28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 will not restart

alanst2 Level 1

I have a regular problem with PE8, on two different PCs. One machine is running Vista Home Premium 64-bit (4Gb RAM) and the other is running Windows 7 64-bit (3Gb RAM).

If I use PE8 and then shut it down, more often than not it will not restart. It gets as far as the screen which offers New Project/Open Project/Organizer but will go no further. The only way out of the situation is to Restart the PC. A bit of digging around led me to the traditional Ctrl/Alt/Delete and then Task Manager/Services. There I find that Either PE8 or Auto-analyzer are still running and using large amounts of CPU time, even though the program has been shut down. 'End Process' clears the failed re-start of PE8 and off we go!

It seems odd that different machines with different OSs are behaving the same. So, is anyone else seeing similar bahaviour? If so, am I missing something?

BTW, I am up to date with v 8.0.1.

Thanks for your time.

Alan S.

• 1. Re: PE8 will not restart
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

First, have you updated to PrE 8.0.1?

Next, have you looked at this FAQ Entry? It is likely that you still have running PrE 8 Processes.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 will not restart
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan S

For me the shutdown issues with Premiere Elements 8 have essentially been resolved with the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch). And, startup of Premiere Elements 8.0.1 is quite a speeded up process now.

Nonetheless, if you are not already, I would suggest that you work routinely with Background Render and AutoAnalyzer disabled. To disable Background Rendering, please go to the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 workspace Edit Menu/Preference/General. To disable AutoAnalyzer, from the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 workspace go to the Elements Organizer (click on Organizer tab in the row below the Organize (Blue) tab). In the Elements Organizer workspace go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer options. To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace, in the Elements Organizer go to File Menu/Exit. If and when you need these functions go to the "on demand" counterparts:

Background Rendering: pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard

AutoAnalyzer: right click thumbnail in Organizer and select Run AutoAnalyzer.

Also evaluate your computer in terms of other resources demands on a system that may not have enough resources for the size of the project or the video format being edited.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE8 will not restart
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of ATR's comments, this ARTICLE might be useful for eliminating any unnecessary programs, and Processes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE8 will not restart
                alanst2 Level 1

Very many thanks for your thoughts, folks.

For the record:

I have Auto-Analyzer turned off

I have background Rendering turned off

I am up to date, with PrE 8.0.1 installed

For the time being, I'm happy to use PE8 Runner, thanks for that suggestion, but it seems odd that PrE8 leaves bits behind.

Thanks gain for your time. I'll go through the other suggestions today.

Alan S

• 5. Re: PE8 will not restart
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

I cannot verify that this is what is happening with PrE 8, but with PrPro there are cleanup Processes, that run after shutdown. When an NLE is working, there are many temp files created - the working files. When one shuts down, a cleanup utility goes and wipes these files out, basically doing housekeeping. I can see these in Task Manager, and depending on the size of the Project, might take 1 min. to compete. Then, they shut down.

Since I am not a programmer, I cannot say with certainty that this is what you are seeing (and maybe PrE 8 takes longer than my PrPro?), but you might want to open Task Manager, click on CPU usage twice to get the higher users to the top, and see what is running, and check for how long it takes to complete their tasks. Usually, "Adobe" will appear in the Process/program name.

Good luck, and I hope that this is what you are seeing.

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE8 will not restart
                    alanst2 Level 1

I think you've hit the nail, Bill.

I hadn't considered that possibility. Now I'm trying to catch it and see it finish the clean-up.

Thanks very much for your time. Now I know what's going on I can accept the wait!

Many thanks.

Alan S.

• 7. Re: PE8 will not restart
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

I am hoping that this is what you are seeing. Also, the cleanup time might differ, depending on what you have done. If you have burned a DVD, then there are probably more files to verify and cleanup after.

Good luck, and please report what you observe,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE8 will not restart (update)
                        alanst2 Level 1

Greetings Bill.

Just an update on what I am seeing in 'Services'. I thought you were right about file clean-ups happening after closing down PrE8. However (isn't there always a 'however'?), I caught it doing its thing and waited, and waited! After an hour, I was convinced that it wasn't just cleaning up files.

Oddly, it doesn't always carry on like this. On some occasions it closes down normally. I haven't yet found a pattern which follows certain actions within PrE8. I'll keep an eye, and report back.

Thanks again for your time and expertise. I learn a lot from reading other threads.

Alan

• 9. Re: PE8 will not restart (update)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that the "cleanup" was not the issue.

As I do not have PrE 8, I cannot even check things out in the Task Manager to see if I can tell what process might still be running.

To re-cap, you have turned off Background Rendering, Auto-Analyze, etc.. Is that correct?

Good luck, and please do report. Inquiring minds [SIC] want to know...

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE8 will not restart (update)
                            alanst2 Level 1

To confirm:

Auto-Analyze = off

Background rendering = off

Updated to PrE 8.0.1

I'll report back as soon as I have 'eidence'.

Alan

• 11. Re: PE8 will not restart
                              VDOSurfer Level 3

Is the display adapter on your system nVidia by any chance? B'coz nVidia released a driver version that solves "Premiere Elements 8 running on the background even after closing" issue.

To check the display adapter, check in the device manager -> display

Also check the version and let us know...

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                alanst2 Level 1

Interesting!

My desktop, running Vista HP:

NVIDIA GeForce GT220 (Driver 7.15.11.8576)

My Laptop, running W7:

NVIDIA GeForce G210M (Driver 8.15.11.8652)

Both machines are 64-bit and suffer similarly.

Is the update driver specifically for this problem? I'll go and look around.

Thanks for the info.

Alan

• 13. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                  alanst2 Level 1

Further to the above,

I looked at the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest driver for the Desktop. Will install that this afternoon.

However, for the laptop, the site warns that it is best to download drivers from the laptop manufacturers website, otherwise there can be problems. In this case Packard Bell. Their (PB's) latest driver is the one installed! What problems am I likely to have by using the latest driver from the NVIDIA website?

Thanks again.

Alan

• 14. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Unfortunately, many laptop mfgrs. use proprietary video drivers. Also unfortunately, these companies do not update them nearly often enough. This SITE might be helpful in getting a later nVidia video driver "primed" for your Packard-Bell. I used to use it monthly, when I had a Toshiba laptop. Over 4 years, Toshiba never issued one video driver update...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Latest ones available for your desktop are here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html

For your laptop

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_x64_195.62_whql.html

Try these.. They are the latest..

• 16. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                        nealeh Level 5

alanst2 wrote:

for the laptop, the site warns that it is best to download drivers from the laptop manufacturers website, otherwise there can be problems.

Drivers on both your desktop and notebook were old (18x series). The desktop download should certainly improve stability.

For the laptop you should create a system restore point first and then install the driver update. When checking for the latest version ensure you select the 'M' version - for notebooks. If anything goes wrong with the generic driver you can then rollback to your restore point.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                          VDOSurfer Level 3

The one I sent the link for is versioned 195.62

The post below has the nVidia fix details that was very helpful for many some-time back.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2466286#2466286

The version number in this "announcement" is 195.81. And the one I sent now is 195.62... Don't go by the version number alone.. 195.81 was Beta (as nVidia claimed) and so the version numbering follows a different rule.

So for all practical purposes, 195.62 IS the latest.

Hoping 195.62 is truly '>' 195.81

Latest ones mostly incorporate the fixes from the previous versions.

• 18. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                            alanst2 Level 1

I really appreciate the time you all give.

But - I upgraded the laptop, using your link, now 8.17.11.9562, and nothing has changed. At least nothing is worse so it was worth doing. I'm still seeing PrE8 running in the background after I shut it down.

I upgraded the desktop also. In that case the results were less good. The display driver kept crashing and recovering. I didn't get as far as checking the PrE problem before rolling back to my created restore point.

My quest continues.

Is it a 64-bit/PrE8 conflict. I say this because the Processes listing specifically refers to "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe *32"..

Cheers

Alan

• 19. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                              alanst2 Level 1

I finally got 196.21 to install on the desktop and it looks like the problem with PrE8 has gone away. This is a tentative answer as I've only briefly worked the program this evening!

The laptop, running W7/64-bit hasn't improved with the driver update.

Thanks again to all of you. We're getting there - until I find something else wrong!

Cheers guys.

Alan.

• 20. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                nealeh Level 5

For your desktop you should install v196.21 WHQL. Just seen that you have already done that.

All versions of PRE are 32-bit applications. I run PRE7 on Windows 7 64-bit without any problems.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                  alanst2 Level 1

Thanks, nealeh. As you observed, I'm now running with 196.21 installed. The problem 'aappears' to have been gripped, at least on the desktop PC. I now need to work it hard to confirm.

I now need to sort out the laptop. I installed the latest driver there but no change.

As I said last night, "we're getting there"!

Alan.

• 22. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                    nealeh Level 5

I first came to this forum because of the Nvidia driver bug: Re: Edit Workspace ->Transitions causes instant exit

As you will see, in my case, reverting to an EARLIER driver cured my issue (albeit with PRE7). You could try downgrading to 185.85M or even 179.48M to see if that helps.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Just to support what Neale says, a lower version of driver does not necessarily mean a poorer one..The older version could just be to take care of a fix (what we as users would be interested in) while ignoring the other aspects.

A developer myself, I can assure you that not ALL features would be better in ALL the higher versions. Some features could be targeted and improved, while some others would just be allowed to suffer in later versions.. Not ideal, but a fact.

• 24. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

VDOSurfer,

This is almost exactly what happened with a slew of nVidia drivers. About the time that Adobe and nVidia announced that they were teaming up for some major improvements in GPU acceleration and some major speed increases in MPEG-2 HD and H.264 Exporting, nVidia released a couple of new drivers. As most of the development in video cards and drivers, is fueled by the extreme gaming community, these new drivers had some advanced gaming-only features installed and turned ON by default. Well, these neat gaming-only features killed things for most Adobe programs. Several versions of these drivers followed, with no relief for Adobe-users in site. The trick was to roll-back to previous versions. When the cause of the problems was discovered, then users could install the newer drivers, but disable those features. Now, I think that nVidia has changed things around, and at least install the drivers with those features turned OFF, or maybe they rewrote those features to work with Adobe programs?

Newer is not always better. I keep my video drivers at a "known good" state, until a Windows update, or hot-fix, breaks them. I also keep several older drivers in storage, in case I do need to roll-back. I do the same for program updates. I've been burned by updates and new drivers, so like to keep an archive handy - just in case.

Thanks for the comments,

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                          alanst2 Level 1

Hey gents, in the thread "Can't open PRE" csgaraglino has come up with a solution which seems to have done the trick for the laptop. It now closes PrE8 correctly. Herer's what he (I'm assuming) says:

----------------------

The Solution:
                                                          In my nVidia Advance Settings
                                                          Under 3D Settings
                                                          In Manage 3D Settings
                                                          On the Global Settings Tab
                                                          I had to turn OFF the Threaded Optimization (was set to AUTO)

---------------------

I don't play any games, except occasional Solitaire, so hope there will be no side effects.

Thank you again to everyone who contributed their thoughts.

You are all worth your weight in gold!

Alan

• 26. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Great news and thanks for reporting both your success and the setting that worked for you.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 27. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I have been very busy and have not had time to help on this one. But I have been following the emails when a new contribution is made to this thread. I was typically on my way over to put in some thoughts, but never quite made it. Great job by all.

The latest post was very interesting in that the video card Thread Optimization consideration appears to have solved at least 2 user issues. But what struck me was Thread Optimization fix was one of the home remedies before the coming of the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch). In the pre-8.0.1 days I could never use that fix because my NVIDIA card did not have that feature.

I think one lesson learned was do not give up the home remedies. Use the new and old. My Premiere Elements 8 never crashed, but its performance was below par in everyday operation. I typically blamed that on my low computer resources. And, the program opened OK, but labored at closing and often needed a "nudge". All that was cleared up with that 8.0.1 Update so I was surprised to learn of others who did not experience the same type of improvement. Now I am using Premiere Elements 8.0.1 as the first choice and my Premiere Elements 7 and 4 are in the bullpen as relievers.

ATR

• 28. Re: PE8 will not restart
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You have been greatly missed. Thanks for dropping by!

I do agree about those "home remedies." Many just work.

Thanks for the report and take care. Do not be such a stranger in these parts.

Hunt