11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 10:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Creating project of one hour or more

algesiras47

It took me 15 hours to burn to the 4gb folder a 1 hour slide show which included still images, narration and background music. I have burnt this slide show to disc using Nero. I built this project in PSE 8, then I transferred it  to Premiere element 8 to add background music. I did not include any fancy stuff. My PC run windows vista SP2, CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual core processor 4600+ 2,40 Ghz, Memory: 3.0 Gb, During the compilation I monitored CPU usage by PE 8 it oscillate between 90 and 97%. I have several long shows to built and need help to find a better way to achieve the same result.

My question is: Is it possible to design these long shows in small sections and somehow assemble these sections into one show and obtain a continuous presentation and avoid this 15 or so hours to get the compiled result. The technique I used make any adjustment procedure totally impossible.

• 1. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          My question is: Is it possible to design these long shows in small sections and somehow assemble these sections into one show and obtain a continuous presentation and avoid this 15 or so hours to get the compiled result.

Yes. This is often the recommend method. If you are doing the initial work in PSE, then you can Send to Premiere (or similar syntax), and there break up the SlideShow to do any final edits. Once done, Export/Share as DV-AVI. Then, when all of your segments are done, create a New Project with the proper DV Preset and just Import the segments for final output.

Question about Nero in the workflow, does the DVD authoring in PrE not meet your needs? Just wonder about this part of the workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
            algesiras47 Level 1

As far as using Nero instead of PrE to burn the DVD. I read in this or other forums that PrE or PSE could not burned tp disc when Nero or Roxio etc.. were installed. I choose this approach to avoid unknown problem. I never try to burn directly from PSE or PrE, I will try next time. Thanks for your info I will follow your procedure next time.

• 3. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that is close. Roxio and Nero each have a packet-writing module, that "hooks" the burner at bootup. These provide drag-n-drop capability to a blank DVD/CD. In Nero, the module is InCD and in Roxio, it's DLA. Going back a bit, these modules were installed by default, unless one did a Custom Install. Not sure if that has changed. These modules tell the OS that the burner is really a physical HDD, so that Windows Explorer will treat the burner like a HDD. This happens first thing, so when PrE, Encore or the older PrPro (through 2.0) are launched and directed to burn a DVD, they look for a burner, but the OS reports back that there are none. The Adobe programs do not know better, and believe the OS, reporting "No Burner Found."

Now, the workaround is to NOT install the packet-writing module. I also recommend against installing the Nero, or Roxio, "helper" modules, often referred to as "sniffers," or "watchers." These modules load at bootup and then monitor all folders to see if there is anything that Roxio, or Nero, might be called upon to use. They take up valuable resources, as they do their jobs, and often lock large AV files, while they "sniff" to see if this might be something that the host program can use, and might be called upon to use. I know what I want to use, and do not need these little guys taking up CPU cycles, or RAM or Virtual Memory. I do not want them locking ANY of my files. They might speed things up ever so slightly, but I do not need them.

Also, there are pure burning utilities, like ImgBurn, that interface with the hardware, so they can see the burner, regardless of what the OS thinks. Even with the packet-writing modules, these burning utilities will go to the hardware interrupts and get the real story.

I have nothing against either Nero, or Roxio, but do not install the packet-writing modules, or the sniffer modules. I have Nero on both of my machines, and it coexists fine with all of my Adobe programs, but I used a Custom install, to limit just what I installed.

Thanks for the info. I was just curious.

I have never used either Nero, or Roxio, to author, or burn a DVD, so do not know how well, or poorly, they function. I do know that many have had difficulty Importing the VOB's created in Roxio, into the Adobe programs. This indicates to me, that Roxio does not produce 100% DVD-compliant DVD-Video discs. Adobe Encore, or PrE, will.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                Barb__O Level 4

algesiras47 wrote:

It took me 15 hours to burn to the 4gb folder a 1 hour slide show which included still images, narration and background music. I have burnt this slide show to disc using Nero. I built this project in PSE 8, then I transferred it  to Premiere element 8 to add background music. I did not include any fancy stuff. My PC run windows vista SP2, CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual core processor 4600+ 2,40 Ghz, Memory: 3.0 Gb, During the compilation I monitored CPU usage by PE 8 it oscillate between 90 and 97%. I have several long shows to built and need help to find a better way to achieve the same result.

My question is: Is it possible to design these long shows in small sections and somehow assemble these sections into one show and obtain a continuous presentation and avoid this 15 or so hours to get the compiled result. The technique I used make any adjustment procedure totally impossible.

There is something that jumps out at me when reading this post about the long burn to a folder duration

the probable number of photo files and wondering if they are high resolution.

so first,

-- For a 1 hour slide show, approximately how many images do you have and what is their megapixel resolution?

I see that you created the slideshow initially in Photoshop Elements and then transferred it to Premiere Elements to add background music.

and second

-- I am curious how you added the Narration -- for example did you do narration tied to specific photo files and create that from within Photoshop Elements slide show editor ?  Or did you add a continuous narration using Premiere Elements ?

EDIT - Adding link to FAQ about Photo Resolution

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                  algesiras47 Level 1

1- Images.

I am glad you raised these questions. I have approximately 200 images (I

made a quick count), my images are large since I always use a resolution of

300bpi. I checked 3 images which give the following file sizes: 1.67 meg, 6

meg, 15 meg. I believe that most of my images are in the 6 meg range. I

thought about this problem and I was going to search for information to

adjust my images correctly to obtain a good display on a TV screen in future

shows

2- narration.

The narrations were recorded in PSE and tied to each image, the duration of

all images are adjusted to the lenght of narration.  The slide show was

transferred to Pe8

• 6. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                    Barb__O Level 4

algesiras47 wrote:

1- Images.

I am glad you raised these questions. I have approximately 200 images (I

made a quick count), my images are large since I always use a resolution of

300bpi. I checked 3 images which give the following file sizes: 1.67 meg, 6

meg, 15 meg. I believe that most of my images are in the 6 meg range. I

thought about this problem and I was going to search for information to

adjust my images correctly to obtain a good display on a TV screen in future

shows

2- narration.

The narrations were recorded in PSE and tied to each image, the duration of

all images are adjusted to the lenght of narration.  The slide show was

transferred to Pe8

point 2 first

-- That is a valid approach - but probably will impact the duration of time that Premiere Elements requires when it is creating the output video format.  As long as it causes you no problems (other than longer time), you might view it as a "cost" of the functionality of doing narration per slide and having the slide duration automatically adjusted (back in the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor).

My suspicion is that having the individual narrations tied to their respective photos causes more Premiere Elements processing when you are Sharing to your chosen Output format.  Therefore it would increase the elapsed time of that process.  How much - I don't know because I have never attempted to do any measurements.

point 1 - (probably even more significant than point 2)

I did not make my question clear - by sizes, I mean pixel resolutions of xxxx by yyyy.

If you look in the Organizer and select a representative photo file, then for the Properites panel (window) the pixel resolution numbers will appear in its first section fairly near the aa.bb MB sizes that you provided.

Note that the FAQ I referenced in my earlier post ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0 ) suggested 1000x750 pixel photo files for standard definition output and 2000x1500 for high def output. I suspect that your pixel resolutions are significantly higher and that that this is a significant contributor to the long times.  And it might also cause you some degradation of the image in your final output.

• 7. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                      Barb__O Level 4

algesiras47 wrote:

I don't want to ignore this question and Hunt's response about doing an intermediate Export to DV-AVI (when your final output will be standard definition).

A -- The issue of the pixel resolution of the photo files used to make the slide show does need to be addressed. Even if you don't redo any work for this slide show, descreased pixel resolution photos are recommended for future slide shows.

B --So presuming that the pixel resolution issue is or will be resolved, here are some of my thoughts for a workflow starting from the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor

-- Start doing small sections (logical subdivisions of the slide show) all the way back in the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor and

-- Send each section from the PSE Slide Show Editor to a unique Premiere Elements Project.  Break Apart in PE and do additional work (add music, perhaps balance volume of narration and music, etc) then produce that intermediate export of DV-AVI for each small section

-- Then use a new project to compile the entire show as Hunt is recommending and do the final output (burn to a DVD or a folder)

• 8. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                        algesiras47 Level 1

I thank you all for your help, my project is now completed successfully.

1- I checked the size of  few pictures they are between the standard and HD sizes as outlined by Barbara however  each picture  had a background loaded in PSE, then I do not know the size of each image as seen by Pe8.

2- I followed your advice to produce DV-Avi file. I took a gamble: I created a DV-AVI file of the project without breaking it. It took about 9 hours to produce it but it works fine.

3- I added  menu and greeting finish then I launch the burning to disc. It took about 35 minutes to create the final  file. I burned the file with Nero in no time.

This the end, truly Yours

• 9. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news and thanks for reporting your success!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                            Wucky

For what it's worth  . . .  most times when I've had issues rendering projects, it had little to do with video or

sound clips.  The culprit, at least in my case, has almost always been the STILL images being too large

(resolution much karger trhan video can ever begin to use).

• 11. Re: Creating project of one hour or more
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, overly large stills can create major issues. First, they require tons more resources, than most computers can offer up, and next the quality will suffer, as the Scaling algorithms in an NLE are inferior to those in an image processing program, like Photoshop/PSElements. This is one time, where bigger is NOT better, and on two fronts.

Thanks for commenting,

Hunt