5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 2:15 PM by the_wine_snob

Newbie question:  video from still images

n8turepix Level 1

I'm trying to figure out if I need Premiere Pro or if Premiere Elements will do for this task.  (newbie, be gentle!)

I have a collection of still images that I want to produce a DVD with.  These images are very high resolution, much larger than any TV display.  Besides the simple slideshow format of one image transitioning into another, I also want to move a 1080p frame along arbitrary paths through the images changing the zoom level smoothly so the viewer has the illusion of a video presentation even though it's a still.  A friend using Final Cut Pro tells me this is called an "animation."  It is possible that I want to both zoom and move the frame simultaneously, and the path could be any angle or possibly a curve.

Can Elements achieve this?  If not, what are your recommendations?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Newbie question:  video from still images
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE can do this for you. Since you are basically working with still images, rather than AV Assets, choose a Project Preset that matches your intended output. What is that, BD?

Then, resize your stills in PS/PSE to what you need for that Preset, to allow for Pans on Zoomed out images. Personally, I will resize/Scale to just what I need. If I have 1000 images, where I will not need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, they are sized to the Project Preset Frame Size, and then the few, that do need to be sized to accommodate Pans, while Zoomed out, will get a few more pixels, but not more than I calculate I will need.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on Scaling/resizing to what is needed in PS with automation, and most of the tips translate to PSE, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Newbie question:  video from still images
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to second Hunt's suggestion, you absolutely MUST size your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size if you want to use them successfully in Premiere Elements. If you try to use photos directly from a digital still camera, the program will run very slowly or crash completely when you try to burn your disc.

Trust us on this.

• 3. Re: Newbie question:  video from still images
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              If you try to use photos directly from a digital still camera, the program will run very slowly or crash completely when you try to burn your disc.

And, the resultant quality will actually suffer. The Scaling algorithms in PS and PSE are better, than in PrE (or even PrPro), and one has more control over the images. This is a perfect instance where bigger is not better. As Steve mentions, undue stress will be placed on the system too.

Video is very different than print. One needs to think video and disregard what they might have experienced with print.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Newbie question:  video from still images
                n8turepix Level 1

Thanks guys!  The output is likely BD though I might also do a widescreen DVD.  Is the limitation of 1000 pixels something that's intended to sell Premiere Pro for people wanting true HD resolution?  With the price difference I'm likely to go with Elements for now until I get some experience. 

• 5. Re: Newbie question:  video from still images
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Is the limitation of 1000 pixels something that's intended to sell Premiere Pro for people wanting true HD resolution?

The 1000 x 750 suggestion is for an SD/DVD-Video Project. With a BD Project, you would bump that up to match your intended output, say 1440 x 1080, with a bit of room to Pan on a Zoomed out image.

Personally, for an SD Project, I will Scale the vast majority of the images to the exact size that I need - 720 x 480. When I have a few images that will be Panned on, while Zoomed out, I will calculate the movement that I need and resize to those dimensions. The 1000 x 750 size takes the possibility of the Pan into account. I like to match things up as perfectly as I can, even if it means Scaling some image to one size, and others to another. Many just want something that will probably work for all images and just Scale to one size for everything.

The larger the image vs the Project's Frame Size, the more processing power will be needed, and the more Scaling that will be heaped onto PrE, resulting in slightly lower quality, as opposed to resizing in Photoshop.

I'm not positive about the limit in PrE, but in its "big-brother," PrPro, the limit is 4096 pixels in the largest dimension. Obviously, there are not many instances where one would want images that large, unless they needed to do a major Pan, while Zoomed out. It would not take too many such images, before the program is bogged down too much to function. If someone had such images, I would strongly advise that they look into Adobe AfterEffects to do the animations, and then output as a DV-AVI, or appropriate intermediate format, to be Imported into the NLE.

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt