11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 9:10 AM by Larry G. Schneider

Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?

ufoldager Level 1

Hello!

I was wondering if it's possible to move an arrow shape along a circular path (the outer path og a regular circle shape) so that the arrow will always have a 45 degree angle from within the circle's centre?

I have a screenshot of circle shapes, and lots of arrows that needs to point outwards. But I would like to have the arrows keep into the right 45 degree angle regardless of its position on the circle's path, if that makes any sense at all.

Here's a screenshot of my model:

(The grey and yellow arrows needs to be indirectly, or directly, connected to a circle shape on the big model in the centre. They simply point outwards to the grey boxes outside which describe functions, etc.)

Picture1.jpg

• 1. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ufoldager,

I was wondering if it's possible to move an arrow shape along a circular path (the outer path og a regular circle shape) so that the arrow will always have a 45 degree angle from within the circle's centre?

I presume the angle applies to their inner end.

I have a screenshot of circle shapes, and lots of arrows that needs to point outwards. But I would like to have the arrows keep into the right 45 degree angle regardless of its position on the circle's path, if that makes any sense at all.

That sounds like simple arrows from the (outermost) circumference.

Here's a screenshot of my model:

(The grey and yellow arrows needs to be indirectly, or directly, connected to a circle shape on the big model in the centre. They simply point outwards to the grey boxes outside which describe functions, etc.)

It also depends on whether you wish to apply (multiple) additional straight arrow ends split from the rounded arrows as the New Processes.

If the assuptions are right, for simple 45 degree slanting arrows you may create one in a simple way starting at the top of the circumference and pointing 45 degrees upwards/right (or left), and then work with that and copies of it. You may rotate round the centre of the circle (reclicking it), or, especially with a larger number it may be more convenient to create a balancing copy and group the pair so they can be easily rotated, and ungroup+delete the surplus afterwards.

If you wish to have wide arrow ends (like the New Processes) with a narrow one at the far end at 45 degrees, you may do the same including both (creating the original at the top of the circumference).

If you wish to have narrow ones from different positions of the wide one, those should be made to start with. In this case, there may be a number of different combinations.

Especially if you work with complicated designs like the last one, it may be convenient to keep the set you are working on unrotated and rotate the rest; that is much easier if you use balancing copies.

To be able to unrotate, you may keeping track, or you may place the centre of the circle at X=Y=0 and add a horizontal line centred on it; using the end point of that line, you may unrotate using the Smart Guides to tell you when it hits the Page.

• 2. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
            ufoldager Level 1

I am actually referring to the thin, medium-grey arrows that extend from the black (2 pt.) stroke medium-grey circle that has the words "Process Ownership" (bottom) and "Process Governance" (top) in it.

Those thin, grey arrows should have their rear end "attached" to the blackened stroke of that particular circle, so that when I move/rotate one of the arrows, it will move along the black STROKE path, yet always remain in a constant angle of 45 degrees of the black stroke path.

Notice how there are quite a few of those grey arrows that extend from the black stroke path already, although some of them aren't really set in a smooth and nice 45 degree angle?

That's what I'm trying to figure out if there's a technique (or maybe even a tool) to work with shapes/paths in such a way. It would be really cool.

• 3. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?

ufoldager,

In that case, the first and last suggestion applies, with the following amendment:

You  may create one arrow in a simple way starting at the top of the black circle and pointing 45 degrees upwards/right (or left), and then work with that  and copies of it. You may rotate round the centre of the circle  (reclicking it), or, especially with a larger number it may be more  convenient to create a balancing copy and group the pair so they can be  easily rotated, and ungroup+delete the surplus afterwards.

It  may be convenient to keep the arrow you are working on unrotated and  rotate the rest, especially if you are using different lengths, which I believe you must be; that is much easier if you use balancing copies.

To be able  to unrotate, you may keeping track, or you may place the centre of the  circle at X=Y=0 and add a horizontal line centred on it; using the end  point of that line, you may unrotate using the Smart Guides to tell you  when it hits the Page.

You will probably have to rearrange underway to avoid arrows crossing through boxes.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                JETalmage Level 6
                Notice how there are quite a few of those grey arrows that extend from the black stroke path already, although some of them aren't really set in a smooth and nice 45 degree angle?

I don't see any that make a 45° angle with the black circle. Are you saying you want the arrows perpendicular (90°)?

JET

• 5. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                  ufoldager Level 1

Yes, perpendicular. 90 degrees. I apologize for the confusion, lol.

• 6. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                    JETalmage Level 6

If different length arrows are allowed, (you have alot of clutter to point to arround the circular diagram; using different length arrows might helpful), the simplest way would be:

1. Draw the first arrow radiating from the center of the circle, not from its circumference. Just make sure the circle has a fill, and the arrow is behind the circle.

2. Black Pointer: Select the arrow.

3. Copy. PasteInFront.

4. WhitePointer: click the outer endpoint of the arrow to select it.

5. Drag the selected endpoint.

This is the method that Jacob is trying to explain:

When you rotate something with the Rotate Tool, you don't have to rotate it about a point on or associated with the object itself. You can rotate about any location, even one remote from the object:

1. Turn on the page rulers (View>Show Rulers).

2. Drag a horizontal RulerGuide out of the horizontal ruler. Position it at the vertical center of the circle.

3. Drag a vertical RulerGuide out of the vertical ruler. Position it at the horizontal center of the circle. Now you have two guides serving as "crosshairs" to locate the center of the circle.

4. Black Pointer: Select the arrow.

5. Copy. PasteInFront. Now there is a copy of the original arrow positioned exactly on top of the original. The copy is selected.

6. Rotate Tool: Click (don't drag) at the center of the circle. That positions the Rotation Anchor (you'll see a little marker) at that location.

7. Move your cursor a little beyond the arrowhead of the arrow. Mousedown and drag upward or downward. The selected arrow will rotate about the Rotation Anchor, thereby maintaining perpendicularity to the circle.

JET

• 7. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?

Ah, ufoldager.

In that case it is even easier:

You may create one vertical arrow starting at the top of the black circle, and then work with that and copies of it. You  may rotate round the centre of the circle (reclicking it), or create a balancing copy and group the pair so they can be  easily rotated, and ungroup+delete the surplus afterwards.

You may increase/decrease the length of the individual arrow outwards/inwards according to need.

• 8. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?

Sunday cross posting.

JETalmage wrote:

... This is the method that Jacob is trying to explain:

I like that.

• 9. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                          JETalmage Level 6

Illustrating the methods described in Post 6:

Using arrows that extend all the way from the center of the circle, and duplicating them by AltDragging just their outer endPoint:

Locating the Rotation Anchor with the Rotate Tool, then AltDragging outboard of the whole diagram:

JET

• 10. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                            JETalmage Level 6

Mildly interesting Pattern Brush & Distort Effect:

JET

• 11. Re: Arrows that move/rotate along an axis?
                              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's tres cool, JET.