8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 5:06 PM by Bill Gehrke

Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?

RedRootPro

Greetings all - I've been a long time reader to this forum and thought I would bring a recent issue to the brilliant guys that Adobe seems to attract.

First the details:

Win 7 64bit
      AMD Athlon X2 250
      ATI Radeon 5770 (1GB GDDR5)
      3 gig RAM
      Standard issue WD hard drives, 7200RPM
      Masters Suite CS4 (yes, its legal)
      All the latest updates downloaded and installed as of 3/13/10

Project details:

Shot in 60i, training films, very cut and dry. Using Magic Bullet color correction, no other third party programs. All project files housed on a Western Digital external eSata drive, brand spankin new.

Timelines are done, and I am exporting to Adobe Media Encoder, using the presets MPEG-2 DVD and NTSC Prog Widescreen. I hit Start Queue, and things fire right up. At a seemingly random time, the coding just STOPS. No errors, no nothing. It just stops. I open a Windows Explorer window to verify that the drive is still available, and it is - I can play video off of it. AME doesn't crash, either - I can still select menu options, etc. Occasionally I get this error, but not all the time:

- Source File: C:\Users\REDROO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\(removed) BOH_33.prproj
      - Output File: I:\(removed)\Renders\Chapter 6a_1.m2v
      - Preset Used: NTSC Widescreen High Quality
      - Video: NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 drop frame [fps], Lower, Quality 4.0
      - Audio: 48 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo, PCM
      - Bitrate: VBR, 1 Pass, Min 1.50, Target 4.00, Max 7.00 [Mbps]
      - Encoding Time: 00:40:39
      3/12/2010 12:16:31 PM : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------
      Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.
      -----------------------------------------

My RAM does seem to be pretty maxed, and occasionally Windows alerts me that I have low memory available, but this should not be too much of an issue, correct?

I'm on a tight deadline (like most professionals) and have other projects waiting, but I'm seriously STUCK. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Josh
      Red Root Pro
      "Pools are great for holdin water..."

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
          Huntrex Level 2

You could seriously use a memory upgrade. Before I upgraded my RAM (4 GB) I experienced instability and errors in all the Adobe Production applications. After the upgrade to 8 GB and 64 Bit Windows 7 it has been smooth sailing.

Take a look at this thread

Huntrex

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
            RedRootPro Level 1

True - that has been on my to-do list for quite some time. However, I would hope that AME's render process would be significantly more reliant on my GPU and processor than my RAM, correct? I'm very willing to be wrong here, that was just my previous understanding of the rendering process.

I'm currently trying another render, I've moved the premiere project file to my internal drive and have kept the project elements (raw tape files, PSD's, etc.) on the external drive, and am now attempting to render to my internal drive. I don't have much reason for doing this other than I'm desperately trying to find a configuration that works.

Thanks a bunch!

Josh

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
              Huntrex Level 2

Rendering, and video editing in general, requires very large amounts of RAM. Adobe recommends a minimum of 12GB of RAM for optimal performance. It could be that the Media Encoder is just plain running out of memory. I'm not saying that this is definitely the answer, but it is a strong possibility.

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
                RedRootPro Level 1

UPDATE - have now moved up to 8GB of RAM per the advice, and I'm still nowhere. AME continues to

just STOP. No explanation, no error, just STOP.

Josh

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
                  Huntrex Level 2

I'm sorry to hear that. At least you now have more RAM, so your system is better equipped for editing. You do have 64bit OS, correct?

Let's try to get this narrowed down. Does the encoder stop at the same point in every export? If it does, turn on the "preview while encoding" check box in the encoder preferences to find out exactly where it stops.  Can you export other projects sucessfully?  Take a look at this Adobe help article.

Here's a post from another thread: "I was receiving the "Error compiling movie." and then the "Unknown  error" windows a LOT while simply trying to render my previews! But for me, the solution was simple: stop using Premiere in  multi-monitor mode.  I had bought another monitor for the obvious  reasons, but I assume that the video card is over-taxed trying to work  two monitors at once.  Once back in single monitor mode, I haven't seen  this error again!"

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
                    RedRootPro Level 1

I do have a 64 bit OS - Win 7. The RAM does provide a noticable difference in performance - things are much more "snappy" now, which I'm enjoying, but hasn't eliminated my problem.

The encoder does not stop at the same point, it seems to be quite random. I can view the files that I've exported (up until the point they cut off) and there's nothing going on in the clip that would be any sort of red flag - in other words, it is not stopping the coding at a point where a new color correction or title is being introduced, it had all happened previously. This is my first large project on CS4, and I don't have anything else to export at the moment!

I'm not running premiere in multi-monitor mode: I've got a 24" widescreen monitor that is my sole monitor.

I have COMBED the interwebs trying to find a resolution to this issue, and I am no where... I'm currently installing CS4 on a XP machine that I have that is pretty robust, and am going to try encoding on that, just to see if I get a different result.

Any suggestions at all would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
                      Huntrex Level 2

Just as a test, select the timeline in Premiere and hit "Control + A" to select all the clips in the timeline. Then right click one of the clips and select "Remove Effects". See if that makes any difference.

It may seem a little drastic, but if this issue cannot be solved, a complete OS reinstall may be in order.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Random Coding Interrupts?
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

RedRootPro wrote:

However, I would hope that AME's render process would be significantly more reliant on my GPU and processor than my RAM, correct?

Josh

That assumption is incorrect.  With CS4 there is essentially no GPU assistance.

Run my Premiere Pro CS4 Benchmark and see how well your system is tuned and setup for Premiere.