4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 4:55 PM by chantedesiren

No arrows on UIScrollBar

chantedesiren

I have followed several tutorials online to create a scroll bar or scroll arrows for text, however none have worked.

It seems the simplest way is to use the UIScrollBar, but it will not work in my Flash file. I create the dynamic text box and drop the UIScrollBar on it from the components panel, the scroll bar attaches but only shows up as a white rectangle with no arrows. When I test it it stays the same. I don't think it's just the color because when I hover over or click where arrows should be nothing happens, the text will not scroll. I can click and highlight the text to make it scroll, so I know the additional text that isn't showing up is there, I just can't scroll down to see it.

The weird thing is in another flash website I have the UIScrollBar does work. I can drag the problem one from the first file into the second and suddenly the arrows appear. I even tried creating a new text box with the UIScrollBar in the working file then dragging it over to the problem one, but the arrows disappear and the bar turns into a white rectangle again.

Using this scrollbar is not ideal for me, I would prefer to use just arrows, that look would match my site much better, however, that won't work either, so it seems this would be the easiest alternative if someone can help me. I've searched online and found many people with the same problem, but no solution that works for me. Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: No arrows on UIScrollBar
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you want to make your own scrollbar (or just arrows), what's the problem?

• 2. Re: No arrows on UIScrollBar
            chantedesiren Level 1

Well, when I've tried that it won't work either. I've tried following five

different tutorials (at least) and none work.

The best one I've found so far is

http://www.spoono.com/flash/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=6. I can get this one

to work if I do it in a whole new file, but when I create it or drag it in

the website I have and test it the text does not show up in the text box and

when I click the arrows I get the error "Target not found:

Target="uptrigger" Base="_level0.pages"" in compiler errors. I know I have a

text file in the same folder as the flash file, I've checked.

So, it seemed to me that fixing the UIScrollBar would be the easiest, but

I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to this. Either way I can't get text to scroll.

I don't remember if I mentioned this either, but the website I'm working on

is a template I bought. I'm not sure if that changes anything.

• 3. Re: No arrows on UIScrollBar
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

start with a new fla.  create a dynamic multiline textfield on stage and assign an instance name (in the properties panel), say tf.  then copy a lot of text from some webpage and use:

tf.text="paste the text you copied between the two quote symbols";

do you see your text when you test your fla?  can you scroll the text by clicking in the textfield and using the arrow down and/or the mouse wheel?

• 4. Re: No arrows on UIScrollBar
                chantedesiren Level 1

Unfortunately I still can't get either of those ways to work. But, I found a

scroll bar buried in a pop out menu in the template that I got to work after

messing around for a bit. It bothers me that I don't know why the other two

methods wouldn't work, but I just don't have the time to try to figure it

out right now. Thank you so much for your help and input though.