4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 5:13 AM by LouisaBoyles

Paragraph wont move up to top of div

LouisaBoyles Level 1

Hello,

I am having a problem with my copyright note on the bottom right of my page. I cant seem to get it to the top of the div like my T&C's not on the opposite side. anyone know what I am missing?

Here is the link, thanks in advance.

http://www.denotestationery.com/denote_localroot1/denotehome.html

• 1. Re: Paragraph wont move up to top of div
          NateBaldwin Level 3

In the HTML, you need to move the copyright div so it's before the tandc (otherwise, it'll float to the right below tandc). If it's still not lining up, try getting rid of the paragraph margins in the CSS for the div. So, for starters, change this:

<div id="tandc">

<a href="home.html" class="tandclink">Terms & conditions</a>

</div>

<div id="copyright">

<p>© Copyright Denote Stationery. All rights reserved<p/>

</div>

..to:

<div id="copyright">

<p>© Copyright Denote Stationery. All rights reserved<p/>

</div>

<div id="tandc">

<a href="home.html" class="tandclink">Terms & conditions</a>

</div>

• 2. Re: Paragraph wont move up to top of div
            LouisaBoyles Level 1

Thanks for your reply Nate.

Hmmmmmmm, I have done both things you mentioned but still not happening.

Silly question, is it  because p & h tags have an empty line before and after? If this is the case then why is there not one after?

if I have no p tags wrapped around it then it looks fine, but I cant really have markup like that can I? I must have to have some tag wrapped around it?

Have updated the link for you below.

http://www.denotestationery.com/denote_localroot1/denotehome.html

• 3. Re: Paragraph wont move up to top of div
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Hmmmmmmm, I have done both things you mentioned but still not happening.

It's working fine. The only reason for mis-alignment now is default margins on the <p> tag.

Silly question, is it  because p & h tags have an empty line before and after?

If you're referring to empty lines in the code then, no, since browsers ignore whitespace in HTML code.

if I have no p tags wrapped around it then it looks fine, but I cant really have markup like that can I? I must have to have some tag wrapped around it?

It's fine to have text content without wrapping it in any tags. It'll inherit whatever styles are applied to the <body> tag. If none, then it shows browser defaults.

Text is usually wrapped with tags to give it semantic meaning (this is a paragraph, this is a header1, this is an ordered list, etc) and provide 'hooks' for styling with CSS.

e.g. if you add "#copyright p { margin: 0; padding 0; }" (without the quotes) to your CSS, that'll target just the <p> tag inside <div id="copyright"> and give you the alignment you're looking for.

• 4. Re: Paragraph wont move up to top of div
                LouisaBoyles Level 1

Thanks for your help John, It did the trick!