12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 9:54 AM by str4ngS

Importing clips as video-only

str4ngS

Hi,

I'm creating a music video clip using Adobe Premiere CS2 (2.0) from different video sources, most of them has the format MPEG2. They also have audio. The problem is that I don't need their audio tracks at all, because I have external music as audio, but Premiere always conforms all the clips I import wasting several gigabytes caching the conformed audio to disk in PCM 32-bit float. I would like to import these files as video-only clips or turn off audio conforming (which I think I can't (of course) according to FAQ).

Yes, I have tried the XMP trick (no success).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      str4ngS

• 1. Re: Importing clips as video-only
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you can demux your Multiplexed files prior to Import and then only Import the Video stream. There are several muxing/demuxing utilities on the Web and many are freeware. I do not have any one that I would personally recommend, as having the Audio in the Project Panel has never been an issue. I just Delete the Audio stream, if not necessary. I do understand not wanting the CFA files, if one is running low on HDD real estate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing clips as video-only
            str4ngS Level 1

Thanks for your answer, Bill.

Well, I'd expect from a "professional" video editor software not to import audio if not wanted, but never mind, I'm getting used to Adobe-interpreted "professionalism". If I demux all the clips (more than hundred) to different files that would take twice as much disk space and also several minutes to do the job.

I do understand not wanting the CFA files, if one is running low on HDD real estate.

Do you understand not wanting wasting? It also wastes CPU a lot when generating these (in this case) useless files.

• 3. Re: Importing clips as video-only
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Professionalism starts at the source. If you start with crappy material, no professional tool will do the job without complaints. The same if you have a Rolls to transport you in a very comfortable and professional way from A to B, but you fill the tank with olive oil or other crappy material, you will not get very far.

• 4. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                str4ngS Level 1
                The same if you have a Rolls to transport you in a very comfortable and professional way from A to B, but you fill the tank with olive oil or other crappy material, you will not get very far.

Really, really wrong metaphor. Rolls does not run on olive oil, it does not support it. Adobe Premiere 2.0 does support "the crappy" MPEG2 format according to its specifications. Just for you I tested it using DV footage: it started generating peak files that are not as big as CFAs, but take hours to be generated (CPU-wasting). I couldn't import without audio at these files either, so your metaphor is not just wrong, it also failed the test. Think twice before you buy a Rolls

• 5. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                  str4ngS Level 1

Update. Still looking for a solution.

• 6. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If conforming, indexing and generating peak files takes hours, there is something wrong with your hardware. Couple of minutes looks OK, but if it is hours, you probably have olive-oil in your tank.

• 7. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with what Harm says, I just Imported 4 45 min + DV-AVI's with muxed PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Even on my aging workstation, it took about 5 mins. to complete. This was into an NTSC DV Project in PrPro 2.0. Even when working with 44.1 KHz material, the time is only increased by about 10%.

Something is not right.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                        str4ngS Level 1
                        Couple of minutes looks OK, but if it is hours, you probably have olive-oil in your tank.

Everything is all right Harm, there is no olive oil in the tank. There are rather batteries and electric-motor (I don't like oil companies).

Along with what Harm says, I just Imported 4 45 min + DV-AVI's with muxed PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio

Good, but I have imported 50-100 MPEG2 clips with durations from 15 mins to an hour. MPEG2 clips are my main working materials, so I won't be happier if Premiere generates peak files for DV in 5 minutes, I just tested this for Harm's sake. Conforming takes hours and wastes CPU and disk space, but it is completely unneccessary, because I won't ever use their audio tracks. In timeline I can Right Click -> Unlink a footage, so it will lose its audio track even when I double-click it and view in Source window. Why can't I import unlinked? If this can't be done natively (without workaround) this is another big shame for Adobe and Premiere. This should be a basic feature, like it is in every other Video Editing application.

• 9. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to file a Feature Request to allow one to ignore muxed Audio in an MPEG file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

If you import 100 MPEG's each around one hour long, so 100 hours in total, yes it may take one or two hours to conform them. But then, who cares? Your editing time will be significantly longer, because unless you name is Stephen Spielberg, nobody want to see more than max 3 hours out of those 100. And who cares about wasting space? 100 hours is only 1.3 TB, so what? Just get an additional disk.

• 11. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                              shooternz Level 6
                              Good, but I have imported 50-100 MPEG2 clips with durations from 15 mins to an hour. MPEG2 clips are my main working materials,

Just curious about your work flow , so  ...why is your source material 15 to 60 minutes long (per clip) in this format (MPEG2) ?

Hope you have an assistant editor to help on your edits!

• 12. Re: Importing clips as video-only
                                str4ngS Level 1
                                You might want to file a Feature Request to allow one to ignore muxed Audio in an MPEG file.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and do not want to pay hundreds of dollars for just one shamefully lacking basic feature, but good idea for those who would waste their money on that.

And who cares about wasting space? 100 hours is only 1.3 TB, so what? Just get an additional disk.

Are you telling me that 1.3TB is not that much even for a "feature" that is completely useless in my case? You serious? Well, I do care about wasting space (and all other resource). I know, you don't, and this is a big shame of yours. Just because you get a good salary for your great ideas on how to build a power-station-like computer for bloaty Adobe solutions, you cannot say that to people who are not as rich as you or don't like wasting.

This point of view of yours fuels the tendency that drives the whole world to its end. This wild-capitalist bunk what you too represent is making the world a worse place day after day. Do you know what environmental load does it cause to manufacture a single 1TB hard drive (no I did not ask how much it costs in the "market")? Also it costs money for some people who can't afford everything "new", it causes irreplaceable fossil fuels to be expanded and turned into air-poisoning and greenhouse gases. You still don't care, right? Where do you live? Amsterdam? Rotterdam? Where would you escape when the wild-capitalist wasting-encouraging tendency of yours will bring the whole North Sea over your country? I'm just curious. Or will you still have money to escape and continue your tendency?

Let's waste electric energy, let's waste oil, let's waste disk space, let's fund and praise lazy developers whose applications waste CPU, let's waste everything because we can afford it, right? This is the American way, but I'm so surprised because your country is the Netherlands where people are ecologically conscious as far as I know. Maybe I've thought this wrong, or you are just the exception who proves the "rule". I recommend watching the movie Age of Stupid. It's about you.

Just curious about your work flow , so  ...why is your source material 15 to 60 minutes long (per clip) in this format (MPEG2) ?

These are the source materials I have worked from for a long. They have these durations because they were captured like this, it's not intentional. No, I don't have an assistiant, I don't need it. I would need a resource-efficient video editor without bloaty soultions, but this is the one I'm afraid I'd never get. At most when people like Harm Millard are the community professional "cheerleaders" and encourage you to waste everything.