3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 11:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame

sonyc27 Level 1

Hey guys'n'gals,

I'm new at doing "advanced" (relative term) editing to video in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS4 version 4.2.1) and was hoping that 1) there's a way to change the output size of a video (IE: 640X480 to 480X640), 2) that someone can please tell me how, and 3) how to  rotate the video that's currently sideways.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

• 1. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brandon,

I'm not sure that I am following. You say that you have the Video shot vertically, i.e. rotated 90 degrees, but then want to Export to a vertical Aspect Ratio.

First, you can just choose a Desktop Preset, set the Aspect Ratio to match your footage, and then Export that to a delivery scheme that allows complete control of the Aspect Ratio - obviously not any of the DV/BD formats.

Now, if you want to Rotate that vertical footage to horizontal, you can use the fixed Effect>Rotate. Note: you will have to now resize your footage to fit into a horizontal Frame Size Aspect Ratio. This would then allow you to Export to a horizontal Aspect Ratio, but I am not sure that this is what you really want in the end.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
            sonyc27 Level 1

Hunt,

I'm trying to rotate and output a video that I filmed holding the camera sideways so that it is not sideways. After reading your post, I decided to scrap what I had (nothing major) and restart. In doing so, I found the tab with the video's output dimensions on it and changed them. Also, thanks to you, I was able to easily rotate the video so that it's vertical and won't hurt one's neck while watching it.

Thank you multiple times over,

Brandon

• 3. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brandon,

Glad that you got it sorted out. I was confused at what you needed for your output. A recent poster DID want a vertical video, as he wanted to mount the TV on the wall sideways. Not sure why, but I thought that maybe you had the same requirement.

Good luck,

Hunt