8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 5:22 PM by Abdul Majid

frame blend unaffective?

westonwoodbury Level 1

Hi all,

Here again, once again stumped with Premiere's unwillingness to work properly/consistently and unable to find any other forum threads about my problem.

What's going on is that the clip option "Frame Blend" is not seeming to have any effect on my render in CS4.  In fact, when I take on and off, the state of the render remains the same.  In other words, if I've rendered and it's green, I turn off frame blend, and it stays green.  Turn back on, and it stays green.  It's pretty obvious it's just broken-disconnected from affecting my clips, as it renders like a charm, quickly, and in the amount of same time whether or not Frame Blend is checked or not--and the playback of the render is clearly frame to frame.  For example, if I slow it down to like 10% it's, step.... step... step... or about 3 frames a second.

The project is SD, the footage is HDV captured in Ppro as mpeg, it's on a OS X 10.5.6 .

Here's the kicker, the same project copy/paste from CS3 works just fine.  No changes what so ever and my render time shoots up (as expected) and it actually renders the Frame Blend, producing smoothe video.

I would just export the whole thing out of CS3, but CS3 particularly likes to crash randomly through the export (I've tried a variety of output formats and the standard copy/paste into a new project, timeline, etc).  Which is the reason I decided to take it to CS4 to begin with.

I'm going to try the last update for CS4 which apparently has to do with AVC-Intra.. but in the meantime I'd appreciate some help and advice.

Thanks!

- wb

• 1. Re: frame blend unaffective?
          westonwoodbury Level 1

And why on Earth can't CS4 remember what files it's indexed and rendered?  I've had and seen this problem countless times, where it seemingly randomly opens up a project as if none of the media files have been in the project been there before.  Everything will be Media pending, wait and Indexing again, and then have to be rendered again.  Lol .

- wb

• 2. Re: frame blend unaffective?
            shooternz Level 6
            I've had and seen this problem countless times, where it seemingly randomly opens up a project as if none of the media files have been in the project been there before.  Everything will be Media pending, wait and Indexing again, and then have to be rendered again.

I have never experienced this behaviour in any version of Premiere - currently CS4 fully updated (Windows XP32 Pro)

Do you get a Message "Media pending" or similar on your MAC?

• 3. Re: frame blend unaffective?
              westonwoodbury Level 1

I've seen it happen and experienced it on fully updated CS4 on OS X 10.5.X, XP, and Vista (64-bit I would guess)--all different machines, so different configurations.  Never had it happen in CS3.  It's like it just forgets the 3 media folders.  I'd be surprised if it's not more common.

- wb

• 4. Re: frame blend unaffective?
                westonwoodbury Level 1

Solution:

Who knows.

I ended up going back to my CS3 version of the project (where frame blending was working).  I had opened it in CS4 because CS3 was crashing when exporting, while CS4 wasn't.

I started exporting it in segments to actually make progress before crashes, and planned to put them all together after that, for the final export.

I accidently forget to click off "entire sequence" for my second segment, and hence it exported the entire sequence while I wasn't looking, and for some reason made it through without crashing.  The final output is dvd, so I then used CS4's AME to take that 'master' to mpeg2-dvd, and am using Encore CS4 to author with.

The crashing was random, btw, it did it after different amounts of time/on different frames every time. And to add even more to the randomness, it crashed with both CS3 fully updated, CS3 reinstalled at 3.0.0, and that reinstalled version then updated, and, the exact same sequence exports without crashes from CS4.

So, I guess it has something to do with a mixture of voodoo, luck, and the phase of the moon.  Good luck to anyone with a similar issue who finds this.

- wb

• 5. Re: frame blend unaffective?
                  Dario D.

Make sure you're up to date. My frame blending was also not doing anything, until I updated.

• 6. Re: frame blend unaffective?
                    SFL46 Level 3

It is myunderstanding that frame blend only works under certain circumstances--even if frame blend is checked.  I believe I remember reading on this board that frame blend is only used when rendering a clip with a time change applied.  Try searching this board.

• 7. Re: frame blend unaffective?
                      westonwoodbury Level 1

I'm fully up to date, that was the first thing I tried to no avail.  I was surprised that updating didn't fix it, I was expecting it to.

SFL, I had searched the forums and came up with nothing, hence my post beginning with 'unable to find any other forum threads about my problem'.

I'll mention again that a) the clips that aren't working have time remapping applied or constant time speed changes.  For example, one clip variables from anywhere from 10% to a 80% or so speed change, and many of the clips have been stretched with the stretch rate tool to fit gaps. I wouldn't be able to tell if frame blending was working or not if the speed wasn't changed and still at 100%.

And b) frame blending is working fine in CS3.  More details on this are above in my earlier posts, but basically the exact same sequence works in CS3 but doesn't work in CS4.  So the circumstances haven't changed between it working and not working.

My vote is some sort of translation bug when updating a CS3 project to CS4.  It also messed up a variety of other things (mentioned above) that made me decide to just go back to CS3 for the project and deal with the random export crashing.

Typical week using Adobe products powerful and sloppy. Thanks for the responses all,

- wb