9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 7:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4

rico1931

Hello folks,

I made a nice looking title in a previous project. Now I have a new project and was wondering if there was a way to "import" the previous title to my new project. I can't find it in the folder containing my previous project. Is there a trick to do this or am I just blind?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

After you have created a Title, that you will wish to reuse, Save it as a Template. This will then allow it to be used over and over. You will access these through Title>New Title>Based on Template, and there you just choose your personal location under User Template. You can then edit it to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] With your soon to be Title Template open, go to Title>Based on Template, and from that dialog box, look for the little circle with an arrowhead. That will get you to Save_As_Template. Sorry that I did not go into detail on that step.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 2. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Titles are stored in the project file, not in separate files as in previous versions. You must save a specific title as a template for it to be accessible in other projects.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do not want to make a template import the old project into the new project.

Select the title and chuck the rest out.

• 4. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. That will work too. As Harm points out, the PRTL files (Titles) are now inside of the Project file (PRPROJ). I use the Template method, as I find it easier - unless I have forgotten to do it!

I've probably got 50 personal Templates, and use several of these quite often, doing the individual editing, as needed. Even my general fill-screen Text Block starts from a Template, as I have all of the attributes from font to leading setup. All I have to do is Select the Text Block and type in my new text.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                  rico1931 Level 1

Thanks everyone! I used the template way since my project has soooo much stuff in it..

• 6. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I find it a great way to go, and only a few clicks. Initially, finding the exact workflow takes some poking, so that's why I did my [Edit]. The only thing that I would ask Adobe for would be a "one-button" Save_As_Template, and the ability to edit .PRTL files in Photoshop - right now, only PrPro and PrE can do anything with a PRTL file. Full editability in PS would be helpful for me. I have filed several Feature Requests for this, but it is either difficult to implement in PS, or maybe I am the only user to ever request it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                      westonwoodbury Level 1

Photoshop edit title filetypes would be pretty cool, or I wonder if it could just be .psd based like the menus are in Encore.  That seems like it would be most powerful; it sure can work wonders for menus, esp. in tandem with the After Effects link.

Anyway I believe you can copy your title either out of the bin (or if that doesn't work, for sure out of the timeline) and paste them into another project, too.  Templates saves the style, but not what's typed?

• 8. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                        joe bloe premiere Level 5

An alternative for saving individual titles without using the template route:

With the title file selected in the project panel, use File/Export/Title.  This method saves the entire setup, including what is typed.

• 9. Re: Reuse Titles in more than one project -CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do a lot of Title creation in PS and just Save_As .PSD for Import into PrPro. The only drawback is that these are not directly editable within the Titler, like a PrPro-created Title. Still, I first start in Word/WordPerfect to get my Spellcheck, and then Copy/Paste into a Text Layer (or Layers) in PS, and build my Titles there, often using either PS Shapes, or AI artwork.

All of my Menus for Encore come from PS, and like the Title Templates in PrPro, I have created many custom Menus and Menu Templates (.EM files) for Encore. At least those can be edited in PS, as they are .PSD's.

Hunt