8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 3:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Lagging problems

bharpo2@aol.com

I am having lag issues when playing video in my premiere files. I know that when I edit things in a lower resolution I do not get any lag. However the video is of full hd resolution. I've been told that lowering those settings will not affect the resolution when exporting to a higher resolution, is that true? If so, how do I change the setting of a project already started?

• 1. Re: Lagging problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I've been told that lowering those settings will not affect the resolution when exporting to a higher resolution, is that true?

Not sure what you are referring to here. Do you mean proxy-editing with low-rez Assets to be later replaced by high-rez Assets, like in this ARTICLE?

Also, can you provide more info on your Assets, your Project Preset and your computer. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the types of info, that will be useful.

Last, one cannot alter a Project Preset, once it has been established. A New Project will need to be created.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Lagging problems
            bharpo2@aol.com Level 1

Giving information about computers on these forums only leads people to critcize the machine and that has nothing to do with my problem.

Here's the question again:

If I start with lower preset resolution setting and export to higher resolution will that affect the quality?

i.e. will my high quality files end up high quality if i do that?

2. Can I can the preset for the video quality once a project has already been created?

i.e. I have started a premiere elements file already. Can I change the resolution settings on that file?

• 3. Re: Lagging problems
              nealeh Level 5

Do you still get the lag if you burn a DVD and play it on a real DVD player?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Lagging problems
                bharpo2@aol.com Level 1

no i don't but I hope that someone will answer whether or not I can edit in a lower resolution and export

to a higher resolution without affecting the quality

• 5. Re: Lagging problems
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What you are describing is, I believe, proxy editing. And, no, that is not a feature of Premiere Elements.

If your end product is a DVD, however, there is no reason to keep your video in its native hi-def, since it will ultimately be standard DV anyway.

Have you considered converting your video to standard DV? (I'm assuming you're trying to edit hi-def or AVCHD video, although you don't say.)

• 6. Re: Lagging problems
                    bharpo2@aol.com Level 1

Can I change the video setting in a project that has already been started?

Ignore the part about raising the resolution at the end. Can i change the video setting on a premiere elements file?

• 7. Re: Lagging problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Can I change the video setting in a project that has already been started?

As has been stated above - no. You must start a new Project.

Last, one cannot alter a Project Preset, once it has been established. A New Project will need to be created.

From Reply #1

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Lagging problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Giving information about computers on these forums only leads people to critcize the machine and that has nothing to do with my problem.

Well, if I had lagging playback, or editing, the first thing that I would look at would be my computer, and next the Assets used, plus what the Project Presets were. However, I never have such problems, so cannot offer any suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt