10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 6:42 PM by pixlor

How to make text wrap like this

smokingpanda

Hello all.

I am working with text, and want to have a similar effect to that in the picture.  What I mean by this is that I really like the columns, and how it indents when it needs to and the text still remains aligned across the columns.

Any ideas on how to do this?  Thank you

PeriodicTable.jpg

• 1. Re: How to make text wrap like this
          pixlor Level 4

What kind of output are you expecting to make?

If you're planning on making a Web page (HTML text), support for columns is just on the horizon with new standards, but most browsers won't support them, yet.

• 2. Re: How to make text wrap like this
            smokingpanda Level 1

I want to make a poster, so a high res JPEG or something like that.

I haven't seen any options for columns/stuff like that  in fireworks.

• 3. Re: How to make text wrap like this
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Fireworks is for web/screen graphics, so you won't find features intended for printed output the way you do in programs like Illustrator or InDesign.

• 4. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                pixlor Level 4

smokingpanda wrote:

I want to make a poster, so a high res JPEG or something like that.

I haven't seen any options for columns/stuff like that  in fireworks.

Linda's correct that Fireworks isn't meant for print work. Fireworks doesn't have text layout/word processing abilities, so there's nothing for making columns or wrapping text around other shapes. Fireworks isn't the correct tool for this project.

If you are printing, then using Illustrator or InDesign is your best option. You could use probably even use a word processing program (such as Word), unless you're using a service such as CafePress, where you need an image, rather than, say, a .pdf file.

• 5. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

You can create a custom vector shape and then attach the text in the path to mimic the wrapping, but you won't be able to pull off the column effect with any great ease.

Jim Babbage

• 6. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                    smokingpanda Level 1

Hello,

Well, I do have access to InDesign at my school.  Is there a way to import what I have made from Fireworks (.png) into InDesign.  I have tried, but it won't work.  I have several individual images (each element) that it would be nice to import it as is into indesign, but I'm not sure if that is possible?  I most likely won't redo every since thing, because that would take forever.  Any ideas?  Options?  Thanks!

• 7. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                      smokingpanda Level 1

Well, I am giving in and going to use InDesign.  However, I don't want to redo all I have done in FW, so I am going to save each little picture individually.

What would be the best quality export that would import into InDesign nicely? 

Thank you!

• 8. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                        pixlor Level 4

But this is the point of going with InDesign: that you put in your text so that you can harness the power of InDesign to flow it along the columns and wrap it around inserted blocks automatically.

There's no point in simply copying images from Fireworks into InDesign. You'll just have some low resolution images in a layout program. It won't help.

Open InDesign. Open your Fireworks file. Select each text object in Fireworks, and copy the text from the vector object. Paste the text into InDesign. Maybe paste it into a text editor, first, so you have it as all one block.

Then, here's what you want to do in InDesign:

text flow: http://www.designertoday.com/Tutorials/InDesign/5245/Text.Flow.InDesign.CS3.Tutorial.aspx

and

text wrapping: http://www.creativepro.com/article/on-the-move-to-indesign-wrapping-text (sorry, this one's really old, look in the documentation)

Fireworks can't do either one of these things. Even Word and Acrobat (or another PDF creation program like Primo PDF) would work out better than Fireworks for what you want to create.

• 9. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                          smokingpanda Level 1

Yeah, I plan on re-typing in the text into indesign and doing that wrapping feature and all that good stuff.

But what I was talking about is that I actually have pictures that I designed in FW that I really don't want to recreate (I don't even know if I

could recreate them with indesign?).  I was just wondering what the best proceedure would be as far as exporting those files out of fireworks (best format), to put into indesign, and then do the text.

element.jpg

• 10. Re: How to make text wrap like this
                            pixlor Level 4

Oh!! *feels stupid *

Okay. Yes, images you definitely want to export from Fireworks. First, use the slice tool to draw rectangular slices around them. Name the slices in the Web layer in the Layers palette (the layer name then becomes the file name when you export, so that's helpful).

Make sure that you have a good size (in pixels) for the image. What is "good" depends on the resolution of the output device you plan to use and the physical size you want the image to be. To calculate the size you need in pixels, multiply the printer dpi by the size you want the image to be in the print. (A factor of two smaller, is sometimes okay, too.)

size in pixels = device dpi * size you want in inches

To export those images, I would recommend PNG24, because you will retain full color and not suffer data loss or compression artifacts (which you get if you export as .jpg). To do that, select each slice and go to File > Image Preview and set the file format to PNG24 and export.