3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 11:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame

sonyc27

Hey guys'n'gals,

I'm new at doing "advanced" (relative term) editing to video in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS4 version 4.2.1) and was hoping that 1) there's a way to change the output size of a video (IE: 640X480 to 480X640), 2) that someone can please tell me how, and 3) how to  rotate the video that's currently sideways.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

• 1. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brandon,

I'm not sure that I am following. You say that you have the Video shot vertically, i.e. rotated 90 degrees, but then want to Export to a vertical Aspect Ratio.

First, you can just choose a Desktop Preset, set the Aspect Ratio to match your footage, and then Export that to a delivery scheme that allows complete control of the Aspect Ratio - obviously not any of the DV/BD formats.

Now, if you want to Rotate that vertical footage to horizontal, you can use the fixed Effect>Rotate. Note: you will have to now resize your footage to fit into a horizontal Frame Size Aspect Ratio. This would then allow you to Export to a horizontal Aspect Ratio, but I am not sure that this is what you really want in the end.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
            sonyc27 Level 1

Hunt,

I'm trying to rotate and output a video that I filmed holding the camera sideways so that it is not sideways. After reading your post, I decided to scrap what I had (nothing major) and restart. In doing so, I found the tab with the video's output dimensions on it and changed them. Also, thanks to you, I was able to easily rotate the video so that it's vertical and won't hurt one's neck while watching it.

Thank you multiple times over,

Brandon

• 3. Re: Newbie question: Rotating video and resizing the frame
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brandon,

Glad that you got it sorted out. I was confused at what you needed for your output. A recent poster DID want a vertical video, as he wanted to mount the TV on the wall sideways. Not sure why, but I thought that maybe you had the same requirement.

Good luck,

Hunt