a forum to do with my profession, its a free forum, feel free to take a peek, if its of interest -

www.fireservice.co.uk/forum.

Thank you again.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Adobe Premeire Elements 8 beginner - DVD, Book, Magazine help?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with you, on wanting reference books. Tutorials and online articles are nice, but I like to have the library stocked, so I can grab them easily, while the monitor is full of editing programs, etc. Now, I come from an older time, before the Internet, so books were what I grew up with.

I have heard good things about the Missing Manual series too. I've actually gifted a few copies of these, when I gave one of the Adobe programs to friends. However, I have to admit that I have never even unwrapped these. I have many of Steve's books, and will include copies of those in the next gift.

Not run across any magazines that feature PrE, as an editing tool. Very few actually spend much time on PrPro. It seems that AVID and FCP (Mac) get most of the magazine coverage. I also do not read any "consumer" video mags, so probably miss some good ones.

Good luck, and if you find some other materials that impress you, please update this thread, as those recs. might well help someone else in the future.

Hunt