5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 9:14 AM by DRC_40

Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."

matlock0009 Level 1

I recently updated my OS from Windows Vista (32-Bit) to Windows 7 (64-Bit).  When working with PE8 in Windows Vista, I would receive the following error (signified by a red X in the lower left hand corner of the screen) whenever opening an existing project or creating a new one "Display Performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver!"  To my consternation, I'm getting the same message after updating my OS with a CLEAN INSTALL of Window 7 64-bit.  I have the latest, stable Nvidia card driver 196.21 and have installed the latest patch from Adobe 8.0.1.  I'm interested to see if anyone is having this reoccurring GPU-incompatibility problem after installing the new patch.

Any solutions that don't involve simply turning off GPU playback are much appreciated.

As this is not a "workflow" problem I don't see the need in displaying an exhaustive list of all of my Computer assets.  However, here are the basics.:

Computer: HP Pavillion M9150f

Processor: Intel Quad-Core Q6600 2.4 GHZ

Ram: 8 GB

Video Card: Nvidia GTS 250 1gb Ram, Latest WQHL Nvidia Driver 196.21

I have no other Video-Editing software installed, not even windows movie maker.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."
          nealeh Level 5

matlock0009 wrote:

Any solutions that don't involve simply turning off GPU playback are much appreciated.

If turning off GPU fixes the problem why wouldn't you do so?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."
            matlock0009 Level 1

I'm trying to refrain from sounding nitpicky, but if the problem is that PRE8 is not working with my GPU to help render the timeline, then disabling that feature altogether is not really fixing the problem.  PRE8 can be really taxing on a computer, and as such, I want to have all of my hardware components on deck to handle the workload.  Without GPU rendering, everything takes longer.  Like others on this forum who have commented about the GPU-Interoperability problems with PRE8, I expected a little more utilization of my GPU with this product both initially upon purchase and after the last patch update.

• 3. Re: Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."
              DRC_40

Your problem is shared by many Matlock and like you, I do not accept having to disable a feature that should be usable with this program. Anyone who justifies that as a fix is drinking the koolaid. You have the toxic combination of a multi core processor and Nvidia 9 series card. Your 250 is identical to the 9 series and I havent seen a single poster claim they can run this combination without disabling GPU playback. My hope is that Adobe is working on a fix for this.

However, I dont find this work around mission critical. If you keep a lean machine the program still works (albeit with some crashes here and there) even though you probably dont get the performance of those who enable the GPU feature. I have accepted this glitch because I like the software and workflow. That doesnt mean Adobe should just let it go because its clearly something in their code causing it. Quite frankly I dont think they know how to fix it. If they do know I suspect it is a major re-write or it would have been included in the patch. Adobe's silence on the issue leads one to believe they simply cant fix it.

• 4. Re: Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Adobe's silence on the issue leads one to believe they simply cant fix it.

That could well be a reason. However, if history is any indicator, Adobe is always tight-lipped about any plans, or works in progress, until they are ready for "prime time." Recently, a lot of podcasts and blog-spot pieces began appearing on changes in PrPro CS5. Many of these are directly related to GPU acceleration with certain nVidia cards, and a totally new render engine, Mercury. Still, other than some observations from select personnel, and a few demo videos, the complete details have not come forth. Also, there has been caution that Mercury might NOT make it into CS5. Only time will tell. So silence is not new from Adobe, and there could be various reasons for it, from re-coding being an impossible task to the patch/fix not being quite ready for release. PrPro CS4 got three significant updates, plus updates to Encore and AME. It was only about one week before those releases, that a single word hit the fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

HERE was the "sneak peak" on Mercury.

HERE is a thread on nVidia support for it.

• 5. Re: Still getting Display Error in PE8: "Display performance will be poor due to Incorrectly..."
                  DRC_40 Level 1

BIll,

I hope you are right but Adobe doesnt even acknowledge there is a problem with users running the hardware combination that proves toxic to the GPU feature even though their specs say its supported. They just suggest disabling it which could never be considered a proper "fix". I would love to be using my GPU to dump off some system load but it is what it is. We'll see what happens but like I said, I am going to stick with the product and give them a chance. Its still a good consumer grade product and I am generally happy with it at this point. After I started from scratch the performance has increased despite the occasional crash. I dont think one should have to be reformatting to get acceptable performance levels but I wont blame that on Adobe, I will blame it on my old system state and move forward.