5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 12:04 PM by the_wine_snob

blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray

bcrow123

Dell  i7 2.6ghz, windows 7 home 64 bit, ,8g ram, ati 4870 hd, pioneer bdr 205 burner.

Created 58 minute program, simple menues and dissolves, click on burn disc (either dvd or blu-ray) encodes media, gets through 2nd spasss and just before the burn actually begins, computer blu screens.  Media is unharmed, project restores fine.

I can burn to file and then burn a dvd, but there is no option to burn to file for a blu-ray disc.

Anybody else having these problems or figured out work-arounds?

Thanks

• 1. Re: blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is a very bad sign. Something is wrong in the OS, or with the system.

First thing that I would check into is what is going on in the system, both with the OS and with the applications. This ARTICLE will help you find clues.

Along the way, I'd look for tips in this ARTICLE on setting up the computer for an editing session.

Now, a very likely cause of a BSOD with a long Transcode/Burn is heat build up. These operations are very intense. The free utility, SpeedFan, will help you monitor your heat from every sensor in the case. I use it all the time.

Another likely culprit is the powersupply. It gets stressed during such operations. Are the rails allocated properly and do they produce the necessary voltage to all rails?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE links to several FAQ entries in the PrPro-Wiki. Almost all will relate directly to PrE, as well. There are links to some useful utilities there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the Burn to Folder for a BD, Neale has posted links to articles on using a utility, Phantom Drive (IIRC), which will fool PrE into believing that one is burning to a BD, when it is doing so to a folder.

Still, with the BSOD, I think that you have more serious issues to address first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray
                nealeh Level 5

I hadn't heard of Phantom Drive until it was mentioned on these forums. The one I was familiar with is 'Virtual CD' (don't be fooled by the name - it's a virtual BR / DVD / CD burner). Both are commercial software and so add additional cost. It seemed to me that Virtual CD was the more powerful - but it comes with a steeper learning curve.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: blu screen while burning dvd/blu-ray
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for the clarification. My memory has been acting up lately - maybe I need to replace a few RAM sticks? Also, seeing Steve G's avatar change so many times in one day, probably did something to my gray-matter (or grey-matter, depending on which side of the Pond, one is on).

I've used neither utility, so am unfamiliar with either, except for references here, and on Muvipix.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt