5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 8:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Offline files in Prem Pro CS3

warby23

Hi, I seem to be having issues with offline files in Premiere Pro CS3 and I am not sure how to rectify this. After searching the forum for similar threads I was unable to finad any that solved my problem. My problem is as follows:

I import clips into CS3, select the parts of the clips that I want to use and then drag them into the desired space in my timeline. I click File>Save As and save the project, close CS3 down and re-open it and some of my clips are showing as offline. When I right click on the clip in my timeline and select reveal in Premiere the imported clip that it relates too is highlighted. I have not renamed/moved any of the files on my computer so the issue can not be down to the file not being located by CS3. I have also noticed that at the top of my timeline there is a red line with missing parts where the clips appear to be offline, I have attached a screen shot with a little information on it for you to look at in hope that you understand my problem a little more. Once again it is only certain clips that are being reported as offline.

Can anyone please explain to me why this is happening or more importantly how I can fix the problem? One work around I have found is that if I double click the clip in the timeline so that it appears in the source window (Where my writing is in the attached file) and simply drag it back into the timeline over the top of itself the clip plays. but when i save and exit the project they appear offline again when I re-open it.

Thanks in advance for your time in helping me out with my issue

premier error.jpg

• 1. Re: Offline files in Prem Pro CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Where are these files located? Are they on a network drive, or on an external? Did you do anything regarding these files, like Rename, Move, Delete, etc.? There has to be some reason that the links are being lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Offline files in Prem Pro CS3
            warby23 Level 1

The files are located on my root drive in My Video's folder. I have not moved them, renamed them nor deleted them. I simply closed down CS3 and then reopen it.

It is happening on several projects too not just one project!!

• 3. Re: Offline files in Prem Pro CS3
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. Let's think about this for a moment. The PRPROJ file (the Project file) is but an XML database with links to Assets and then instruction sets on that tell the program what you have decided to do with the data from those Asset files. Somehow, PrPro's PRPROJ file is not finding those links. It could be corruption of the file, or some of the things that I mentioned above. What could be happening with the PRPROJ XML file? Something is messing it up, and our task is to find out what, and why.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Offline files in Prem Pro CS3
                warby23 Level 1

yea its a very strange issue, I have just opened myproject and created a 2nd sequence. I did NOT re-import any of the files. I then created my timeline again on sequence 2, saved the project with (File, Save) closed down CS3 and reopened my project. The clips in Sequence 2 all work fine but the some of the clips in seuence 1 are showing as offline. This is very strange as I am using the exact same clips.

Maybe some curruption with my Sequence 1??? I may re-install CS3 and see if the issue re-occurs. Thanks for your help Bill, much appreciated

• 5. Re: Offline files in Prem Pro CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Somehow, it does appear that you are getting corruption in the PRPROJ file. Something is causing the links to not hold up.

One test would be to take a copy of your PRPROJ and open it in NotePad. Do a Find for your Asset names, the ones that are offline in Sequence 1, but appear in Sequence 2. Is the Path the same for the files in both Sequences? That would not tell you WHY there was a lost link, but could possibly confirm that the link has been lost.

Good luck, and wish I had more ideas for you,

Hunt