5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 5:31 PM by tzeng

AIR File is damaged

fertolg

Hello,

It's incredible that so many people have this problem in different circumstances and operating systems and there is no definite answer to this problem.

I get the classic message: "Sorry, an error has occured. The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author."

I am the applicatoin author, and I've exported so many different tests versions. I put the .air installer in a thumb drive and tried to install it on 4 different computers, 3 of them running Windows 7 and 1 running Mac OS 10.6.2 and it only fails on one of the windows computers. It ALWAYS fails, no matter how many different versions I try to install.

Searching for the error message in Google returns LOADS of people with this problem, not a single one with a definite answer or a procedure. I've tried the following:

- Uninstalling AIR completely and installing it again.

- Moving the .air installer to the system hard drive, to Program Files > Adobe (which was one of the "solutions")

- Installing AIR with administrator privileges, on compatibility mode (every single option)

- Installing my .air file by right clicking and open with Adobe Air on the version 1.0 folder (like TweetDeck suggestion: http://support.tweetdeck.com/forums/63876/entries/91753 )

- Re-exporting my .air file with a brand new self-sifgned certificate

- Restarting my computer a thousand times.

Really the only thing I am left to do is restore my computer to factory settings, and I don't even want to try because I have the feeling that it's not going to work. Do you guys have any clue WHY this would happen? Clearly my .air installer is not broken as it installs in almost every other computer.

I can share my application if that helps. Thank you on any insight on this. Rather than contribuing to the endless posts of people with this problem I tried to outline and gather all the most popular "solutions" with hopes that someone tackles this definitely.

Thank you,

Fernando Toledo

• 1. Re: AIR File is damaged
          fertolg Level 1

I am posting the log files for the failed Win installation, the Win successful installation as well as the Mac succesful installation.

Windows failed:

Starting app install of file:///C:/Users/ec/Desktop/DigitalWhiteBoard.air
          UI SWF load is complete
          UI initialized
          Unpackaging to C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\flaD90F.tmp
          failed while unpackaging: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="invalid package signature" errorID=5022]
          starting cleanup of temporary files
          application installer exiting

Windows success:

Starting app install of file:///C:/Users/ec/Desktop/DigitalWhiteBoard.air
          UI SWF load is complete
          UI initialized
          Unpackaging to C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\flaF56F.tmp
          unpackaging is complete
          application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
          application is bound to this version of the runtime
          app id com.elasticcreative.DigitalWhiteBoard
          pub id 27998C756A8D67BC6591652E0D9AEB96CB6495CF.1
          Application not located
          Waiting for user confirmation
          User confirmed action: install
          creating native installer in: C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\fla39.tmp
          native installer creation complete
          Starting install
          Destination for installed application is C:\Program Files (x86)
          stateInstalling: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception Error: Directory can't be written to" errorID=5006]
          stateInstallingWithElevation: enter install
          stateInstallingWithElevation: c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR Application Installer -runtime "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files" -silent -logToStdout -url -location "C:\Program Files (x86)" -desktopShortcut -programMenu file:///C:/Users/ec/Desktop/DigitalWhiteBoard.air
          subinstaller: Starting silent app install of file:///C:/Users/ec/Desktop/DigitalWhiteBoard.air
          subinstaller: UI SWF load is complete
          subinstaller: UI initialized
          subinstaller: Unpackaging to C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\flaBCC.tmp
          subinstaller: unpackaging is complete
          subinstaller: application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
          subinstaller: application is bound to this version of the runtime
          subinstaller: app id com.elasticcreative.DigitalWhiteBoard
          subinstaller: pub id 27998C756A8D67BC6591652E0D9AEB96CB6495CF.1
          subinstaller: Application not located
          subinstaller: creating native installer in: C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\flaD24.tmp
          subinstaller: native installer creation complete
          subinstaller: Starting install
          subinstaller: Destination for installed application is C:\Program Files (x86)
          subinstaller: Beginning install
          subinstaller: Installing C:\Users\ec\AppData\Local\Temp\flaD24.tmp\setup.msi
          subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
          subinstaller: Commit complete
          subinstaller: starting cleanup of temporary files
          subinstaller: application installer exiting
          received unknown message type from subinstaller: done
          Re-launching application from C:\Program Files (x86)\DigitalWhiteboard\DigitalWhiteboard.exe

Mac Success:

Starting app install of file:///Volumes/KINGSTON/DigitalWhiteBoard.air
          UI SWF load is complete
          UI initialized
          Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/SI/SI7uFDQoHVCuzXt4w8Wyyk+++TM/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2
          unpackaging is complete
          application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
          application is bound to this version of the runtime
          app id com.elasticcreative.DigitalWhiteBoard
          pub id 27998C756A8D67BC6591652E0D9AEB96CB6495CF.1
          Application not located
          Waiting for user confirmation
          User confirmed action: install
          creating native installer in: /private/var/folders/SI/SI7uFDQoHVCuzXt4w8Wyyk+++TM/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp3
          native installer creation complete
          Starting install
          Destination for installed application is /Applications
          Beginning install
          Copying /private/var/folders/SI/SI7uFDQoHVCuzXt4w8Wyyk+++TM/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp3/Template to /Applications/DigitalWhiteboard.app
          Execution complete; beginning commit phase
          Commit complete
          Re-launching application from /Applications/DigitalWhiteboard.app

• 2. Re: AIR File is damaged
            tzeng Adobe Employee

Thanks for posting the install log.

How you generate your AIR file? Flex Builder? ADT? Have you timestamped the AIR file when packaging it?

This is by default. If you don't turn Timestamp off, the AIR file is timestamped.

• 3. Re: AIR File is damaged
              fertolg Level 1

Hey tzeng,

I should've noted tha I am generating my .air file from Flash CS4 before, sorry about that. I had timestamped the AIR file everytime before but I just tried exporting a version without it and it fails installing too.

I believe it's that system, something deep down is corrupted because I tried installing TweetDeck for example and it displays the exact same error: "invalid package signature".

Is there a way to uninstall AIR completely, cleaning the files in the registrar? Install/Uninstall programs on the control panel doesn't do the trick.

• 4. Re: AIR File is damaged
                fertolg Level 1

Wow.

I don't know how much time I searched the internet. But the problem relies on the date of the OS. It was set to 2002.

My issue has been resolved. The installer was trying to read a certificate from the future.

Thanks,

Fernando

• 5. Re: AIR File is damaged
                  tzeng Adobe Employee

Thanks for letting us know.