13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 12:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?

Intercostal Level 1

It's the only thing I can think of that changed the clips in the timeline. I was having what looked like video card problems

within Premiere only where, for example, the read verticle timeline line would still show up if it was moved to another position...

so I'd have a block of red...kind of like a ghosting effect which went away when refreshing the screen.

Anyway, I got the latest CS3 patch and those problems went away but when I rendered a 7 minute sequence I noticed

a couple(2) of the files had shifted. I moved them back but don't understand why this happened.

I rendered a different sequence and have similar problems, except more (8 or so)of them. Some voice files are no longer

in sync and total solid red showing up in part of a clip even though it is not in the original file.

Does any of this sound familiar?

• 1. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Intercoastal,

Three questions:

What are the full specs. of the source files?

What are the full specs. of your Project Preset?

Did you also update your video driver to the very latest?

Do not recall any odd behaviors with CS3 and updates, but might have missed them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
            Intercostal Level 1

I don't mean to throw anyone off with the first paragraph I wrote,  although it may be related. The REAL, potentially major, problem is the clips shifting around in parts of the timeline and other anomalies.

By source files I assume you mean files imported into the timeline. They are mostly (1440 x 1080(1.333) 48000Hz 29.97 fps

Is that what you are refering to by full spec of the source files? There are also tiff sequences (1920 x 1080 square pixels)

Where do I locate the full Project Preset specs within Premiere?

The latest video driver, I believe, was installed with the new harddrive I got late last year. I don't know if  the video driver could be causing the clips to shift etc... 

• 3. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the Video Assets, I assume that these are MPEG/MP4. Is that correct? Do they use the H.264 CODEC?

As for the video driver, you are probably 12, or more, behind. That could well fix the red areas, though will probably not address the movement of the Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                Intercostal Level 1

The possible video card related problems were taken care of, it seems, through the patch a couple days ago. The only reason I brought them up is that it was what prompted me to update the patch. Now, I have bigger problems, which may or may not be related to the patch.

The videos are mpeg, shot with an HV20 camera, I don't know the codec, or how to find out what it is.

Here is an unexplainable problem that came up after the patch. The original mpeg of this POV shot of someone's legs running has no glitches like you see below. All of a sudden, coinciding with the patch...or possible coincidentally...... ther is a section of the POV shot, within Premiere only that has a 30 frame block of red, then a corrupted frame or 2, then back to normal.

But when I play the mpeg with  Windows media player, I don't get the 30 frames of red, and corrupted frame. It seems it's only with Premiere AND it has been in the timeline for months and played normally until now.

what were normal frames turned red for 30 frames

running_feet_002.jpg

At the tail end of the red frames there's this weird pixelation

running_feet_001.jpg

Then it's back to normal

running_feet_normal.jpg

• 5. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

To find all all of the attributes of the AV files, you can use the great, free utility, G-SPOT to gather all of it.

It's probably easiest to post a screen-cap of G-Spot's screen, with all the data showing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                    Intercostal Level 1

I cropped the gspot screen to this because all other fields were blank.

gspotscreen.jpg

• 7. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There was noting in the CODEC and the CODEC comments fields? That is very odd indeed. My first thought would be that the headers of the MPEG are corrupt, if G-Spot cannot gather that info.

Not sure what to suggest next.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                        Intercostal Level 1

There may be separate issues that occured at the same time. The already solved video card-like issue(which may be separate) the shifting of mpeg clips so they no longer align, timewise, with tif sequences(containing photoshop work like removing a sign or whatever from that mpeg) directly above them in the timeline, and the 30 frame red block of corruption affecting a particular clip.

The shifting of clips I can fix, hopefully it doesn't continue.

The video card-like issue stopped when I installed the patch.

The red portion corrupting a file only affected 1 file and only within Premiere. The file may have had that "predisposition"

for corruption because the camera was held while running and I did take out a few minor glitches( overlaying a couple photoshop retouched tifs to fix) previously...but there previously were certainly no

30 frames of red. Also, the POV running shot was literally the ONE shot to be replaced anyway...but for non file corruption reasons.

If I correct the problems( clip shifting) and they don't re-occur then I should be okay. It hits you like a ton of bricks when you're

putting the final touches on a film festival bound movie and unexplainable things happen.

Heres the whole creen capture from the above post, nothing in the codec fields.

whole.jpg

• 9. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

What camera did these files come from and how did you Import them into PrPro? Something is just not right with the files.

Also, if you go back to G-Spot, and look in the lower-left, you'll see some numbered squares in 3 columns. You only have the right-hand column available. Click on the numbered square there, and look for messages in the dialog box. You should get a 2 in the box, and click that. Look for messages again. You might get a 3, and click that. You will possibly get playback in the little "monitor" in G-Spot. How does the file play, and do you get error messages in G-Spot?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                            Intercostal Level 1

The mpeg files came from a Canon HV20 camera and were captured from within Premiere.

I haven't had problems with 99.8% of the video files used in the project and they've been in the project for about a year(while I've been creating a bunch of compositing and special effects added to the movie).

The only mpeg problem(prior to now) was 3 frames or so of glitches(very similar to the example in my previous post) in the POV running which I corrected by photoshop retouching  stills and reimporting/compositing those retouched TIF files directly above their glitched counterparts in the mpeg.

Those initial glitches could have well been caused by the camera reacting to movng up and down while the person holding the camera was running.

The completely red 30 frames(and 2 glitched frames on the end) is a whole new problem. This PARTICULAR mpeg may have some kind of predisposition for problems given that it had glitches on a couple frames previously. However, like I've mentioned, the mpeg does not play with 30 frames of red outside Premiere...it plays fine in Windows Media Player.

Below is the screen cap from Gspot after clicked the numbers. The other number plays the video and it plays without the 30 frames of red.

proposedcodec.jpg

• 11. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                              Intercostal Level 1

IF, the red glitch is just a coincidental 1 time anomally, I'm just concerned that clips shifting in the timeline by a few frames could happen again. I can correct them but if they keep moving it would become time consuming and make me ever vigilant awaiting for their reoccurance ...but I'm going to have to see if the happens.

• 12. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have any other Clips, Captured via CS3 from the Canon HV20 handy? When you run one of those through G-Spot, what is shown then?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Does a patch  in CS3 ever cause quirky problems?
                                  Intercostal Level 1

Different clips(same camera and capture) show the same info in Gspot. The codec area is never filled out.

Below is an example of the shifting problem within Premiere. On the left, in the source, is a previously rendered version of the whole sequence cued up to the exact time when the elevator sign shows up. On the right is what's now within the project, the actual timeline, where the elevator sign clip starts. It shifted several frames off.

This happens on several clips on all my projects I've checked. This has happened since I've applied the patch but is not neccesarily related to the patch. It seems to have happened only on mpegs but I'll have to double check.

whereclipsstart.jpg